Graphing!

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

typhy

Graphing!

Postby typhy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 am UTC

I'm in the tenth grade, and I've been challenged by my math teacher to graph the bat symbol, because we were working with piecewise defined functions lately. After about four days of working and learning about ellipses and quadratics, I have successfully made it on my TI-84. I'll post my Y= if you all want, since I have no way to post a picture.

What's the coolest thing you've made on a graphing calculator?

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Re: Graphing!

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:30 am UTC

While bored in math class in high school, my hobby was programming games on my graphing calculator. The best two games I made this way were a racing game where you had to stay inside a track which gradually got narrower and narrower, and another game where you had to dodge obstacles.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

cba

Postby cba » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

well I have never used a graphing calculator cos they were too expensive for our school to afford (apparently...), but I recently came up with an equation which would describe a 3D pacman sitting on the origin opening and closing its mouth :P
For the first time ever! flatland in a mind-boggling 3D!
import antigravity

SomeFloridaKid

Postby SomeFloridaKid » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:32 am UTC

typhy wrote:I'm in the tenth grade, and I've been challenged by my math teacher to graph the bat symbol, because we were working with piecewise defined functions lately. After about four days of working and learning about ellipses and quadratics, I have successfully made it on my TI-84. I'll post my Y= if you all want, since I have no way to post a picture.

What's the coolest thing you've made on a graphing calculator?

What's your Y=? :D

And for me, I don't really use my graphing calculator much. But the coolest and most useful thing i've been able to do is prove a bunch of theorems by logic in the future chapters in my geometry book, which my teacher said if i could do then i could use them whenever i wanted to facilitate my life. I didn't even memorize the proofs, just what the theorems stated.
EXPAND: (a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n

GENERATION 191,184,382 : The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 am UTC

The coolest and last thing I ever did with my graphing calculator was half of a simple Lisp implementation. I decided that TI-Basic was the worst language of all time that didn't explicitly include terribleness in it's list of design goals, so I started writing a Lisp in it, so I could forego ever using it again. Then I realized that I hadn't actually used my graphing calculator for anything since taking multi-variable calculus (computers are just too powerful). So I stopped. But I did get through most of a garbage collector, and could evaluate simple expressions. It was educational at least.

Return to “Mathematics”