Verizon Math (Help!)

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Which Price is Correct

0.0296 cents/kWh
10%
0.0296 dollars/kWh
80%
Ask Verizon
10%

Total votes: 10

FatherBob

Verizon Math (Help!)

Postby FatherBob » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:23 pm UTC

I looked into the Renewable Power Purchase Program from City of Longmont, Colorado. Is it possible they made a mistake in their price quotes?

Here is their website: http://www.longmontcolorado.gov/departm ... wind-power

“They have 100 kWh blocks of energy are available for an additional $2.96 per month”
And they also quote:
“For an extra cost of 0.0296 cents/kWh, you can source all of your electric usage from renewable energy.”

So, is it 0.0296 cents/kWh or should it be 0.0296 dollars/kWh?

Thank you so much for helping me understand!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Verizon Math (Help!)

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:35 pm UTC

They definitely meant 0.0296 dollars, but you could always try to take them to court when they inevitably disagree with you over your decision to pay them 1/100 of that.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:45 pm UTC

Looks like they've already corrected it to read "2.96 cents/kWh"

DrZiro

Postby DrZiro » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:01 pm UTC

Apparently the very same company has made that mistake before. I remember hearing some recording on Youtube or something years ago, where a guy calls Verizon to complain. He was told that his roaming charges were zero-point-something cents, but they charged him zero-point-something dollars instead. Funny thing was, the phone operators couldn't get it through their heads that they had made a mistake, that 1/100 of a dollar is not 0.01 cents.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:06 pm UTC

This thread is about an electric company, the title is a reference to the Verizon mistake you're referring to.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Science”