Most geeky thing you've done recently.

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ImagingGeek

Re: Most geeky thing you've done recently.

Postby ImagingGeek » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

1) Attempted (and failed) to find a way to graph the "23-dimentional" data in a meaningful 2D format, using data produced by an algorithm I wrote to analyse morphology in microscope data. Hint: PCA is not sufficient...

2) Got board doing the above, so I attempted to improve a program I started a long time ago to convert DNA sequences into "music". Quotes, because right now "random noise" is a more accurate description of what it currently creates.

B
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

TheCassowary

Postby TheCassowary » Sat May 19, 2012 2:28 am UTC

Don't know if the geeky things I've done are at the same level of genius as you others, but I have started work on figuring out the percentage of David Bowie's songs which reference to space. Not very recent, but in 6th grade I constructed a tessarect out of popsicle sticks, glue, and string.

I'm also very fond of making useless studies, such as which animals are the most squishy (goats) and how hairiness is proportional to manliness (afraid the proof has run into a problem, I'm working on it).

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:38 am UTC

Wait, how do you determine what animal is squishiest? That sounds awesome and why isn't it an invertebrate?

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sat May 19, 2012 7:52 am UTC

I'm in a room full of people watching the SpaceX launch.

I'm not actually watching it, I'm making a post here and then playing D3 and listening to cool music - because egads, space news coverage by general media is slightly less interesting than the pollen report - but recently, definitely yeah.

And by "watching the launch", I mean "watching the news try to be interesting about something that is only going to last about 17 minutes, an hour from now."
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun May 20, 2012 1:35 am UTC

Had my first LAN party. Played Warcraft III.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

TheCassowary

Postby TheCassowary » Sun May 20, 2012 1:47 am UTC

KrO2 wrote:Wait, how do you determine what animal is squishiest? That sounds awesome and why isn't it an invertebrate?

My definition of squishiness is squish distance. This is the distance from the unsquished state to the completely squished state, and I don't mean squishing the animal to death (of course, that would give every animal the same squishiness factor), it has to be tolerable for the animal. I also have to account for the animal's size to get a comparative ratio. Something like volume of the animal divided by distance of squish. Try squishing a goat some time, it's confounding.

Then again, this is all crazy and made up. Let the debate about squishiness go on! Man, now I really want to start a thread for bosh science.

SWGlassPit

Postby SWGlassPit » Mon May 21, 2012 7:17 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:I'm in a room full of people watching the SpaceX launch.

I'm not actually watching it, I'm making a post here and then playing D3 and listening to cool music - because egads, space news coverage by general media is slightly less interesting than the pollen report - but recently, definitely yeah.

And by "watching the launch", I mean "watching the news try to be interesting about something that is only going to last about 17 minutes, an hour from now."

You should watch NASA TV or SpaceVidCast for these things. Traditional media just doesn't cover space launches well at all.
Up in space is a laboratory the size of a football field zipping along at 7 km/s. It's my job to keep it safe.
Erdös number: 5

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

When my roommate started singing Coldplay's "Swallowed In The Sea", I figured 5 lines of text are about 1 inch, so I wrote a "n bottles of beer" program, starting at n = 6336000.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

The Geoff

Postby The Geoff » Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

TheCassowary wrote:Don't know if the geeky things I've done are at the same level of genius as you others, but I have started work on figuring out the percentage of David Bowie's songs which reference to space.

Along that line, I once wrote a program which generated the lyrics to "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" with a significant saving compared to simply writing the lyrics out. As a side note, "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" must rank as one of the geekiest songs out there, what with the literal version and central role in the excellent film "Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel".

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 am UTC

Huh. Correspondingly, it compresses well. (The song is 3042 characters, which means a 3 kb file. Compressed as a .zip, it's .8, while a random pastiche from the BBC of exactly 3042 characters compresses to 1.6. Bonnie Tyler's lyrics contain almost exactly half the information of a random pastiche from the BBC home page.)
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

The Geoff

Postby The Geoff » Fri May 25, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

I did think about testing various songs to see how far they could be compressed (I'm guessing 2 Unlimited's astoundingly dreadful "No Limit" would be up there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzaXoN7ztI), didn't think about just zipping the text file, that's quite a clever way to do it!

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri May 25, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

No, you just compressed it by hand, which is infinitely more badass. = )

Hmm. I forgot to account for the "container" information, which is 140 bytes. Removing that, the BBC text compresses at a ratio of .48 and Tyler at .22. "No Limit" gets .31. It actually repeats itself slightly less - but I don't think it would fare as well if we were considering propositional density. = )

Edit: For reference, a good song (represented by Regina Spektor's Düsseldorf) gets .55. = )
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sun May 27, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Playing a ball game at the beach, counted the score in various counting systems: decimal, binary, balanced ternary, and successive words from the opening speech of Shakespeare's Henry V.

Spoiler:
Oh, for a muse of fire that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention!
A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,
And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!
Then should the warlike Harry, like himself,
Assume the port of Mars, and at his heels,
Leashed in like hounds, should famine, sword, and fire
Crouch for employment.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

MichiK

Postby MichiK » Tue May 29, 2012 12:59 am UTC

I figured out how to edit OpenStreetMap because a spelling mistake right around the corner bothered me (Oh no, someone is wrong on the internet!). Then, I spent the rest of the night adding every single building, driveway and track of the small village in which I grew up... damn perfectionism.

Return to “Science”