Favorite Scientist?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Who is your favorite scientist?

Einstein
8%
Newton
6%
Galileo
2%
Fermi
1%
Feynman
27%
Maxwell
3%
Tesla
22%
Bohr
2%
Euler
3%
Darwin
5%
Descartes
2%
Leibniz
2%
Ancient (Archimedes, etc.)
5%
Other
12%

Total votes: 146

The Ethos

Re: Favorite Scientist?

Postby The Ethos » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:
The Ethos wrote:No Linus Pauling? For shame.

/Yet another dual Nobel holder

Pauling's admirable peace and disarmament campaigning can easily be matched by the likes of Hans Bethe and Carl Sagan - though he did a whole lot of really cool quantum chemistry stuff too, apparently.

His fringe science beliefs regarding medicine didn't really help his chances, either.

Wait, what are you talking about? Pauling should be up there for 1st, his contributions to orgo/pchem with the ideas of hybridization, resonance, etc etc etc.

His peace things are nobel *sic*. But what do you mean his fringe science beliefs? He advocated vitamin C therapy, but turns out, that there may be some validity to the treatment/selective toxicity to cancer cells/etc. We're in phase I trials because there may actually be something here.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

The_Truth
Location: At your local Panera's eating a bacon turkey bravo.

Postby The_Truth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:27 am UTC

alexgmcm wrote:That link was rather amusing.

Back on topic, how can I be the ONLY person to choose Maxwell.. that guy contributed massively to science. Although I guess one should expect the popularizers of science to win the popularity contest.

Don't worry, I picked maxwell also. His equations made everything just that much simpler, and for that, he's my favorite (of what's up there anyway.)
I can has a cookie?

Thisisnotausername

Postby Thisisnotausername » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I put both cream and lemon in my tea.
Random832 wrote:Superman in particular probably had a chance to try those skills on farm animals first....

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:25 am UTC

Thisisnotausername wrote:I put both cream and lemon in my tea.

Surely you're joking? I wonder what it tastes like?
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Between the tannins and cream and acid? Curds.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:17 am UTC

fenrir_darkwolf wrote:Read my sig and try to wager a guess. :)
Also, why isn't Dirac on the list? He was perhaps the brightest mind of the 20th century, if not all time, he should at least get a mention...

Huh... after thinking about it... can I change my answer to Dr. Strangelove, that guy was awesome :D.
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

ArmonSore

Postby ArmonSore » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

I went with Archimedes. He figured out many results from calculus, discovered his principle in hydrostatics, and the laws of pulleys and levers without any of the advantages that Newton had.

Also: Ack! The avatar I've been using has been bamboozled!
I was useful Yesterday.
-Paul McCartney.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Even though he spent most of his time on alchemy, I'm going with Newton.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Even though he spent most of his time on alchemy, I'm going with Newton.

I see your Newton and I'll raise you a Leibniz! He may have gotten the idea for the calculus from Sir Isaac, but his notation carries the day. All his other contributions to science help too, of course.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

McCaber wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Even though he spent most of his time on alchemy, I'm going with Newton.

I see your Newton and I'll raise you a Leibniz! He may have gotten the idea for the calculus from Sir Isaac, but his notation carries the day. All his other contributions to science help too, of course.

I could have sworn that the discoveries were completly indepedant.
ave matthew, je m'appelle matthew, mi nomas matthew, me llamo matthew, I'm matthew.

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Archimedes of Syracuse, unbelievably ahead of his time. GFG wars.

Very heartily seconded. That guy was amazing.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

I would have to say Bill Nye (Science guy). Not necessarily for his publishings, but for how he presented known discoveries through such a medium that encouraged many people to consider Science as a career. He's my favorite because of this.

RAPTORATTACK!!!

Postby RAPTORATTACK!!! » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Whats wrong with Al? I though he'd do a lot better...

Feynman is kind of unstoppable though. That man was a beast.
Team 246 OVERCLOCKED!

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:47 am UTC

I'd guess that the kind of people who'd normally vote for Al, are the ones that instead would vote for Feynman (or Tesla). Feynman's probably going to be a pretty big hero for any westerner interested in or studying in physics (and posting on a rather geeky message board)

INFOHAZARD

Postby INFOHAZARD » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:42 am UTC

I've said hello to Dr's Dirac and Gell-Mann. But I want to a party at Dr Alexander Shulgin's house. Now He's a cool scientist.
Advice not good after curfew in Sectors 'R' or 'M'.

v299792458

Postby v299792458 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:56 am UTC

I had to go with Maxwell. He unified e&m and lets face it, electronics are cool.

Haploanddogs

Postby Haploanddogs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

No Love for newton? The man contributed the foundations to more science disciplines then anyone else in history. He still defines dynamics, orbital mechanics, zero-finding Mathematics, just to name a few. Not only that science was what the man did when we wasn't being held back by the massive amount of weird shit he did in the rest of his time. He also ran the mint, ordered executions, and invented coin ridges.
He was the smartest person ever to have lived, according to me at least.

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

Haploanddogs wrote:No Love for newton?

I think if you look at a biography of him regarding his personality you will find why not many people voted for him.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

rho

Postby rho » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Okay, I'm going with Einstein over Feynman (JUST).

My reasoning is that Einstein always had a bit of an anti-establishment thread to him. He spent his last years attempting to create a 'theory of everything' - fruitlessly - but you have to admire the ambition. I think that an active resistance to being swept along with the crowd is healthy in any scientist worth their NaCl.

(Feynman is so fucking awesome though...)
Less Than Three.

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

I do not like feynman. and I voted for newton not because of his achievments in science, but for his biography.
explanation: I find that a sociopath who didn't get along with people and did science dispite them is much more awesome then a socially adept, cool and confident guy. newton is someone I can identify with. feynman is one of those cockey little assholes who people like because of their social aptitude. (ok, I hate von neumann even more then feynman). tesla is also awesome, for the same reson. also gauss and euler, but that's because they did math.
It rains on the enemy too!

hitokiriilh

Postby hitokiriilh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Einstein. I think his insights were outstanding. General relativity is the most beautiful physical theory I've ever seen and I share similar sentiments with Einstein as far as regarding the Copenhagen interpretation as dubious and phenomenologically ridiculous. Dirac is probably my runner up because he was simply beyond brilliant (Have you ever seen the clever tricks he used to remove the square root from the relativistic energy operator and obtain the Dirac equation? How about his realization that the negative energy solutions to his equation correspond to particles propagating backwards in time and that first excited states correspond to antimatter? Nothing short of epic. ^_^). Then comes Feynman because he was both brilliant and social. He didn't have the impact in the scientific culture that Einstein or Dirac did (yes, yes, Feynman diagrams are everywhere, but there were other methods to calculate scattering amplitudes), but his contributions were still monumental and his ability to make physics accessible to anyone was simply amazing.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

As a physicist, Feynman was great. As a person, I really dislike him... Reading his book "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" I was oddly left with the impression that he actually cares a great deal! I find his character is certainly 'curious' though probably not in the way he meant it. As for his 'adventures', they are pretty commonplace.

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I picked maxwell for his contributions to science, rather than base it on personality. Not that the others didn't contribute, but after studying e&m for a full year at the 400 level, I have grown to greatly appreciate maxwell's equations and realise how beautiful they are. Not to mention they are lorentz invariant which is even more cool. The guy figured out the solution to every e&m problem by coming up with 4, count them 4!, equations. Not only that, they are easy to solve. Imagine that...
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

Vortex

Postby Vortex » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

santiago ramon y cajal

for his passion.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:33 am UTC

This is a loaded poll, as I'm pretty sure most of the people on that list are the same person.

That said, I went for the Tesla incarnation, for embodying the "Mad Scientist" trope, Feynman ties though, but I only have one vote. Then Einstein for obvious reasons, then Archimedes and Euler, and the rest of them fit in there somehow as well.

We really need to come up with a name for the Time Lord that has contributed so much to our scientific progress, from Archimedes to Euler to Tesla to Feynman and beyond, we owe so much to him.

Yggdrasil

Postby Yggdrasil » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Although I'd have to put down Pauling as my favorite scientist (I'm a biochemist), Boltzmann probably comes in a close second and I'm surprised no one has mentioned him yet. After all, he came up with statistical mechanics even before we knew about atoms, molecules, or quantum.

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:42 am UTC

yea but at least everyone I know who has done statistical mechanics hates it with fiery passion, and they hate it all the more because it's so damn useful :P

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Too many. I can just barely manage if I list them by fields.

Physics: Richard Feynman.
Mathematics: Leonhard Euler.
Computer science: Charles Babbage (in no small part for being delightfully eccentric).
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

ducksan

Postby ducksan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:03 am UTC

It's been mentioned before, and I'll mention again that there aren't enough chemists on that list. I don't really have a favorite in any discipline, but Lavoisier, Dalton, and many other founding fathers of chemistry all deserve at least a quick thought.
Maybe chemistry is applied physics, but it's really goddamned useful applied physics. :wink:
The science flew off Gordon Freeman's face and landed and blowed up in a BOOM!

Strange Quark

Postby Strange Quark » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Einstein. In the way he wielded the hammer of cunning-sideways-thinking and the sword of cutting-though-the-mess-that-maths-tends-to-create-to-see-the-physics.

Oh, and lets not forget, being happy to admit to being wrong.
I henceforth declare that I will not defend linux on this forum anymore, as life is too short and the subject is too tempting.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

I personally said other, because even though I couldn't decide between Alan Turing and John von Neumann, neither was on the list, so I didn't have to choose. Computers have been such an incredible enabler for everything else.

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

I would vote for a fictional scientist (well, statistician), Hari Seldon, but that seems quite outside the scope of the vote.

My serious vote would be Alan Turing.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Divinator

Postby Divinator » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Tesla, but he was more of an visionaire than a scientist.

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Well, I would have said Riemann, should this have been in the math forum. But it didn't, so I went with Tesla. It's really a tie for me between Tesla, Euler, Descartes, Gauss, and Tycho Brahe. I've got nothing against the others. I'm just sick of the scientists who get all the publicity: Galileo, Newton, Einstein, Darwin, and friends. I'd rather have a small sect of people recognize my work than have it be known the world over and misquoted, misused, and misunderstood.

The cheese.

Postby The cheese. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

I voted for 'ancient scientists' because I find it amazing how little they had to work with, yet they could still work out things like the relative distances of the Moon and the Sun.

And Newton is really the God of science...too bad he was a bit of a dick.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

other: Werner Forssmann
He was the first person to catheterise a living heart. His own heart. Then he walked to the x-ray dept and went "hey guys, look what I did!" *. That is so bad ass.

Drs. Warren and Marshall were a close second, drinking bacteria to prove that they give you stomach ulcers. A-mazing. 8)

*paraphrasing.

Not that the others werent all cool too, but there's something brilliant about the blatant disregard for their own safety just for the sake of curiosity :lol:

The cheese.

Postby The cheese. » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:44 am UTC

Newton stuck a needle in his own eye, you know. (It got infected.)

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:50 am UTC

not his heart though innit?

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:08 am UTC

fenrir_darkwolf wrote:
pushpork wrote:
This seems kind of biased toward physics

as Feynman would have pointed out in 'six easy pieces', and which I am inclined to agree with, All sciences can be described through physics.
And Feynman worked on not only furthering the intellectuals understanding, but tried to simplify science for the moronic masses, like me :D.

One of my favourite Feynman quotes has to be on this topic: "All theoretical chemists are physicists, all theoretical chemists know it."

So your favourite quote is my signature? It's mine too! And isn't all science in a way, physics? :wink:
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

The cheese. wrote:Newton stuck a needle in his own eye, you know. (It got infected.)

And once stared at the sun for like twenty minutes to see what would happen. (He had to spend three days in a dark basement afterwards.) For Science!
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Return to “Science”