Favourite popular science magazine?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

svans

Favourite popular science magazine?

Postby svans » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 am UTC

Hi.

I was thinking about getting a subscription for a science magazine. The ones we get in Sweden are a bit to "popular". So something a bit more specific. Science and Nature are good, but not always that fun to read.
Was thinking about Scientific American. Any other suggestions? Monthly is probably a bit cheaper to import to Sweden then a weekly. Also my main subject is biology, but science in general is what I'm looking for.

Cheers

Sharlos

Re: Favourite popular science magazine?

Postby Sharlos » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:09 am UTC

I like reading New Scientist because it isn't so American-centrist but that's a weekly magazine.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:43 am UTC

Aside from being a weekly, I think New Scientist would probably count as too 'popular' as well, although I haven't read any Swedish ones to compare.

An alternative to a subscription might be to find a website with articles that match your interests and the technical level you want. There are enough that I've seen around that it's quite likely you'll find something.
I don't have any examples though, sorry.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

ian

Postby ian » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Yeah, I'm thinking of ending my NS subscription, and maybe getting an SA one. Scientific American certainly goes into more detail. Ideally I'd look for a physics only one, but I'm not sure there is one.

edited for me being retarded
Last edited by ian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

tbh, I prefer websites, they update more often and then you can more easily find related articles about whatever subject your reading about.

Poobar

Postby Poobar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 am UTC

Physics World- you've got to be a member of the institute of physics to get it, but there's some articles available online for free. Interesting, goes into detail, and they've just published one of my letters so I'm happy to plug them a bit :)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

I get both Discover & Scientific American, I also get Smithsonian — although that also covers a lot of other topics.
Both Discover & SciAm are my light, fluffy science reading, I do plenty of reading from Nature, Blood, Microcirculation, Exp. Hemaetology, etc that I want my magazines to be easily digestible. And about things other than the vasculature.

justaman

Postby justaman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

Imo, Scientific American is too political (i.e. lots of exposition on science policy in the US), whereas New Scientist is much more balanced. Both are moderately light on the actual science, but have good general articles and lots of interesting stuff. Compared to something like Time or National Geographic, both are quite good for general science reading. Nature is good, especially the summaries and editorials, but the actual scientific articles are pretty hard going from having to condense their work into the word limit, and you will be paying for the privilege of reading those articles.

Personally I would probably get two or three basic, but more specific magazines tailored more to my interests.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

scienceandreason

Postby scienceandreason » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

I am a big fan of Seed magazine but sometimes it's hard to find on the news stands.

Mr Jack

Postby Mr Jack » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:18 am UTC

I'm a fan of New Scientist, probably because (a) it's sort of exciting, and (b) the editorials seem good. Oh, and (c), Feedback rocks.

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

It's true. Feedback does, in fact, rock.
"Woof!", explained the dog

Mr Jack

Postby Mr Jack » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Especially Nominative Determinism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_Determinism

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 am UTC

I hate to sound stupid, but what about Popular Science?
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

DysfunctionalGroup

Postby DysfunctionalGroup » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:17 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
scienceandreason wrote:I am a big fan of Seed magazine but sometimes it's hard to find on the news stands.

I don't really like seed, even though I can get it for free. It just doesn't have enough depth in its articles.

to be fair, i really don't think any "consumer" science mags are in depth enough. but... thats the tradeoff for readability/breadth of topics.

Personally, I love Seed, particularly the style of many of their articles - really cool science, but less of a "dry" writing style. It is hard to find at times, but if you can find a hard copy, check it out. I would say check out their website, but they've switched around their site's design, and im not the biggest fan.

actually... check out the website anyway, but if you don't like it, i told you so.. and don't discredit them until you see a hardcopy.

otherwise, i prefer to rotate/diversify science mag selection. Seed, Discover, and SciAm are all pretty good, and even sometimes Wired has some decently cool science content.

and popular science, despite its name, just doesn't seem sciency enough for me... i'd rank it with wired, rather than sciam or discover.
"In other studies, you go as far as others have gone before you, and there is nothing more to know; but in a scientific pursuit there is continual food for discovery and wonder." - Victor Frankenstein

Tass

Postby Tass » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:38 am UTC

My parrents get Illustreret Videnskab, I find that to popular too. Maybe I should talk them into getting New Scientist or something like that instead.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

It's a difficult choice. I much prefer the content and writing in sci American but I don't much care about US politics. I tend to buy whichever I feel like at the supermarket.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Fri May 01, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

I had a subscription to Scientific American when I was in high school and for some time after, but I started wishing I had something more in depth. I haven't bought a new subscription to anything, but I really like American Scientist; it's broad, in depth, but not too technical.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Sat May 02, 2009 6:22 am UTC

I have been subscribing to New Scientist and Scientific American for a number of years. IMHO, Scientific American is of a far higher quality and highly reccomend it for its variety and level of rigour (for a popular magazine). New Scientist tends towards the incredible, sometimes publishing the most ridiculous proposals or theories. Feedback, however is a big plus and they do have a number of quality articles, but as a weekly magazine I get the impression they often scrape the bottom of the barrel for articles.

Scientific American is also far more centered in its position on controversial issues; as a climate realist, I find New Scientist's persistent and unrelenting pro - Global Warming stance highly annoying...I swear, they never miss an opportunity to insert their opinion into an article no matter how tenuous the link.

svans

Postby svans » Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:It's a difficult choice. I much prefer the content and writing in sci American but I don't much care about US politics. I tend to buy whichever I feel like at the supermarket.

That's kind of the problem here. We don't really get that many choices at the supermarket. The few stores that do carry foreign science magazines have them pretty highly prized. The subscription to SciAm (which I have decided to get) were actually cheaper then a subscription to a swedish magazine, go figure.

I also noticed when I was at the supermarket the last time that of about 150 different magazines. 2 were about science. 4 were about hunting and about the same number were about poker (!).....

Tass

Postby Tass » Tue May 05, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

Duncan wrote:I swear, they never miss an opportunity to insert their opinion into an article no matter how tenuous the link.

Because if people dont soon stop denying that it is happening then we are all screewed...

SpazzyMcGee

Postby SpazzyMcGee » Wed May 06, 2009 7:40 am UTC

I spent years reading Popular Science when I was younger. I still have the subscription. However when I got to college and started learning science beyond the high school level Pop Sci just seemed to have a little to much Pop and not enough Sci. I bought different magazines hear or there. NewScientist was good, but it was still a little too popularized. I have also heard they from have one too many inaccuracies a little too often. Scientific American on the other hand, every issue has two articles that are each at least 7 pages long and go into great detail. It is the perfect general science magazine IMO. If you are currently enrolled in a university science program then you most likely find the articles related to your field of study lacking, but in that case you would be better off reading Science or Nature.

Overall, I look forward to finding Scientific American in my mailbox more than any other magazine.

Return to “Science”