Japanese Science show / Bill Nye amore

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

badwiz

Japanese Science show / Bill Nye amore

Postby badwiz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:51 am UTC

There is a television show that is produced in Japan about science and skepticism. It has some professor who is a leading character. Each episode he debunks some myth presented to him by co-leading characters; he uses physics and experimentation. I have only seen the television show a few times, and I could only watch. Of course, I think it was directed at a young audience, so just watching was enough to understand basically what was going on.
Does anyone know the name of this show? Is the show well received in Japan? I mean is it popular and full of good science? From what I remember, it is mainly for entertainment purposes, but does have some small educational aspects to it. Please tell me what you know about it, and what you think.

No discussion of science education would be complete without a long adoration of Bill Nye. I was lucky I think, in that I had good middle school and highschool science teachers that had actual backgrounds in science. We still watched bill nye though.
What is your favorite episode/clip? If you can find it on youtube post a link, i'd love to watch it.
What is your favorite "____ OF SCIENCE!"?

I love this one about quicksand: QUICKSANDS!!!! Especially at 0:08: WET! LAND!

Kow

Re: Japanese Science show / Bill Nye amore

Postby Kow » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:05 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX97bjXJyms

I love this show. I used to watch it everyday on PBS when I was like 3-4 years old. That and The Magic School bus! Man that show rocked too!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Bill Nye single-handedly taught me half of my basic knowledge on science. The other half was from the magic school bus.

Favorite episode... Must be the one on planets, with the to-scale model of the solar system involving a weather balloon sun and bill on a bike. Gotta find that one again.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

badwiz

Postby badwiz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Favorite episode... Must be the one on planets, with the to-scale model of the solar system involving a weather balloon sun and bill on a bike. Gotta find that one again.

Yea I saw that one when I looked up the other ^_^. Here it is: The Planets

Cave Wizard

Postby Cave Wizard » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Comeon man at least try

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%E5%AD%90%E4%BE%9B ... A%E7%B5%84

jeez louise :roll:

just kidding, maybe you could watch some of those youtube clips and see if any of them are what you were talking about. That's just "children science tv show"

Return to “Science”