Why would I need to blow up the moon?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

DreadArchon

Re: Why would I need to blow up the moon?

Postby DreadArchon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

D.B. wrote:All I can think of is Dr Strangelove. Given how much destroying the moon would messup the earth, having a proven capability to do so seems an excellent MAD-style second strike mechanism. In the right political climate I'm sure people would pay you to develop such a thing.

You're saying there's a lunarcide gap!? :o
Deploy! Deploy!

genghis007

Postby genghis007 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Alternate project: Assume the moon is made of cheese and that you are successful in blowing it up. How much of the earth's population will suffer burns from melted cheese meteorites?

GENIUS!!!!!

Goldstein wrote:Let's face it, you've obviously got your heart set on blowing up the moon for your science thing at this point and, realistically, no-one's going to deter you from that goal. Wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if we accept that this is now something you're going to do, regardless of reason? Isn't that enough? What more would you ask of a man?

Yeah that's the way I'm going with the project and the way my tutor's dealing with it, but if I admit it the need for this thread's gone, and where's the fun in that? :P
Click here to make a clicking sound

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 am UTC

To make for a darker night sky, IMO.

Or you could always say a terrorist organization captured control over it and built underground colonies on the far side, and are building inter-planetary ballistic missiles.

Remember, always have a plan. It could happen.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:49 am UTC

Turtlewing wrote:
rocketrat wrote:Perhaps a better question could be asked: Why wouldn't you need to blow up the moon? It will achieve at least as much as landing on it did, and it's not like they had any particularly good reasons.

So you're saying "we choose to blow up the moon and do the other things not because it is easy, but because it is hard"?

Exactly. It's harder to blow up than land on, so that makes it a better project, according to that logic.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 am UTC

rocketrat wrote:
Turtlewing wrote:
rocketrat wrote:Perhaps a better question could be asked: Why wouldn't you need to blow up the moon? It will achieve at least as much as landing on it did, and it's not like they had any particularly good reasons.

So you're saying "we choose to blow up the moon and do the other things not because it is easy, but because it is hard"?

Exactly. It's harder to blow up than land on, so that makes it a better project, according to that logic.

One small step for a man, one giant boom for mankind?

Well if you're going put it that way, it certainly classes as a big achievement. We've never destroyed something that big before, have we? Or have we...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:35 am UTC

Someone already said distraction, but I think there's a political Machiavellian point to that.

Remember when we attacked Kosovo? You don't because it was the day after Columbine. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but it would have been a great one.

If you blow up the moon, imagine what you can get away with?
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Kayangelus

Postby Kayangelus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 am UTC

You could always blow up the moon so that pieces of it will end up falling on some country you don't like (if you are able to blow it up, shouldn't be too hard to figure out trajectory and timing), blame it on another country, and use them having blown up the moon to launch an attack on them. After the moon's pieces conveniently knocked out most of their satellites of course.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Remember, always have a plan. It could happen.

Now that you mention it, there have definitely been sessions of Risk 2210 in which I wished I could just blow up the moon...

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

That's no moon; it's a space station.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:36 am UTC

Coffee wrote:That's no moon; it's a space station.

I'd just like to say, first original time I've ever heard somebody use that quote that it's actually been funny. Congratulations sir.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:47 am UTC

Hey genghis007, don't assume we'll just let you drop this one. The moon's still there, what are you playing at?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

mouseposture

Postby mouseposture » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:57 am UTC

"To show the Martians, when they arrive, what Bomber Command can do."

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 am UTC

In RE this:
Goldstein wrote:Hey genghis007, don't assume we'll just let you drop this one. The moon's still there, what are you playing at?

There's your answer: Peer Pressure!
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

I can think of a good reason not to blow up the moon. I remember reading somewhere that the moon keeps the axis of the earth's rotation relatively constant, and that without it it would wobble around a lot more, disrupting all sorts of things.

There is one thing I would like to do on the moon though, suggested by the great Franky Boyle. I would like to write "Yanks fuck off" on it. Try and come up with a scientific reason accepted by your school for that one.

You could argue that, since the moon and the earth are made up of basically the same stuff, the moon probably contains a lot of gold. Would that work as a reason?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:I can think of a good reason not to blow up the moon. I remember reading somewhere that the moon keeps the axis of the earth's rotation relatively constant, and that without it it would wobble around a lot more, disrupting all sorts of things.

That's why you blow up the moon, and replace it with the Deathstar! The Earth's orbit stays relatively stable, and if anybody tries to punish you for blowing up the moon, threaten to blow up the Earth. :wink:
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

Can't fault your logic.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

Because the Earth needs a set of rings far more than it needs a moon. Really, how sweet would rings be?

I know forming rings is a non-trivial exercise, and may not even be possible, but given that you just blew up the moon, it seems you have a pretty good grasp of these things.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:Because the Earth needs a set of rings far more than it needs a moon. Really, how sweet would rings be?

I know forming rings is a non-trivial exercise, and may not even be possible, but given that you just blew up the moon, it seems you have a pretty good grasp of these things.
And if you need a reason to form rings around the earth, I'd say tourism would be a good enough reason.

Why do you think SETI has gotten no response? It's because our planet doesn't have enough flash to attract the curiosity of alien civilizations!
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Return to “Science”