Nitrogen to oxygen

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Hattifnatt

Nitrogen to oxygen

Postby Hattifnatt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:11 am UTC

Does this meme make any sense?

By the number of electrons, this is a nitrogen atom so adding a proton will just make it oxygen, there wouldn't be any blast, right?

Can somebody offer details?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Nitrogen to oxygen

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:38 am UTC

I doubt that number is meant to be taken literally, but nitrogen to oxygen is part of the CNO cycle in stellar fusion.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

solune

Postby solune » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:22 pm UTC

A typical nitrogen has an atomic mass of 14. So if you add a proton you get 15O, which is unstable, with a half-life of 122.24 seconds, and a disintegrating energy of 511 keV per atom. (The normal oxygen is 16O)
Of course, a single atom disintegrating wouldn't make much of an explosion, so we have to assume that Mushroom is doing that to a lot of atoms at once

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:34 pm UTC

I wouldn't dismiss the idea that there are other electron orbits and electrons exactly behind the ones shown.

There seem not enough protonic plums in the nucleic plum pudding, otherwise, even assuming they currently match the electrons.

(Also, the mushroom, who thinks there's mushroom for positivity, may be saying to be more positive, on an already pluripositive ion. They may have stripped it of some orbiting negativity beforehand, and/or been force-feeding it protons like a foie gras goose!)

Well, why not? ;)

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:53 pm UTC

I did notice that when Mushroom held the proton out to the atom, more of the electrons moved to that side. Or I guess you could say "are spending more time on that side". Either way, that part of the meme seems valid.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:16 pm UTC

I assume the "six visible protons, seven visible electrons" is purposeful, insofar as the "be more positive joke" wants the atom to be negatively-charged to start with. This means it's actually a Carbon being turned into a Nitrogen.

But yeah, the explosion is just silly. That atom in particular is stuffed to the gills with excess neutrons, but there's no reason to assume there's a lot of surrounding atoms in a similarly unstable state. The one atom will just quickly decay, and that's that. Likely the decay will be a beta decay, converting the excess neutrons into protons, and producing some antineutrinos and electrons as a side-effect. It'll become a higher atom, but nothing explosive. Or maybe it'll be a fission and you'll just get some lithium and helium or something. Either way, nothing of note will occur.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:24 pm UTC

I second that it's probably C- transmuting to N, but I disagree that it's stuffed full of neutrons. Neutrons are not distinguished in the cartoon to such an extent as to be countable at all, and the "body" of the atoms needn't consist solely of nucleons any more than its eyes or mouth do, or the mushroom's arms and legs need to be actual fungal "organs." This is supported by the fact that such a high N nuclide would almost certainly decay almost instantly by neutron emission.

Unfortunately, there are no nitrogen isotopes that decay primarily by neutron emission or spontaneous fission, so I can't imagine how you could set up a chain reaction. Maybe it's the other way around, and the resulting nitrogen is too proton rich (fits the comic's setup better), but I'm fairly sure proton emission can't trigger a chain reaction, since protons are positively charged.

So after careful consideration, I think the comic with a mushroom handing an atom a proton is unrealistic.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:28 am UTC

You don't need a chain reaction when lots of mushrooms are shoving protons into nitrogen and carbon nuclei.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:33 am UTC

What's the Schwarzschild radius of a mushroom? You are obviously missing the smaller picture.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:18 am UTC

Thesh wrote:What's the Schwarzschild radius of a mushroom? You are obviously missing the smaller picture.

I think 20 g is a reasonable guess for a mushroom, which gives a Schwarzschild radius of 3 × 10-29 m, compared to carbon's covalent radius of 8 × 10-11 m.

But if as per gmal you have lots of mushrooms handing out protons, we could be in trouble.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:53 pm UTC

I wonder what kind of surface the mushroom guy is standing on. There must be quite some surface friction at the sole of that foot.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:05 pm UTC

Could there be some gluon there?

Return to “Science”