Bathing in Vinegar

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

Bathing in Vinegar

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

I was watching a commercial for a new high tech, super awesome shower head that will revolutionize how you wash yourself and a thought accorded to me; "What would happen if you bath regularly in undiluted vinegar?" I am a strange person.

p1t1o

Re: Bathing in Vinegar

Postby p1t1o » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm UTC

You have to define it better, "vinegar" is a dilute solution already, of acetic acid. Neat acetic acid will cause burns and probably destroy your eyes. Even the vapours can cause eye burns. Its also quite flammable. Various dilutions of it will cause less severe burns down to skin irritation. I cant think of any benefit of using any dilution really, other than as a disinfectant, and there are better ways to do that.

As I work in chemical safety, I take some measure of satisfaction from formally advising you NOT to bathe in acid :D

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:I was watching a commercial for a new high tech, super awesome shower head that will revolutionize how you wash yourself and a thought accorded to me; "What would happen if you bath regularly in undiluted vinegar?" I am a strange person.

People might start looking at you funny. You know, because vinegar smells.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:07 am UTC

p1t1o wrote:You have to define it better, "vinegar" is a dilute solution already, of acetic acid.

Not more diluted than purchased from the store. When I looked into this, the result tended to be about adding a little vinegar to a water bath for some health benefits, but that is not what I was interested in. Lets say that you bought a bunch of bottles from the grocery story and poor them straight into the tub.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:09 am UTC

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am UTC

Honestly, in my professional opinion, I think the first thing you will notice is the smell, followed by the vapour stinging your eyes, followed by precise knowledge of the position of any tiny break in your skin, followed by your butthole itching really badly.

Vinegar wont do much to unbroken skin, but it is acid and if it hot thats worse, and the longer you're in there the worse as well. Expect some redness/irritation and some dryness/peeling afterwards. If you sit in it for long enough it might progress to mild burns.

Effects on the mucosa (mouth, eyes, anus etc) are more acute, I wouldnt recommend exposing these places to hot or cold vinegar for very long, they'll burn much faster.

Try swilling some vinegar round your mouth, see what thats like :)

NB: my baths are quite long, like a half hour is considered "quick" for me, thats what Im basing the above on. Obviously vinegar is not corrosive enough to cause immediate effects on undamaged skin.

screen317

Postby screen317 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

The "health benefits" are all old wives tales that are not supported by rigorous study.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am UTC

Tinea pedis doesn't like to be below pH 4, from memory, so "ordinary chip-shop malt vinegar" or Coca cola ought to be bad for it.

This has been considered

Objectives: To investigate the effect of different pH on the in vitro growth of Trichophyton rubrum (T. rubrum) and to study the pH achievable by a test product at various depths in a porcine nail model. Methods: T. rubrum was grown in Sabouraud dextrose broth of various acidic pH to determine the fungicidal level. A test product with active ingredient of acetic acid was applied to the porcine nails for 60 and 120 times and the pH at various depths of penetration was measured by pH metre. Results: A pH of 3.0 or below is fungicidal to T. rubrum and the minimal pH achievable by 60 and 120 applications of the test product were 4.09 and 3.37 respectively. Conclusions: Use of vinegar (5% acetic acid) to treat tinea pedis is theoretically efficacious but it is difficult to achieve a fungicidal pH of 3.0 at the nail bed despite prolonged application.

You could use a vinegar foot-bath successfully, then.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 pm UTC

Not sure how the pH compares, but I once painted concentrated lime Kool-Aid on my armpits. It stung quite a bit. I can't imagine this vinegar bath of yours is going to be very pleasant.

But at least you'll be cleaner than if you just used water alone!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

jastim

Postby jastim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 am UTC

How about using apple cider vinegar to treat porblems like acene and eczema?

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 am UTC

jastim wrote:How about using apple cider vinegar to treat porblems like acene and eczema?

These are questions for your doctor or another qualified medical professional.

It doesnt take a genius to link acid with germ-killing, but treating medical conditions with food/foodstuffs, is generally ill-advised.

Its easy to say "bathing in vinegar will irritate/burn your skin" its a whole other kettle of fish trying to predict what effect it might have on compromised skin, especially when infection is a factor. We know that vinegar is a weak solution of acetic acid but it hard to say what else is in something that is made from plants, it is possible there may be compounds present that could cause an undesirable reaction with acne/eczema etc.

If a doctor says its ok, its probably ok, but I wouldnt make that recommendation myself.

As I said before, bathing in acid, not generally a great idea.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:32 pm UTC

But if its natural, it doesn't have chemicals in it, and you only get side-effects from chemicals, ergo it's safe!

(But it might not be very effective, so I'd suggest you first make it more powerful by diluting it a zillion times in shaken water, obviously…)

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:56 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:But if its natural, it doesn't have chemicals in it, and you only get side-effects from chemicals, ergo it's safe!

(But it might not be very effective, so I'd suggest you first make it more powerful by diluting it a zillion times in shaken water, obviously…)

Oh my heart....

For a second there I didnt twig that you weren't serious!

Nearly knocked my capslock key off...

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm UTC

According to homeopathy, homeopaths themselves should be most effective if they're so scarce that the odds are millions to one against there even being one anywhere in the country.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:03 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:According to homeopathy, homeopaths themselves should be most effective if they're so scarce that the odds are millions to one against there even being one anywhere in the country.

Well when you put it that way...I dont think Ive ever met one but you hear about them all the time.

So, hypothesis proved.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:But if its natural, it doesn't have chemicals in it, and you only get side-effects from chemicals, ergo it's safe!

That's why I only use chemical-free chemistry sets.[1]

[1 ] Goldberg and Chemjobber. A comprehensive overview of chemical-free consumer products.

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:

That's why I only use chemical-free chemistry sets.[1]

[1 ] Goldberg and Chemjobber. A comprehensive overview of chemical-free consumer products.

Maybe instead of taking out the "chemicals" they should have taken out the cup and straw instead.

Return to “Science”