Dark matter and energy

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Cylrin

Dark matter and energy

Postby Cylrin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

I feel that dark matter and energy is a bleed over from another multi-verse using the concepts of pure math that supports M theory that merges string theory and singularity

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Dark matter and energy

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

I can't tell, is this a troll?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

seladore

Postby seladore » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

Yep.

Their other post:
I feel time is a by-product of motion...this would follow with time changes due to dif effects such as gravity and speed.

I do not feel time has its own dimension per say...this would also support the space-time view that Einstein put forth in my view

Trolly trolly troll troll.

Cylrin

Postby Cylrin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Troll? my term for this would be someone trying to cause trouble or mislead people in a forum....I am not doing either just a simple thought and wanted feed back

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

I'd be more terrified if it wasn't a troll.

Edit: Oh... wow.

Yeah, generally (absolutely) speaking, you don't start a physics discussion with the words 'I feel'.

Cylrin

Postby Cylrin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Space moves faster than time....hmmm one could be an effect of the other

Space has a constant push/pull on matter I buy that

Cylrin

Postby Cylrin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

I am sorry for my structure ....I have no background in the field I just wanted some feed back about the topic at hand

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

nobody really knows so you can speculate all you want. Physics isn't done by saying I feel like x is true. For this reason I am NOT a proponent of the multiverse theory because there is no evidence for it and it is more of a what-if-this-were-true type thing.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

Cylrin

Postby Cylrin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Ok but in most leaps in fields you first have to look for something before you can find it....like showing black holes existed with pure math before there was evidence

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

That's not actually true. In many fields, progress occurs when experiments yield results, and the results are interpreted. Can you maybe pose your feelings in the form of a question, or maybe read some of the myriad physics conversations that have already occurred?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Dark matter and dark energy are completely different things. You shouldn't assume they're both just from the same source.

Dark energy is usually considered to be due to the cosmological constant. It's something that comes out from general relativity and affects the expansion of the universe. What this constant actually means is subject to debate. Some groups are researching alternative theories - they modify general relativity instead of just using the cosmological constant to get a similar result.

Dark matter is generally conceived of as a kinda of fluid that doesn't interact very strongly with most matter, except through gravity. It collapses into clumps where galaxies tend to form. If dark matter is actually due to something else - say, a modified theory of gravity - it would have to be something that acts very similarly to a collisionless fluid.

I would recommend continuing to read up on the current research before proposing your own theories, otherwise people won't take you seriously and will think you're a troll.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:I would recommend continuing to read up on the current research before proposing your own theories, otherwise people won't take you seriously and will think you're a troll.

And with that nice summary of the current state of research, and until the OP does read up and propose a theory consistent with what we already know, locked.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Science”