Auditory hallucination before falling asleep

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

PerPer

Auditory hallucination before falling asleep

Postby PerPer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

Very often, when I'm trying to fall asleep, I experience very profound auditory hallucinations. It's almost always a musical piece of some sort, mostly random rhythms and notes, but sometimes specific songs. It almost always gets me annoyed or frustrated, specifically when it's some sort of drum solo. Luckily I always figure out that it's all in my head, and then I just increase my lucidity which makes me snap out of it. This only happens when I'm tired and about to fall asleep. I usually have similar events, where I start to dream before I fall asleep, causing me to imagine totally ludicrous conversations.

Does anybody else get auditory hallucinations like this?
"If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves." - Douglas Adams

To bad you can only use 255 characters, otherwise I would write somethin

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Auditory hallucination before falling asleep

Postby Xanthir » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Quite a lot, when I was dozing on the school bus, I'd get auditory hallucinations that sounded like morse code. It only ever happened there, and nobody else ever heard it, so I'm pretty certain it was just in my head.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Kow

Postby Kow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 am UTC

This happens to me too. When I'm falling asleep I'll hear like snippits of words or phrases, usually unintelligible. It only ever happens when I'm on the more tired when I try to sleep than when I'm not as tired.

RogerMurdock

Postby RogerMurdock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnogogic

Hypnogogic sounds are very common and are exactly as you describe.

Sounds

Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on – or summations of – their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject’s own ‘inner voice’, or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.[27]
Sleep paralysis

Humming, roaring, hissing, rushing and buzzing noises are frequent in conjunction with sleep paralysis (SP). This happens when the REM atonia sets in sooner than usual, before the person is fully asleep, or persists longer than usual, after the person has (in other respects) fully awoken.[17

Twistar

Postby Twistar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:50 am UTC

Sometimes I hear someone saying my name really loudly and it causes me to sit up in alarm sometimes. I usually realize after that I'd been hearing these hypnagogic sounds for a little bit and they'd been annoying me.

hotnewrelease

Postby hotnewrelease » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:37 am UTC

I get this sometimes when I'm about to sleep or wake up, but when I do, it's like I can hear an entire song in my head, all of the notes, etc. at once, (which is something I can't do while totally awake)

Twistar

Postby Twistar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

haha or if its a rubik's cube. That one really freaks me out.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:I tend to get whole dream-like hallucinations as I'm falling asleep; I'm aware of them enough to know that I'm falling asleep, but that if I concentrate on anything I'll wake up.

The tetris effect is fun too - especially when it's nethack or dwarf fortress instead of tetris.

What's that? I don't get it. Please explain.
I sometimes get songs stuck in my head, while awake. But I think that has another name. Also the "dream an entire song in perfect pitch" but I'm not sure if it's a false memory I dreamt the song, or I can actually play an imaginary ipod in my dreams. :P
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:44 am UTC

I often start dreaming before I actually fall asleep. Just before the visuals start, I often get hypnogogic sounds, usually a voice calling my name, sometimes the "exploding head" thing. When the exploding head sound happens, it's often accompanied by a brief falling sensation.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:50 am UTC

The most recent auditory hallucination I have had was three loud bangs, like gunshots or a balloon popping. It freaked me out; in fact, I was sitting upright looking around by the time the third sound happened, so I never experienced the paralysis that is supposed to occur with such sleep hallucinations.

Usually, though, I get visual hallucinations; seeing something like a spiderweb flying at my face is a common one for me when I'm half-asleep or just waking up.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:16 am UTC

Occasionally, just as I'm drifting off to sleep, I imagine myself stepping out into a road without looking, or I'm crossing it at an angle such that I'm facing away from oncoming traffic. All at once, as it begins, I'm noticing a large truck or bus speeding into me. It's already pressing up against me, there's no time to do anything; if only I'd looked before I started crossing, but now it's here and it's too late and I've ruined my life. Right beside me, it blares it's horn. Suddenly I'm wide awake and anxious. It's the worst practical joke ever.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

AwesomeJosh

Postby AwesomeJosh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:I often start dreaming before I actually fall asleep. Just before the visuals start, I often get hypnogogic sounds, usually a voice calling my name, sometimes the "exploding head" thing. When the exploding head sound happens, it's often accompanied by a brief falling sensation.

I get the falling sensation a lot, and it always causes me to jolt out of my drowsy state, because I either try to catch myself, or lift my legs or something. I've also had hypnogogic hallucinations of friends talking to me but I can never make out what they are saying, even though it feels so real that for a moment when I wake up I think they are actually there.

Kow

Postby Kow » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:23 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:The most recent auditory hallucination I have had was three loud bangs, like gunshots or a balloon popping. It freaked me out; in fact, I was sitting upright looking around by the time the third sound happened, so I never experienced the paralysis that is supposed to occur with such sleep hallucinations.

Usually, though, I get visual hallucinations; seeing something like a spiderweb flying at my face is a common one for me when I'm half-asleep or just waking up.

From my experience and research, etc, I've found that sleep paralysis is more often on the tail end of sleep. People wake up and are unable to move, which is often accompanied with a really heavy feeling on your chest, as if someone's sitting on you. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia about some lore associated with it:

Folk belief in Newfoundland, South Carolina and Georgia describe the negative figure of the Hag who leaves her physical body at night, and sits on the chest of her victim. The victim usually wakes with a feeling of terror, has difficulty breathing because of a perceived heavy invisible weight on his or her chest, and is unable to move i.e., experiences sleep paralysis. This nightmare experience is described as being "hag-ridden" in the Gullah lore. The "Old Hag" was a nightmare spirit in British and also Anglophone North American folklore.

I've also found that I often have things thrown at me in that pre-sleep period. I try to catch it and wake up from the movement. Same goes with falling. It feels like my bed is tipping and I'm sliding towards the foot of the bed, so I have to move or kick my legs to regain my footing (while laying down :P )

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:06 am UTC

In Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman, Richard Feynman wrote a brief bit about his 'auditory hypnogogic hallucinations', which caused him to "fail" an army mental health exam. It's toward the end of "The Army doesn't need you!"
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Return to “Science”