Evolution question - how does complexity arise?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Dinosaur!

Re: Evolution question - how does complexity arise?

Postby Dinosaur! » Fri May 09, 2014 7:44 am UTC

Agrajag619 wrote:Anyways, all of this is very much unrelated to the original thread topic, but again I just wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to reason with me last year in such a respectful and constructive way. I wish you all the best!

I dunno if you get this all the time, but you come off as really rad. It's a pretty ballsy move to jump into a place that is likely quite hostile and ask a question that is likely to result in a flame war. Last year, in the first page of this thread, you went out of your way to avoid the thread being derailed, and engaged in an honest conversation about a touchy subject. Of course, (welcome to the internet) the thread inevitably degenerated into a useless pile of fecal matter that went on for some 200 posts, but that only happened after your graceful exit. It must be apparent from my post count and join date that I usually lurk this forum, but having just read through most of this thread tonight, I kept thinking to myself something like, "now, why can't this one fellow just be like the OP?"

Looking at the title of the thread, and even the first sentence of the first post, "I currently consider myself a creationist...", my forum radar was all the way in the red zone, so to speak -- I figured it'd be just like a thread covering planes on conveyor belts, abortion, or 0.999... = 1. I was so very taken aback by the actual content of the first page of the thread, that I cannot help but give props to those involved, OP especially.

I'd like to highlight a post from the second page that may have been lost in the slurry of useless back-and-forth that ensued after the OP exited the thread, namely,

Spoiler:
dudiobugtron wrote:I'm interested in how your belief system works (I understand you won't respond, but I'd like to record my interest anyway!).

It seems like you originally thought that Evolution seemed to explain everything really well, except that it was impossible - and therefore that creation must be the correct theory. Then, you found out that actually evolution isn't impossible. And, if you are able to confirm this in your research, you will then decide that evolution is the correct theory, and therefore creation isn't.

Is that close to being a correct analysis?

Cheers.

Thirty-one

Re: Evolution question - how does complexity arise?

Postby Thirty-one » Fri May 09, 2014 7:57 am UTC

Dinosaur! wrote:I was so very taken aback by the actual content of the first page of the thread, that I cannot help but give props to those involved, OP especially.

Yeah, the OP and the thread is an internet unicorn. Well handled thread by the people responding, and kudos to the OP for having an open mind.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

Return to “Science”