Biology: Wolves vs. Humans

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

Re: Biology: Wolves vs. Humans

Postby jewish_scientist » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

I am going to change sides on this one and say that the wolves would beat the humans. Oliver Starr (the person cited above as 'This dude who was attacked by a wolf') works with wolves professionally and is considered enough of an expert that Business Insider used him as their only source on an article about surviving a wolf attack. When you read the full story you really get a sense of just how disproportionate the strength of a wolf is to a human's. One other thing that I realized, which makes a whole world of difference, is that the average wolf has experience fighting while a human does not.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:32 pm UTC

The difference is that the man did not fight the wolf, in the sense that he did not fight at all. He simply tried to save his arm. There is a difference between someone trying to save themself while fending off a wolf and someone trying to kill a wolf. Citing that attack is like citing a massacre to "prove" that a room full of unarmed people cannot beat a single shooter in a fight.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:04 pm UTC

Meanwhile you've yet to cite a single thing whatsoever.

That guy's experience is the closest thing any of us has found to relevant, and his additional knowledge is even more so. If you've got something better that isn't pure speculation on your part, feel free to share it with the rest of us.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm UTC

A room full of unarmed people can beat a lone shooter, but they in fact often don't. A fight is (basically by definition) non-consensual and the fact that one party is not trying to fight or attack doesn't change the fact that a fight is occurring.

One of the wolves biggest advantages is how little prep they need. Although I would suspect that given the bizarre-ness of the scenario, the wolves may be trying to avoid a fight at first. (I'm kind of picturing a star trek demi-god ordering both teams to fight).
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:That said, there are cases of man-eating wolves repeatedly killing humans.

Man, killing someone is bad enough, but repeatedly killing them...!

Also known as spawncamping. A ban-worthy offense on many servers.

I think it might help to think of the people in the original scenario like zombies with intelligence. As in they don't care too much about their wellbeing.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:34 pm UTC

The outer edges of the town naturally spawn young, incompetent goat-herders. So why did it take so long for the AI to learn to camp the ones near wolf spawns?

Return to “Science”