Think: What color do you associate Chemistry with?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

pernero

Think: What color do you associate Chemistry with?

Postby pernero » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

It seems most people have a predisposition to say "Green".

Why is that?

TaintedDeity

Re: Think: What color do you associate Chemistry with?

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

Because toxic chemicals/poisons are green! Whooo! Acid is going to melt through everything and it is green! Aggghhh! Run awayyy!

There's a stereotype that chemicals in a lab are brightly coloured and usually green. So, I guess, Chemistry is green.

Interestingly, I thought of the colour orange because I owned a book about Chemistry when I was younger with orange on the front.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Kow

Postby Kow » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

White 'cause the periodic table's always white.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Actually, for me it's lightish blue or lightish green, a mixture between the two, always faint bluey green. The word "Chemistry" in my mind is blue and my assosiciation with the topic is bluey green for...no real reason. I think it is the whole stereotypical "green acid" thing but I don't know for sure. Maybe I should be posting in the synaesthesia thread instead...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

I think of yellow, actually, probably because of sulfur.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Twistar

Postby Twistar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

red I would say. A lot of my colors for school subjects have gotten muddled by not being able to buy the colored notebook I want however.

morvita

Postby morvita » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

I associate chemistry with purple, probably because all the cabinets in my undergrad chemistry labs were painted purple.

Image Image
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. - Futurama 4x08 Godfellas

mikhail

Postby mikhail » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

'Twas green for me, but then I started overthinking it and now can't decide. Misleading title, OP. *Shakes fist*

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

I don't really associate it with a color, but if you force me to, maybe clear and colorless, because of acid. For what it's worth, the smell I smell is the smell of hydrochloric acid.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Chemistry is red.
Biology is green.
Physics is blue.
Psychology is yellow.
This is the colour scheme my school folders, and timetable follow.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Chem is dark green, also called forest green. Mainly because my chem books have always been dark green.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

Red for me, not sure why. I guess I associate red with acid because of litmus paper.

I don't have colours for other subjects so much, although I do think of biology as rather blueish.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Chemistry's yellow, and I don't know why. Test tubes are yellow under lamplight?

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Blue! Because (and I don't know if this is even true) my chemistry teacher said that electrons were blue. o_O

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

Blue. Light, somewhat clear blue. Also, to a lesser degree, black and red.

Absolutely no idea why.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

I think of the Brown Glass color that you keep all of the liquid chemicals in, also the same brown of beer bottles but hey my chem department is a bunch of alcoholics so its appropriate.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:40 am UTC

Phoenix112358 wrote:Blue! Because (and I don't know if this is even true) my chemistry teacher said that electrons were blue. o_O

I'm, um, pretty sure that doesn't make any sense. It's been a while since I studied what causes what EM emission, but... I'm pretty sure the photons that you can see were emitted when electrons fell from higher to lower orbital. In other words, they cause the light, but don't have colors.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:50 am UTC

I actually think of an atom. And the protons are colored orange and the neutrons black. (which happen to be the representative colors for Halloween strangely enough. Maybe Chemistry scares me?)

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:31 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:
Phoenix112358 wrote:Blue! Because (and I don't know if this is even true) my chemistry teacher said that electrons were blue. o_O

I'm, um, pretty sure that doesn't make any sense. It's been a while since I studied what causes what EM emission, but... I'm pretty sure the photons that you can see were emitted when electrons fell from higher to lower orbital. In other words, they cause the light, but don't have colors.

I was going to say that, but didn't because I was worried that was one of them lies that teachers tell.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Red was the first colour I think of when I read the thread. Maybe it has to do with all those sodium/water reactions that they have shown us......

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Blue. I color code my notes by subject, and I had a blue binder for chemistry because that just clicked.

(It's green for biology though. This makes it very strange and confusing for me, since I'm trying to be consistent in keeping my "science" notes blue and my "social studies" notes green. For some reason I associate economics with green, but US History with blue. ._.; )
Last edited by LemonyCricket on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:38 am UTC

The EGE wrote:Blue. Light, somewhat clear blue. Also, to a lesser degree, black and red.

Absolutely no idea why.

I think black and red in organic chemistry due to the somewhat-universal coding system for the elements. ._.; (Black for carbon, red for oxygen. :D)

(Carbonyl group, WUT WUT?)

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:38 am UTC

LemonyCricket wrote:Blue. I color code my notes by subject, and I had a blue binder for chemistry because that just clicked.

(It's green for biology though. This makes it very strange and confusing for me, since I'm trying to be consistent in keeping my "science" notes blue and my "social studies" notes green. For some reason I associate economics with green, but US History with blue. ._.;)

Same here. If nothing else, I just kept a colour scheme going from high school to university, and chemistry got blue, bio got green, math got black, etc.

On the other hand, what kind/course of chemistry? Organic chem was always black or white, because organic compounds aren't usually all that colourful (I know there are exceptions, it just seems that there are a lot of colourless reagents).

wizardy42

Postby wizardy42 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 am UTC

Last edited by wizardy42 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Also blue, but I honestly have no idea why. It just seems like a blue sort of thing.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Whelan wrote:
Shivahn wrote:

I was going to say that, but didn't because I was worried that was one of them lies that teachers tell.

About a month ago, I learned in organic chem that dissolving elemental sodium in liquid ammonia makes the solution a deep blue color--apparently it's caused by the electrons themselves (Sodium's outter-most one, that is) becoming solvated and forming complexes with the ammonia. (Yay, Wikipedia agrees!)

On topic:
The first color that came to mind when I read the title was a light, transparent blue. It probably has something to do with how I've been using blue folders/notebooks/binders for chemistry for the last few years.
Last edited by UnderRock on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Twistar

Postby Twistar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:22 am UTC

LemonyCricket wrote:Blue. I color code my notes by subject, and I had a blue binder for chemistry because that just clicked.

(It's green for biology though. This makes it very strange and confusing for me, since I'm trying to be consistent in keeping my "science" notes blue and my "social studies" notes green. For some reason I associate economics with green, but US History with blue. ._.;)

Yeah its so hard to keep it consistent. Social studies is definitly green though. I mean.. what color is history other than green? originally I think I had science as black but that was like life science and wasn't really a class. Chem eventually got yellow, physics is bluish black I guess. Math is blue all the way. I won't buy non-blue notebooks for math, like even the only choice is some non-blue notebook and I NEED it I will go somewhere else.

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:08 am UTC

Twistar wrote:Social studies is definitly green though. I mean.. what color is history other than green?

No, history is definitely brown.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:13 am UTC

A light orange. I have no explanation for this. Physics is a deep blue.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:19 am UTC

Chemistry doesn't have a color. Mad Science? That's green.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 am UTC

All colours.

Shokk

Postby Shokk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

I'm also predisposed to think "Green" as well, but when I think of it, it's a rather faded out, unsaturated limey-ish green.
Like a lime green that withered up and died and then started to collect dust.
Not that that symbolises chemistry to me or anything.
Sometimes I'd associate it with a deep (possibly green-tinted) Black color. But that's mostly just because I think Chemistry>Alchemy>Lead/Nigredo/AllThatJazz.
I have a pair of pants.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Green. Chosen before clicking.

Our Chemistry exercise books in Years 7-9 were lime green. But that just puts the problem back one step to 'why did the teachers choose that?'.

Maths - Red (more saturated)
Physics - Red (less saturated)
Biology - Blue
History - Brown
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Twistar wrote:Yeah its so hard to keep it consistent. Social studies is definitly green though. I mean.. what color is history other than green? originally I think I had science as black but that was like life science and wasn't really a class. Chem eventually got yellow, physics is bluish black I guess. Math is blue all the way. I won't buy non-blue notebooks for math, like even the only choice is some non-blue notebook and I NEED it I will go somewhere else.

I associate math with blue as well, but I decided to use a purple color scheme for my math notes. ._.; It feels almost blasphemous when I use my purple binder for math; purple always makes me think of ultra-violet radiation (lol i wunder y). I guess that would be more along the lines of physics. Ho hum.

Damn you, synesthesia. Curses to you and all your children. -hiss-

oxy

Postby oxy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

I've always seen chemistry as yellow.
Bio is green.
Math is black
History is like a dark blue

No strong feelings about the other classes.

Adrien

Postby Adrien » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

I associate Chemistry with red, probably because all of my chemistry binders have been red (A decision I made back in middle school when I had Intro to Chem, and I still associated Chemistry with blowing stuff up (Ok, to be honest, I still do that)).

My Biology binders have always been blue, and physics black and white. Math has always been solid white but I can't associate it to any one color, instead I associate it to a little award I got back in Middle School which had a picture of a bear holding a sign that said, "Outstanding student".

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Ive associated the colours based on the folders that my school gives out for each subject :

Chemistry is Blue
Physics is Red
Biology is Green

Although now my physics folder is just black the association still stays behind in my mind.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

I instantly associate both chemistry and biology with green...but I don't think there is anyone who doesn't associate biology with green.

the toxic waste theory seems plausible.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

LemonyCricket

Postby LemonyCricket » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:I instantly associate both chemistry and biology with green...but I don't think there is anyone who doesn't associate biology with green.

the toxic waste theory seems plausible.

Chlorophyll, you viridescent scoundrel.

Whimsical Eloquence

Postby Whimsical Eloquence » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:46 am UTC

Purple, clearly.
“People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.”
~ Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Science”