Logic, Proofs, Sets, Functions, Number Theory

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

radio_head

Logic, Proofs, Sets, Functions, Number Theory

Postby radio_head » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Hey everyone,

I'm taking a course on (as listed in the subject line) logic, proofs, sets, functions, number theory (integers and division, primes), and mathematical induction.

And of course, I'm lost! I've been a great Math student all my life, and I thought this stuff was easy and proceeded to procrastinate. Turns out it's actually pretty hard to wrap your mind around this stuff.

As of today I feel pretty good with logic, predicates, proofs (direct, by contradiction, by contra-positive) and sets. When it comes to functions (one-to-one, onto) I'm a bit confused because the type of things you have to show/prove I find are quite difficult to do.

I find my textbook does very little in the way of helping me solve the assignments my teacher gives me, while at the same time my teacher's lecture notes are useless since I don't know the solutions to the examples he as given in class.

This brings me to the reason I'm creating this topic: I am humbly requesting any books or online resources where I can read up and learn about all this good stuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

voidPtr

Re: Logic, Proofs, Sets, Functions, Number Theory

Postby voidPtr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:37 am UTC

What level is the course? These topics are very standard in a typical first or second year discrete structures course. I'd go to your university bookstore or used bookstores or whever and check under the math/computer science section for discrete math related books and find one you like that covers these selection of topics.

Cheers.

Return to “Mathematics”