Airzooka physics

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Syntax

Airzooka physics

Postby Syntax » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

So what makes these things work? I'd like to build my own but I don't want to just go through trial and error if I don't have to; I'd prefer to know how the shape/dimensions would affect the speed/size of the vortex ring before I try it out.

Winter Man

Re: Airzooka physics

Postby Winter Man » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

.......................................|-----------------
....................................../
|..................................../
|_________________________/_____

You can make one from a pringles can with a hole in one end, a balloon, and a piece of string. Best thing to do is make loads and work out what works. Well, maybe not best, but the most fun.
Explosion, WAH!

Syntax

Postby Syntax » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 am UTC

Well I'm actually more interested in the underlying dynamics AND I already have a real one, but just for fun I just made one out of a folger's coffee can and a latex condom roughly based upon your design(the reservoir tip replaces the string in your diagram). The results were less than stellar. I didn't get the kind of vortex ring I was looking for and I snapped myself in the damn eye because it was lubricated and slid off when I had it pulled back.

And now my fingers are all greasy and they smell funny.

rho

Postby rho » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Syntax wrote:Well I'm actually more interested in the underlying dynamics AND I already have a real one, but just for fun I just made one out of a folger's coffee can and a latex condom roughly based upon your design(the reservoir tip replaces the string in your diagram). The results were less than stellar. I didn't get the kind of vortex ring I was looking for and I snapped myself in the damn eye because it was lubricated and slid off when I had it pulled back.

And now my fingers are all greasy and they smell funny.

I lolled. If this is the only bad experience you have with a condom you should consider yourself lucky.

Wikipedia seems a pretty good place to start.

Also, this is nice from New Scientist.
Less Than Three.

Syntax

Postby Syntax » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:53 am UTC

rho wrote:I lolled. If this is the only bad experience you have with a condom you should consider yourself lucky.

Wikipedia seems a pretty good place to start.

Also, this is nice from New Scientist.

Yeah if I had other options with said condoms I wouldn't be at home alone making science toys. :\ What I really want to do is replace the drawstring/condom/balloon with a stereo sub-woofer, but I don't want to shell out the cash unless I have some solid theory to go on which would lead me to believe it would work. I figure if I could make hundreds of successive rings in a short amount of time, I could make a TRULY blade-less fan that would make Dyson's look wimpy by comparison.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:37 am UTC

Syntax wrote:What I really want to do is replace the drawstring/condom/balloon with a stereo sub-woofer, but I don't want to shell out the cash

I wonder if it's possible to find a broken subwoofer with the part that you need intact.

Syntax

Postby Syntax » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:59 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:
Syntax wrote:What I really want to do is replace the drawstring/condom/balloon with a stereo sub-woofer, but I don't want to shell out the cash

I wonder if it's possible to find a broken subwoofer with the part that you need intact.

My thoughts exactly.

ongakujin

Postby ongakujin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:56 am UTC

I googled airzooka to see what designs I could find, and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDG-v0tYt4 I want one! It's basically an airzooka that uses the vortex ring to hold smoke in the shape of a ring. I wonder how difficult it would be to make your own. It would seem that all you need to do is come up with a way to fill up the chamber with smoke before you shoot it.

TescoPeeledPlums

Postby TescoPeeledPlums » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

ongakujin wrote: It would seem that all you need to do is come up with a way to fill up the chamber with smoke before you shoot it.

Dry Ice and warm water to vapourise it quickly. Or the kind of vapouriser you find that the bottom of ponds. They generate a lot of vapour rather quickly.
Also, quick question, what is this vapour actually "made of"? The kind in the video, I mean. It can't be dry ice, surely?
You can't overdose on homeopathy, but you can fucking drown.

Reddit needs an /r/circlejerk subreddit for these things, I don't like having gaudy blue things in my signature:
salsa cubesalsa cubesalsa cubesalsa cube

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Another way to make smoke is a bit of cloth with concentrated ammonia solution and another with hydrochloric acid, the vapors meet in the air to make an ammonium chloride cloud. Just toss both pieces of cloth in the barrel.

Should preferably be done outdoors though.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:47 am UTC

I know you can send gas or hairspray mist through the air with one of those at a candle, and it makes a really cool "whooosh!"

Return to “Science”