Divide and Conquer Equation?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Archron

Divide and Conquer Equation?

Postby Archron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

I was wondering if somebody could come up with an equation for divide and conquer. Where you divide/split by 9 each time.

voidPtr

Re: Divide and Conquer Equation?

Postby voidPtr » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

Do you mean you're looking for an algorithm to perform some specific task by recursively subdividing the problem into 9 subproblems?

Or do you just mean write any equation that can be divided into 9 sub-equations? Dividing an equation into 9 sub-equations doesn't seem to be a useful thought exercise, nevertheless, if that's what you're actually looking for, here's an equation that can be broken down into 9 sub-equations.

Multiply any number by a 9 digit number by adding the powers of ten of the second number:. E.g.:

423 * 512543123 = ( 423 * 5000000000) + (423 * 100000000) + (423 * 2000000) + ... and so on...

Another suggestion, you could modify the mergesort algorithm to subdivide by 9 instead of 2.

Do either of these answers point you in the right direction? If not, you'll need to provide more context as to what you're looking for.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:07 am UTC

It could be a question about computational complexity of divide and conquer.

(Should this post be in Computer Science?)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Archron

Postby Archron » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:35 am UTC

I was looking for way to recursively subdivide a problem into 9 subproblems.

Sagekilla

Postby Sagekilla » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:43 am UTC

Archron wrote:I was looking for way to recursively subdivide a problem into 9 subproblems.

This is a very problem dependent question. As voidPtr said before, it would be easier if you told us what you're working on.

Otherwise, there's no answer that we can really give you since the question is too vague in the first place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin#Sinking wrote:Researchers found a cheese sandwich which exhibited no visible signs of decomposition, and was in fact eaten.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

Archron wrote:I was looking for way to recursively subdivide a problem into 9 subproblems.

First you take your problem and find nine subproblems in the problem. Then break it up into those subproblems. Repeat until you can solve the problems at hand.

You're welcome.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

I guess a non tree. Like a quad tree to store an image, but using 9 not 4... More a datastructure than an algorithm.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Return to “Mathematics”