Math identification

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Zorlin

Math identification

Postby Zorlin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:31 am UTC

Hello!

So... I have this shirt.

I like this shirt. A lot. However, I feel kind of like a dick for wearing it without knowing what mathematics it actually depicts. I'd like some help identifying it and hell, possibly understanding it.

Here's a better shot of the text:

Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

antonfire

Re: Math identification

Postby antonfire » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:43 am UTC

The standard joke is that those are Maxwell's equations, which describe (among other things) the behavior of light. In this case for some godawful reason or another they appear to be in spherical coordinates. Probably to make it look more intimidating.

That's my guess anyway. Honestly I don't feel like converting Maxwell's equations to spherical coordinates to check.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:05 am UTC

:| So the shirt is a way of pissing off people who actually know what it is about, and/or making me look like a dick?

Why thank you, Department of Education of Western Australia! <3

[although I suppose it makes sense for light to be interacting with a sphere if we're discussing Earth]
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

Those are Maxwell's equations in spherical coordinates. It's not pissing off anybody who knows what's going on, it's just written inelegantly to make it look cool. It's actually kind of cool as a Maxwell's equations describe, in particular, the behaviour of light. I'd chuckle gregariously if I saw you wearing that; I wouldn't be the least bit offended.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

I can testify that would have pissed off my differential calculus professor, who hated tying down structures with coordinates. Indeed, he even criticized my more ordinary shirt with the divergence and curl notations, because he preferred some two-equation formulation of it. I've managed to repress the memory, but they both contained notation that I haven't seen before or since (one of them may have been the D'Alembert operator), and so the elegance was quite lost on me.

t0rajir0u

Postby t0rajir0u » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

Maxwell's equations take five symbols to write down if you do it properly.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

At the risk of being dreadfully off topic, you're rather handsome. Damn you.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:24 am UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:At the risk of being dreadfully off topic, you're rather handsome. Damn you.

I thought the same thing! (Not to be homosexual. You're just a good looking guy.)

wst

Postby wst » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:26 am UTC

I'd let you look after my teenage daughter that I don't have. But you have a bit of the 'Cedric Diggory' to your look. I'd worry you'd bite her or something. *hides*
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:30 am UTC

Kurushimi wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:At the risk of being dreadfully off topic, you're rather handsome. Damn you.

I thought the same thing! (Not to be homosexual. You're just a good looking guy.)

Interestingly, my first thought was that if twilight didn't suck that is what edward would look like.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Return to “Mathematics”