Last Night's Heroes

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

quintopia

Last Night's Heroes

Postby quintopia » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:12 am UTC

There was solar eclipse that total in Lawrence, KS and very close to total in Haiti. Laughable.

Question: What's the smallest a body that passes between us and the sun could be in order for this to be possible (assuming it is far enough away that we don't immediately collide with it)? And assuming Earth was a satellite of such a body, how would things on Earth be different (in terms of day length, tides, growing seasons and whatnot)?

Seraph

Re: Last Night's Heroes

Postby Seraph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:49 am UTC

quintopia wrote:There was solar eclipse that total in Lawrence, KS and very close to total in Haiti. Laughable.

Question: What's the smallest a body that passes between us and the sun could be in order for this to be possible (assuming it is far enough away that we don't immediately collide with it)? And assuming Earth was a satellite of such a body, how would things on Earth be different (in terms of day length, tides, growing seasons and whatnot)?

Why is this Laughable?
The eclipse that is going to happen in August of 2045, and the one that happened in July of 1878 were both pretty close to what you're describing.
Solar eclipses trace out very but narrow regions where they are total, I don't know of any reason why one couldn't follow a path like you describe.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Perhaps he means "at the same time".
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Haiti and Kansas are so close longitudinally that the moon would have to be in a polar orbit to cause an eclipse to both in one day.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:13 am UTC

I was more off put by how long that solar eclipse seemed to be.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Incidentally, this is a show where humans can fly.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Incidentally, this is a show where humans can fly.

It is never implied that the moon can fly, though, and so it should follow standard orbital mechanics similar to the real world.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

I'm surprised you didn't mention the one when the show started that was in at least Japan and New York (and I think the last one happened in New York again as you see Angela looking at the moon going near the sun before the eclipse starts). So, that's what, 2 years between total solar eclipses? Instead of 370 years?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I'm surprised you didn't mention the one when the show started that was in at least Japan and New York (and I think the last one happened in New York again as you see Angela looking at the moon going near the sun before the eclipse starts). So, that's what, 2 years between total solar eclipses? Instead of 370 years?

Actually there's two solar eclipses a year, ~6 months apart. Interestingly enough, it happens about the same time as each lunar eclipse. The difference in perception between solar and lunar eclipses are because lunar eclipses are visible over the entire hemisphere where it occurs at night, whereas a solar eclipse is visible only over an extremely tiny fraction of the earth, usually in a remote location or over water.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Japan and New York are far enough apart longitudinally and close enough laterally that it's possible (though I doubt it would be total at both) and since the second eclipse wasn't total in New York, it doesn't break the '370 year' rule.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Monty40xi

Postby Monty40xi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Incidentally, this is a show where humans can fly.
A good sci-fi show should have a short list of how it deviates from reality, preferably with all those things being closely related to each other. There's no real connection between "people can fly or read minds thanks to their DNA" and "the moon causes a global total eclipse every couple of years."
Occam's Quandary: any idea can be made to sound like the simpler one.

Matsi

Postby Matsi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:45 am UTC

If you have followed Heroes, you would know that it is not a scifi show but just drama. The pretentious pseudo-scientific and overly religious voice-overs at the start and end of every show are a major clue to that.

I still watch it every week though. Please help me...

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

I liked it in season one a lot, but lost interest during Season 2 when it seemed like too many characters with too many different abilities were brought in. At first it walked the line of being almost believable (as most good shows are), but then it just dipped into crazyness, I thought. Made me sad.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Return to “Science”