Using inductive charging as an internet connection.

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Ciber

Using inductive charging as an internet connection.

Postby Ciber » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

I was thinking earlier today in a course I am taking that has every student using a laptop in the class room. Obviously internet speed is important, and since everyone in a class of like thirty people is connecting to the schools wifi at once we tend to get slowdowns, especially for assignments with youtube videos.

With wifi you have to worry about everyones signals interfering and degrading speed.

So what if embedded something similar to those cool inductive phone chargers into the desks? I figure the range is low enough that you get no interference and you could probably get speeds comparable to actually plugging things in. As a bonus, you could include normal inductive charging so that half the class who are too dumb to charge their stuff overnight do not have to bring bulky charging cords and sit in the back of class where the outlets are.

lgw

Re: Using inductive charging as an internet connection.

Postby lgw » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

Or the desk could have an actual Ethernet cable, if practicality trumped cool factor.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

Ciber

Postby Ciber » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:20 pm UTC

well yeah, but then you would have to plug things in, and that adds a moving part.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:10 am UTC

You'd have to plug the desks in. Or they'd in turn have to be wirelessly connected.

Sure you could in principle increase bandwith for many people in little space, by having a lot of local very short range connections, as you propose, but I don't see it being practical or cheap.

If you already need the wire mess to have the tables hooked up, and you only get internet when the laptop is actually standing on the table, then just make a docking station. It adds a "moving part" but so what? It is easier and cheaper.

Okay, for some reason I am beginning to change my mind. If the price could be brought low enough, I could actually see wireless docking stations, both charging and providing high speed connection as soon as the device is placed on the pad.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:13 am UTC

Docking stations are already wireless for all practical purposes. Sure I have to click my laptop into the docking station, instead of just placing it on top of one, but I don't need to carry any wires, I don't need to plug anything in, all the convenience is already there.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

You could put low-power wifi antennas in each desk.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:15 am UTC

As required by the Ethernet specification, almost every Ethernet device actually already incorporates a transformer, which galvanically isolates the differential ethernet signals, providing common-mode rejection to deal with the problem of different ground potentials on different ethernet devices on different sides of a building.

I wonder if you could make a "docking pad" which incorporates a transformer with similar behaviour to the normal Ethernet isolation transformer and just substitute it in place of that transformer?
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Return to “Science”