Human Body Parts MTTF

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gloacai

Human Body Parts MTTF

Postby gloacai » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:53 am UTC

As an engineer I feel the scientific community has been letting us down on determining the Mean Time To Failure of most human body parts so we can adequately budget time and money for future replacements. While most artificial replacements have a MTTF listed, the original body parts are still lacking this information. Is this information actually compiled somewhere and I haven't found it?

f5r5e5d

Re: Human Body Parts MTTF

Postby f5r5e5d » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:27 am UTC

its not just the budgeting - some have moral issues with buying low mileage replacements off of disadvantaged youth - though at my age it seems like a better and better idea as long as you keep it regulated, don't go black market

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organlegging

of course that was in the context of a legal regime where too many traffic violations could get you broken up for parts for us old folk...

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:33 am UTC

Most organ systems gracefully degrade over time, any time to failure is going to be arbitrary based off your cuttoff for what counts as failure.

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:03 pm UTC

Also depends on where you draw the line between individual components, my heart for example, depends for its proper operation on various things like correct inputs from the brain and correct liquid chemistry in its surroundings. Cells are more self-contained in that they sit in a solution hopefully containing most of what they need and just get on with their function, but even they are dependant on the correct functioning of internal structures and mechanisms.

As a single unit, my body came with a MTTF of around 81.5 years, individual cells however, come with a MTTF of between a few days for certain cells lining my gut or on the order of a year or white blood cells and most (hopefuly) of my neurons should last until the body as a whole gives out.

Return to “Science”