A solution to the black hole information paradox?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

sevenperforce

A solution to the black hole information paradox?

Postby sevenperforce » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:05 pm UTC

Just saw this fascinating article today:

Black holes don’t erase information, scientists say

I haven't read the original paper, but the solution seems pretty interesting. Hawking had originally believed that the photons emitted as Hawking radiation would not be able to convey any information about the black hole itself, but then changed his mind. Only, they didn't know how Hawking radiation could carry information away.

Now, they do -- information about the inside of the black hole can be encoded in the interactions between the Hawking photons. Goodbye, no-hairs theorem; hello, singularity.

Tchebu

Re: A solution to the black hole information paradox?

Postby Tchebu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:15 am UTC

If I'm reading the paper correctly, they're basically using a foliation of spacetime whose spatial slices are entirely outside the horizon and the mode decomposition is therefore also made up of modes that have support outside the horizon. This means that they never perform a trace over modes inside the horizon and their density matrix remains pure as a result. The standard picture has already been for a long time that the distant observer sees is a collapse of matter into a thin hawking-temperature shell just outside the horizon, which gradually radiates its content back in a unitary fashion. I suppose it's nice that someone sat down and did the calculation, but in some sense my reaction to the result is "well no shit... we knew this already". I'm somewhat surprised that this wasn't already done back in the 70's or so...
Our universe is most certainly unique... it's the only one that string theory doesn't describe.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Re: A solution to the black hole information paradox?

Postby doogly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:03 am UTC

Yeah, nothing to see here. Good post talking about it:

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... oblem.html
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Return to “Science”