Balancing a Bicycle

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

dic_penderyn

Re: Balancing a Bicycle

Postby dic_penderyn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

Goemon wrote:
dic_penderyn wrote:If I sit on a moving bike and I start to overbalance to the right, I can steer right and the bike will move to the right. The bike is now underneath me again and I am balanced. It's the same if you are balancing a broom upside down on your finger. When the top of the broom moves in a direction and starts to topple, you move your finger in the same direction underneath it. That way your finger (the bike) stays underneath the center of gravity.

I like this explanation. If you're moving forward very slowly, the correction you get from turning the wheel acts slowly too - it takes much longer for the bike to move back under the CG.

Which <sigh> means you shouldn't have any trouble riding on a treadmill :)

That's correct. :wink:

What is it about treadmills and this place? :lol:

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:23 am UTC

dic_penderyn wrote:What is it about treadmills and this place? :lol:

This thread got somewhat hijacked into a discussion on airplanes. How could you *not* expect treadmills to show up?

Oh, and for the love of god don't start it...
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:38 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
dic_penderyn wrote:What is it about treadmills and this place? :lol:

This thread got somewhat hijacked into a discussion on airplanes. How could you *not* expect treadmills to show up?

Oh, and for the love of god don't start it...

It's too open to interpretation to be put to rest :x

eck wrote:Can you turn(or even ride at all) a bike that has locked front fork without lifting the front wheel?

My intuition says yes, seeing as that's basically how skis and skates turn. :mrgreen: I could be completely off though.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Return to “Science”