You Might Be a Biology Major if...

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Admiral Valdemar

Re: You Might Be a Biology Major if...

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Cobramaster wrote:And in an unrelated biology note you feel cheated that kids nowadays get to stain agarose gels with ethidium bromide sheets instead of the big tubs of mutagen you had to use.

I only noticed that at work in the bioanalysis labs. They have these kits now, whereas I had to pour the damn stuff using those old white latex gloves to boot that made your hands stink for weeks.

Ahh, memories.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

endospire wrote:And, when you silently rage when people mistake it for microbiology

Yeah, the textbooks are way smaller.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Roĝer

Postby Roĝer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I always liked the story about the anaconda and the croc that had a fight to the death. The snake won, then burst when eating the glorified lizard.

I wish we could see more such creature fights. I know they used to organise them in Victorian times after cockfighting and dogfights got old (lion versus grizzly: FIGHT!). Pity a big part of me finds it abhorrent. If it happens naturally, though...

Or the opposite.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

Admiral Valdemar

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

Obviously they were liberal commie copies of the real thing. Where's the manly action we need to put on DVD as a stocking filler?!

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

If you get frustrated when you flip through a textbook in current print that classifies bacteria in the kingdom "Monera." No, not frustrated. Positively furious.

If you get extremely irritated when watching marine biology documentaries and they consistently call any and every organism in the Protista kingdom a "plant."

(Very simple and obvious qualms, but nonetheless irksome.)

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:37 am UTC

Similarly, watching any natural history program muttering "it's a bit more complicated than that" and/or predicting what they'll say seconds before the narrator says it.

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:48 am UTC

QuiteJaughty wrote:YMBABM if, every 5 pages of Andromeda Strain (or any Crichton novel), you pause, cringe, and thing "Dammit, that's NOT HOW IT WORKS!"

This made me lol. My father is a hardcore, Limbaugh-lovin', conservative, and he references Crichton as evidence against the global warming CONSPIRACY (Oh me yarm). :D Yaayyyyy.

(... Oh wait.)

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:59 am UTC

If, as a youth, you thought the (seemingly) blatant similarity in the words of "entomology" and "etymology" was symbolic of a neologism known as "entymology."

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 am UTC

crowey wrote:Similarly, watching any natural history program muttering "it's a bit more complicated than that" and/or predicting what they'll say seconds before the narrator says it.

I'm all over that last part. I could totally write some nature shows.

"Did you know that _________ _________?" YES now tell me something ELSE I didn't already learn while I was in elementary school!

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:22 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:To be fair, a former president of the Botanical Society of America defines a plant as a photosynthetic eukaryote, and a whole lot of protists are photosynthetic, so maybe they just pointed at the photosynthetic ones and you didn't notice?

Point taken. (But aren't plants technically multicellular, thus disqualifying them as phytoplankton?)

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:Lucky, fish biologists get no such love.

I found it had something to do with the handful of dessicated minnows I forgot I put in my pocket.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Agent_Irons

Postby Agent_Irons » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:
YMBABM if you consider the perfect organism has already evolved. And it's not eukaryotic (a certain quote by Gould springs to mind).

Already evolved isn't too hard to swallow, but not eukaryotic?

It's the simplicity. Eukaryotic systems have a certain over-engineered feel to them sometimes.

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Engineered? Heathen! :P

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:25 am UTC

LemonyCricket wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:To be fair, a former president of the Botanical Society of America defines a plant as a photosynthetic eukaryote, and a whole lot of protists are photosynthetic, so maybe they just pointed at the photosynthetic ones and you didn't notice?

Point taken. (But aren't plants technically multicellular, thus disqualifying them as phytoplankton?)

Surely you don't think kelp are unicelllular? Unless you'd call an amoeba an animal, you should confine plants to plantae, and call the rest alga.

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:40 am UTC

Dibley wrote:
LemonyCricket wrote:

Surely you don't think kelp are unicelllular? Unless you'd call an amoeba an animal, you should confine plants to plantae, and call the rest alga.

I do not think of kelp as unicellular at all. XD I was just saying, based on this former Botanical-Society-of-America president's definition, it still doesn't justify calling every autotrophic organism a plant.

(I guess I didn't make that clear. At all. ._.; My apologies.)

QuiteJaughty

Postby QuiteJaughty » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:02 am UTC

Addendum to my Crichton post: You watch any movie that hinges on evolution or genes, and you cringe and want to cry. Gene splicing? Goddammit, IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT! What brought this up? Avatar... *shudder*...
Though interestingly enough, throughout the movie, every animal seems to have the same little stalk thing that allows these linkups or whatever. That is biologically sound - unity and diversity and all that jazz. Similar to ATP usage methinks.
Off topic: Good movie :D

TwentySeconds

Postby TwentySeconds » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 am UTC

Blokey wrote:If you think an acceptable chat-up line is:
"If I were an enzyme, I'd be DNA Helicase, so I could unzip your genes."

I officially love you
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
— Dr. Seuss

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:27 am UTC

Agent_Irons wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:
YMBABM if you consider the perfect organism has already evolved. And it's not eukaryotic (a certain quote by Gould springs to mind).

Already evolved isn't too hard to swallow, but not eukaryotic?

It's the simplicity. Eukaryotic systems have a certain over-engineered feel to them sometimes.

I suppose that makes sense. Think of it this way: the only things likely to be able to live on most rocky planets are prokaryotic. they have to be doing something right.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

YMBABM if your Xmas gift to yourself is a half-decomposed coyote.

The dermestids will eat well in the new year.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

crowey

Postby crowey » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:The dermestids will eat well in the new year.

This has such a wonderfully menacing sound to it. I'm picturing you in a draughty castle wearing a smoking jacket, with a glass of brandy and twirling your moustache. MWAHAHAHAHAHAaaa

(also, sigged)

TwentySeconds

Postby TwentySeconds » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:53 am UTC

YMBABM if a dissecting case, goggles, and gloves are items frequently found in your purse (or on your person)...just in case
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
— Dr. Seuss

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Mokele wrote:YMBABM if your Xmas gift to yourself is a half-decomposed coyote.
The dermestids will eat well in the new year.
You might be a bio major if you even /own/ Dermestid beetles.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Username4242
Location: (Previously) Montana State University--Bozeman, Montana.

Postby Username4242 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:30 am UTC

You were overjoyed when you received a gift composed of six mummified bird legs.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:32 am UTC

You get a copy of Gray's Anatomy for Christmas and nearly have a heart attack from the joy.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

Cobramaster wrote:And in an unrelated biology note you feel cheated that kids nowadays get to stain agarose gels with ethidium bromide sheets instead of the big tubs of mutagen you had to use.

Pfft, what is this crap? Way back in the day, I probably got enough EtBr-containing buffer solution inside my gloves (running gels in great big tubs of the stuff) to turn me into a teenage mutant ninja turtle*.

* Yeaaaah. Another of these really bad fictional descriptions of mutation, just to piss off some people reading this thread :)
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

viscusanima wrote:You get a copy of Gray's Anatomy for Christmas and nearly have a heart attack from the joy.

/gasm

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

TwentySeconds wrote:YMBABM if a dissecting case, goggles, and gloves are items frequently found in your purse (or on your person)...just in case

So true

If you have ever found your dog eating a mummified chicken you were saving for a special occasion.
And you are the only person in the room who does not hesitate to go elbow deep in a deer chest cavity to remove an entire cardio vascular system intact minus peripheral arteries.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

Cobramaster wrote:And you are the only person in the room who does not hesitate to go elbow deep in a deer chest cavity

Real biologists do it in the field.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Agent_Irons

Postby Agent_Irons » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:13 am UTC

crowey wrote:Engineered? Heathen! :P

Technically true.

And if a deer comes through your window in the middle of your christmas party? Don't turn up your nose at perfectly good entrails just because you didn't shoot them yourself.

ellaruby

Postby ellaruby » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:24 am UTC

YMBABM if you received a heart in a jar, Origin of Species and dead animals to dissect for your birthday, and loved it :)

Admiral Valdemar wrote:YMBABM if you consider the perfect organism has already evolved.

How exactly are we defining perfect?

Interactive Civilian

Postby Interactive Civilian » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 am UTC

YMBABM if, upon finding a complete lack of dissection manuals, anatomy charts, or even useful papers about the species you are dissecting, you decide you are going to get a couple more specimens and make your own damn manuals.

8)

We are doing dissections in my 12th grade biology class, and due to some administrative SNAFU and bureaucratic red tape, we couldn't order the dogfish specimens we wanted (the school is apparently not allowed to order direct from non-Thai companies, or I would have just contacted Carolina Biological myself), so my assistant teacher, clever guy that he is, bought 5 tawny nurse sharks (which are caught for food here) from a local fish market. We then preserved them and are now dissecting them. The dogfish dissection manual is OK for some of the basic internal anatomy and general external anatomy, but it is useless for skull and jaw structure and most of the muscles in the head and neck. All I could find for that kind of stuff was a paper on anatomy of feeding apparatuses of regular nurse sharks, which is close but still has some annoying differences.

So the plan is, after the semester ends (Thai school year ends in Feb.) I'm going to get a few more and document the hell out of dissecting them: pictures, diagram, dissection notes, and whatever information I can gather about these sharks. Hopefully I'll be able to compile it all together to give some open access detailed anatomy of these sharks. Expect a thread about it when the time comes. :)
I (x2+y2-1)3-x2y3=0 science.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

My marine invertebrate zoology lab was effectively a life drawing class, but instead of naked models we drew inverts. (Awes... er... Nuts... Well... Cool?) There is both a shocking lack of anatomical information to be had on many of these creatures, and a hilarious ease in acquiring them. Of particular note was our cephalopod section; the squid had been caught from the Santa Monica or whatever fish bazaar early that morning. We ate the dissected specimen after we finished.

YMBABMI your intended line of study takes you to the most exotic locations on Earth.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Interactive Civilian

Postby Interactive Civilian » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My marine invertebrate zoology lab was effectively a life drawing class,

Sounds marginally better than my spineless creatures class, though you did say lab. We didn't have lab for spineless creatures, just lecture, and they could have renamed it "Greek and Latin Name Memorization Class". Ugh, it was so boring, which is a shame because invertebrates are fascinating.

YMBABM if calling invertebrates "spineless creatures" still puts a little smile on your face. ;)
I (x2+y2-1)3-x2y3=0 science.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

Heh, yes to both your points.
I wasn't very good at memorizing stuff below Order organization very well, but thought the stuff was fucking amazing. Invert Zoo classes are like being taken by the hand and walked through the evolution of the ocean; you literally see the development of more and more complicated structures until you arrive at urochordates and say "my, wasn't that fun?"
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mouseposture

Postby mouseposture » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

ellaruby wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:YMBABM if you consider the perfect organism has already evolved.

We could recognize the perfect organism, if it existed, by the fact that it had *stopped* evolving.

nomadofthehills

Postby nomadofthehills » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I always liked the story about the anaconda and the croc that had a fight to the death. The snake won, then burst when eating the glorified lizard.

YMBABM when you know that the "anaconda" was a Burmese python (Python mollurus bivittatus) and the "croc" was an American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis).

YMBA Wildlife Biology major when you stop and cut the heads off of cool roadkilled animals.

Ultra H

Postby Ultra H » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:15 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:
Sartorius wrote:You get frustrated with the arbitrary definitions of vegetables and fruits in the food pyramid. Corn and peas are fruits.

Can definately relate to that. As an addendum, raspberries and strawberries aren't real berries. The former is a friggin' aggregate fruit.

You might be bio major if, when revealing your major, common folk ask you why you're interested in plants.

...though once I was asked if I was into rocks when I said biology major...

I this doesn't really apply to what you're talking about, but I was actually just thinking the other day how it would be really cool to learn the scientific names for all the fruits, vegetables and even animals. So I could say Fragaria ananassa instead of strawberry. :> It would make life so much more interesting.

Not to mention if you're playing a game like Taboo, it's likely that the scientific name won't be on the list of things to describe the object. :-)

You know you should be a science major at all if you can't watch an anime without noticing the constant defiance of the laws of physics.

Admiral Valdemar

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:13 am UTC

Ultra H wrote:
I this doesn't really apply to what you're talking about, but I was actually just thinking the other day how it would be really cool to learn the scientific names for all the fruits, vegetables and even animals. So I could say Fragaria ananassa instead of strawberry. :> It would make life so much more interesting.

Not to mention if you're playing a game like Taboo, it's likely that the scientific name won't be on the list of things to describe the object. :-)

You know you should be a science major at all if you can't watch an anime without noticing the constant defiance of the laws of physics.

YMBABMI... you insist on correcting the non-italicised use of a genus and species in a post in a thread about biology majors. Well, at least you capitalised the first half. :P

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 am UTC

mouseposture wrote:
ellaruby wrote:

We could recognize the perfect organism, if it existed, by the fact that it had *stopped* evolving.

YMBABM if comments like this make you want to reply that evolution doesn't produce perfection, and it never stops. (At least, not as long as there are living things.)

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:32 am UTC

qetzal wrote:
mouseposture wrote:
ellaruby wrote:

YMBABM if comments like this make you want to reply that evolution doesn't produce perfection, and it never stops. (At least, not as long as there are living things.)

It actually just makes me want to cry and say that it doesn't make any sense, really. At best, some organism is outperforming everything in its niche.

Which is more perfect? A bacteria with or without penicillin resistance?

It depends on whether or not there's penicillin around...

Return to “Science”