Measuring Released Energy

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

omnizero

Measuring Released Energy

Postby omnizero » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

I'm working on a chemistry project where I'll be oxidizing sugar with potassium chlorate and I need to be able to experimentally measure the energy released. Unfortunately, my school's bomb calorimeter is broken and a coffee cup calorimeter would be destroyed in the reaction. Those two methods were the only two I ever learned in AP Chemistry (that I remember anyway). What other methods of measuring the released energy are there?

danpilon54

Re: Measuring Released Energy

Postby danpilon54 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

I am not a chemist but maybe do it in an insulated enclosure and measure the temperature? You'd have to know the specific heat of the mixture, which would probably change as the reaction happens, so maybe not the best method.

edit: never mind, the reaction sounds explosive and the energy would not likely all be converted to heat.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

Tass

Re: Measuring Released Energy

Postby Tass » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Build a better calorimeter yourself.

A thin steel container that can survive the reaction. Water around it. A lot of styrofoam around that. A good thermometer.

Not so hard.

Return to “Science”