A subring of the reals???

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

tom.young84

A subring of the reals???

Postby tom.young84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Given this set:

Q[a+b[imath]\sqrt[3]2[/imath]+c[imath]\sqrt[3]4[/imath] : a,b [imath]\in[/imath]Q}

I am able to show this is closed under addition, has additive inverse, and has additive identity. I am stuck proving that this is closed under multiplication.

As a side question, are the above four things sufficient to show that this is indeed a subring. We have not "learned" that showing that subtraction and multiplication are closed is sufficient to demonstrate something is a subring.

Qoppa

Re: A subring of the reals???

Postby Qoppa » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Remember: [imath]a^xb^x=(ab)^x[/imath]. That includes cases where [imath]x=1/3[/imath] (like you have). With this in mind, just multiply two generic elements and see that the product can be massaged into the desired form.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

tom.young84

Postby tom.young84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:00 am UTC

Cool.

Finally, is it just four axioms that demonstrate that a subset is a subring?

Suffusion of Yellow

Postby Suffusion of Yellow » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:00 am UTC

tom.young84 wrote:Cool.

Finally, is it just four axioms that demonstrate that a subset is a subring?

Also it has to be non-empty, but that's trivial here.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:01 am UTC

tom.young84 wrote:Finally, is it just four axioms that demonstrate that a subset is a subring?

Well, since a subring is a subset of a ring, you can deduce most of the ring axioms because they hold in the larger structure. You really only need to check that contains the zero element and is closed under addition, multiplication, and taking additive inverses. If these three properties hold, all of the ring axioms can be shown to hold as well, and that's the real definition of a subring: a subset of a ring which is itself a ring under the inherited operations of addition and multiplication.

Suffusion of Yellow wrote:Also it has to be non-empty, but that's trivial here.

If it contains the additive identity/zero element, it is certainly non-empty.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

tom.young84

Postby tom.young84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:49 am UTC

This is just to make sure I did multiplication right:

ea+(af+eb)[imath]\sqrt[3]2[/imath]+(ag+bf+ec)[imath]\sqrt[3]4[/imath]+(bg+cf)[imath]\sqrt[3]8[/imath]+cg[imath]\sqrt[3]16[/imath]

Additionally...this looks like it will be a pain to prove it is a field

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 am UTC

This depends on your definitions, but if your rings are required to have an identity element, you also need to check that your subring contains 1.

Note that it's not enough to show that the subring has an identity. If your rings are required to have identity, {(n,0) | n in Z} is generally not considered to be a subring of Z x Z.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

tom.young84

Postby tom.young84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 am UTC

Don't I have to computer a solution to the equation ax=1.

As such, won't this inverse be obnoxious since there is a lot of book keeping.

t0rajir0u

Postby t0rajir0u » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:24 am UTC

It will be if you insist on writing everything out explicitly, but there are very general ways to prove statements like this that require much less work.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:26 am UTC

tom.young84 wrote:Additionally...this looks like it will be a pain to prove it is a field

When did fields come into this? I thought you just had to show it was a subring?
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

tom.young84

Postby tom.young84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 am UTC

It was attached to the question. I was consumed by showing the explicit details of how multiplication is closed.

What are the general ways to show this is a field? I believed I calculated what the inverse would look like, but if there is one that requires far less work I would like to know for future reference.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:55 am UTC

Hint: It is a finite-dimensional vector space over Q, so injective linear maps from itself to itself are also surjective.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

edahl

Postby edahl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 am UTC

I think the slickest way of checking if the subset E of a ring R is a subring is the following: For all x, y in E, x-y is in E, and xy is in E. If you want a ring with identity, substitute the last check with xy^(-1) edit: multiplication isn't necessarily a group. You should verify that this accounts for all the axioms of a ring, which yes you are correct about.
Last edited by edahl on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

edahl wrote:If you want a ring with identity, substitute the last check with xy^(-1).

There are things which are subrings which don't satisfy that last requirement. E.g. F[x2] ≤ F[x].
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

t0rajir0u

Postby t0rajir0u » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

You show that something is a field by verifying the field axioms. Anyway, I never understood this [imath]x - y[/imath] condition. It's usually just as hard to verify as showing closure under addition and additive inverse, and either way it doesn't take much time.

What I meant by my comment is that there are really slick ways to show closure under addition, multiplication, and division, but from the look of the OP it sounds like you haven't learned about quotients yet, so you should wait for that.

tom.young84

Postby tom.young84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

We have just finished up our summary of subrings. So I'm not sure of all the slick tricks.

Additionally, I have computed by hand what the solution to ax=1 would be (the condition to verify this is a field according to Introduction to Algebra). It's ugly and I'm not sure if I did it right:
[math]\frac{a-b[imath]\sqrt[3]2[/imath]-c[imath]\sqrt[3]4[/imath]}{a2-b[imath]\sqrt[3]4[/imath]-2bc[imath]\sqrt[3]8[/imath]-c2[imath]\sqrt[3]16[/imath]}[/math]

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

Quick simplification - what's the cube root of 8?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

tom.young84

Postby tom.young84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

2 !

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

tom.young84 wrote:We have just finished up our summary of subrings. So I'm not sure of all the slick tricks.

Additionally, I have computed by hand what the solution to ax=1 would be (the condition to verify this is a field according to Introduction to Algebra). It's ugly and I'm not sure if I did it right:
[math]\frac{a-b[imath]\sqrt[3]2[/imath]-c[imath]\sqrt[3]4[/imath]}{a2-b[imath]\sqrt[3]4[/imath]-2bc[imath]\sqrt[3]8[/imath]-c2[imath]\sqrt[3]16[/imath]}[/math]

That doesn't look like an element of your subring. I mean, it might be, but how would you know since it doesn't have the correct form?

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

Then you'll want to simplify the cube root of 16 as well.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

edahl

Postby edahl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

t0rajir0u wrote:You show that something is a field by verifying the field axioms. Anyway, I never understood this [imath]x - y[/imath] condition. It's usually just as hard to verify as showing closure under addition and additive inverse, and either way it doesn't take much time.

What I meant by my comment is that there are really slick ways to show closure under addition, multiplication, and division, but from the look of the OP it sounds like you haven't learned about quotients yet, so you should wait for that.

It's just a cool little thing you can do as an exercise (I'm taking abstract algebra now, and I thought it was a bit cool), so it's not something to pay too much attention to.

And yes, I did err somewhat in my post up there, so don't listen to that crap!

Return to “Mathematics”