An "anti" drug

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

needmoney90

An "anti" drug

Postby needmoney90 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:29 am UTC

I was in my science class (junior year in high school), and I got to wondering: would it be possible to create a drug that puts you through the withdrawals first, and gives you a "high" later? Say, for example, the drug causes an inhibitory reaction to dopamine. The brain releases more dopamine to compensate for the effects, until you stop taking the drug, at which point your brain is flooded with dopamine until it readjusts to normal. Just an interesting idea, I have no idea if it's been thought of already.

MadRocketSci2

Re: An "anti" drug

Postby MadRocketSci2 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Well, there used to be some drug that they gave drunks. I forget what it is called. It basically made them violently ill if they touched alchohol. Not much of a high effect, that I recall - it just sat in your system waiting to react with alchohol. They don't use it anymore.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

I don't think it would work that way. I'm no pharmacist or chemist, of course. But there are already tons of meds (antidepressants) that change the way your body produces or reacts to dopamine and they aren't used in that way.

Also is it just me or does this guy's post count and username seem suspiciously like a spamming precursor to anyone else?
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 am UTC

There are already a ton of dopamine antagonists and none of them induce withdrawl symptoms.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:38 am UTC

MadRocketSci2 wrote:Well, there used to be some drug that they gave drunks. I forget what it is called. It basically made them violently ill if they touched alchohol. Not much of a high effect, that I recall - it just sat in your system waiting to react with alchohol. They don't use it anymore.

Its still used, just not very often.

needmoney90

Postby needmoney90 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:30 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Also is it just me or does this guy's post count and username seem suspiciously like a spamming precursor to anyone else?

sorry about my name, I've been using it for quite a while now. =/ I'm no spammer, I have a forums account here because I love xkcd and the intellectual aspect of the site. I'm actually quite active other places, just not here sadly (yet).

The drug I am asking about is not to prevent drug use, it would be a theoretical chemical that the withdrawal stage would instead be the "high", and the taking of the drug the "withdrawal".

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:25 am UTC

I bet there are many drugs that provide this kind of effect to some extent. However, such a drug would probably also be anti-addictive, in that people would want to stop taking it immediately. Therefore, I think it would be harder to notice this effect.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:41 am UTC

I actually somewhat got this effect from Salvia Divinorum - the trip left me slightly confused and a bit unhappy, but starting about a half hour after and lasting a few days, I felt a strong positive mood change as I integrated the events of my psychonautic journey into my life. Erowid's experience vaults, some other drug forums as well as this site seem to confirm my experience.
The poster above me mentioned that such a drug would be anti-addictive: Salvia does in fact display such a property in most people.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:44 am UTC

MadRocketSci2 wrote:Well, there used to be some drug that they gave drunks. I forget what it is called. It basically made them violently ill if they touched alchohol. Not much of a high effect, that I recall - it just sat in your system waiting to react with alchohol. They don't use it anymore.

Antabuse.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Kow

Postby Kow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

Bobber wrote:I actually somewhat got this effect from Salvia Divinorum - the trip left me slightly confused and a bit unhappy, but starting about a half hour after and lasting a few days, I felt a strong positive mood change as I integrated the events of my psychonautic journey into my life. Erowid's experience vaults, some other drug forums as well as this site seem to confirm my experience.
The poster above me mentioned that such a drug would be anti-addictive: Salvia does in fact display such a property in most people.

That's not really a direct result of the chemicals on your brain a couple days later (as even before the day is up, it's all metabolized). It's more of an applying-what-you-learned type thing.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Bobber wrote:I actually somewhat got this effect from Salvia Divinorum - the trip left me slightly confused and a bit unhappy, but starting about a half hour after and lasting a few days, I felt a strong positive mood change as I integrated the events of my psychonautic journey into my life. Erowid's experience vaults, some other drug forums as well as this site seem to confirm my experience.

While people suffering from withdrawl might be "slightly confused and unhappy" that doesn't mean you experienced withdrawl symptoms. Denying the body a portion of it's normal production of dopamine/any other neurotransmitter would probably not elict the same effect as artifically increasing the production and then reducing it drastically.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

Hmm, you are right. Perhaps OP's "anti"drug really doesn't exist, or just hasn't been found yet.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

In order to simulate withdrawl, the drug would have to artifically create additional receptor sites for transmitter X without actually exposing the patient to prolonged doses of transmitter X. In theory it could be done, but nothing I've heard of does so and would have little practical application other than artifically inducing withdrawl.

Return to “Science”