Strange Calculus Question

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Eastwinn

Strange Calculus Question

Postby Eastwinn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

I have no idea how to search this. Let's say I have two continuous functions on (0, c), f(t, x) and g(t, x), for which the following have no known closed forms:

[math]\int_{0}^{c}f(t,x)dt[/math]
[math]\int_{0}^{c}g(t,x)dt[/math]

If I write this:

[math]\int_{0}^{c}f(t,x)dt\int_{0}^{c}g(t,x)dt = \int_{0}^{c}h(t,x)dt[/math]

What can I say about h(t, x)? Can I define it in terms of f(t,x) and g(t,x)? Thanks :)
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

z4lis

Re: Strange Calculus Question

Postby z4lis » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:11 am UTC

Hm. Smells a bit like it could be homework, so I'll mention that under sufficient smoothness assumptions (what you have there should be good enough, but someone check my sloppy thinking :P ) on f and g, you could apply the fundamental theorem of calculus and get an expression for h valid almost everywhere. But that still leaves you with an expression containing the integrals that have no closed form.

Are you looking to define h with that property from f and g, or just say what you can about h, given that it satisfies that property?
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:40 am UTC

This is question I've been curious about for ages. If h can be defined in terms of f and g, sweet.

Nitrodon

Postby Nitrodon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:41 am UTC

The convolution of f and g will give a function on (-c,c) with the desired property. If you want h to be defined on (0,c), you can rescale it fairly easily.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:35 am UTC

If you differentiate both sides, you get
[math]g(c,x)\int_{0}^{c}f(t,x)dt + f(c,x)\int_{0}^{c}g(t,x)dt = h(c,x)[/math]
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Sagekilla

Postby Sagekilla » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Sizik wrote:If you differentiate both sides, you get
[math]g(c,x)\int_{0}^{c}f(t,x)dt + f(c,x)\int_{0}^{c}g(t,x)dt = h(c,x)[/math]

Which you can just as easily re-write as:

[math]h(t, x) = g(t, x)\int_{0}^{t}f(t',x)dt' + f(t, x)\int_{0}^{t}g(t', x)dt'[/math]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin#Sinking wrote:Researchers found a cheese sandwich which exhibited no visible signs of decomposition, and was in fact eaten.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Nitrodon wrote:The convolution of f and g will give a function on (-c,c) with the desired property. If you want h to be defined on (0,c), you can rescale it fairly easily.

Hm. So integration turns convolutions into products. That nugget will probably come in handy, one day.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Interesting, thanks for the responses. :D

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

z4lis wrote:
Nitrodon wrote:The convolution of f and g will give a function on (-c,c) with the desired property. If you want h to be defined on (0,c), you can rescale it fairly easily.

Hm. So integration turns convolutions into products. That nugget will probably come in handy, one day.

It's super-handy in signal processing.

Return to “Mathematics”