Random Peptide Libraries

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

psyck0

Random Peptide Libraries

Postby psyck0 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:39 am UTC

Could anyone tell me who came up with the first method for making them, and what method is currently used? I am having an impossible time finding this via google- all I get are dozens and dozens of patents and I don't have the time to read them all. Thanks!

qetzal

Re: Random Peptide Libraries

Postby qetzal » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:38 am UTC

I'm not sure, but at least for random peptide libraries on beads, I think one of the first publications (if not 'the' first) was Lam et al. (1991), A New Type of Synthetic Peptide Library for Identifying Ligand-Binding Activity; Nature v.354, pp. 82-84.

Even if that's not what you're looking for, may one of the references it cites will be what you want.

Interactive Civilian

Postby Interactive Civilian » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:24 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Could anyone tell me who came up with the first method for making them, and what method is currently used? I am having an impossible time finding this via google- all I get are dozens and dozens of patents and I don't have the time to read them all. Thanks!

Did you try searching Google Scholar? There seem like a few papers there which are open access and might point you in the right direction through their references.

GS search for "peptide library"

Incidentally, the first link in the search is the article cited by qetzal, but, being Nature, it is not open access. Still, its Google Scholar "cited by" link might point you to newer stuff.
I (x2+y2-1)3-x2y3=0 science.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

I actually want older stuff. I have access to most journals through my university. Scholar wasn't finding me the early publications and I can't dig through 3 layers of citations for them. Lam is a good start, though, that's pretty early. Thanks.

Seli

Postby Seli » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:54 am UTC

The oldest reference I got by searching for "peptide libraries" in Web of Knowledge is
RANDOM PEPTIDE LIBRARIES - A SOURCE OF SPECIFIC PROTEIN-BINDING MOLECULES by DEVLIN JJ, PANGANIBAN LC, DEVLIN PE in SCIENCE Volume: 249 Issue: 4967 Pages: 404-406 Published: JUL 27 1990.
They actually used Phage display to create their random library.

Peptide library resulted in:
Title: SEARCHING FOR PEPTIDE LIGANDS WITH AN EPITOPE LIBRARY
Author(s): SCOTT JK, SMITH GP
Source: SCIENCE Volume: 249 Issue: 4967 Pages: 386-390 Published: JUL 27 1990

Also using Phages

Sadly scifinder has decided not to like me today.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Have any of you heard of "random sequence short peptide synthesis"? My google-fu is failing me, pubmed is not working either.

Return to “Science”