Life in one dimension

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

lllllllllwith10ls

Life in one dimension

Postby lllllllllwith10ls » Sun May 12, 2019 4:35 pm UTC

Would life in one dimension be possible? If you had particles that could pass through each other, would it make it more likely?
mom fapathi

Eebster the Great

Re: Life in one dimension

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun May 12, 2019 5:24 pm UTC

It's not logically impossible, but it's pretty hard to imagine how it could develop naturally. The laws of physics would also have to be so different from ours as to be basically unrecognizable.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun May 12, 2019 5:43 pm UTC

You might be interested in reading Flatland and Flatterland? I've only read Flatterland myself, but Flatland is on my list for one day.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 pm UTC

I've never heard of Flatterland, but in the book Flatland, there are worlds of 0, 1, 2, and 3 dimensions inhabited by living beings. However, there is a minimum of thought put in to how Pointland and Lineland would operate. Flatland itself is obviously fleshed out much more. But the idea was never really science fiction but political satire and demonstrating the myopia of the ruling class and inequality in contemporary society.

I think Flatterland looks like it gets more into the science and math and less into the struggles of late 19th century England projected onto a plane.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon May 13, 2019 5:41 am UTC

Let's analyze this for a moment. First of all, since forcefields would not spread out with distance, then there would be no decrease of attraction/repulsion of electromagnetism and gravity with increasing distance. This would mean that there would be no such thing as escape velocity--no finite amount of kinetic energy would allow two particles to separate to an arbitrarily great distance. It may be possible that electromagnetism and gravity would experience "containment" similar to the Strong nuclear interaction (i.e. once you pull hard enough on the particles, the energy put into stretching the bond becomes enough that it pulls new particles out of the vacuum). We could avert this if the fundamental forces are allowed to spread their fields into higher-dimensional space rather than being confined to the one-dimensional space.

Even without containment, since there is no such thing as lateral motion, there can be no stable orbits, which means that interacting sets of particles will oscillate back and forth constantly, never able to maintain a stable distance, and thus unable to maintain a stable level of potential and kinetic energy. This constant oscillation of kinetic energy should result in a constant chaotic shuffling of bonds if there are a large number of particles grouped together.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri May 17, 2019 10:05 pm UTC

Note that "no such thing as escape velocity" happens in *2D* as well, even tho forcefields still spread out. They just don't spread out "thinly enough", so at infinite distance they produce an infinite delta v.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Return to “Science”