where to get platinum group metals and rhenium ?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

brötchen

where to get platinum group metals and rhenium ?

Postby brötchen » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

the subjecktline really says it all. do you know where to get those metals ? I'm mainly interested in rhenium and iridium because of their awesome mechanical properties. also : how do trade prices for those metals relate to what i will have to actually pay ? for example this site: http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/rheniumpri ... llars.html says that the price of rhenium is around 5000 bucks per kg ( fricken cheap considering how rear the stuff is) but i wasn't able to find a source with comparable prices jet ( or any source that could deliver more than tiny samples for collectors really) .

Also excuse my bad English ( its not my native language)

nehpest

Re: where to get platinum group metals and rhenium ?

Postby nehpest » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Finally, something I know a teensy bit about!

The best place to get these metals (I will assume you're looking for pure, unmachined ingots) is from industrial suppliers. I know my company sources our platinum and palladium primarily from Johnson Matthey in New York. You may also want to look into mints, as platinum group metals are considered precious.

As for price, that will depend very strongly on the quantity you wish to obtain. Naturally, the best prices happen when you can get bulk rates.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you planning to do with them? You mentioned the mechanical properties; do you mean their structural properties (tensile strength, for example) or are you looking at chemical/electrical properties?

Hope this helps.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:00 am UTC

For a while I thought you wanted to mine them and sell them, and were asking where to dig.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

brötchen

Postby brötchen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

nehpest wrote:If you don't mind my asking, what are you planning to do with them? You mentioned the mechanical properties; do you mean their structural properties (tensile strength, for example) or are you looking at chemical/electrical properties?

what I'm planing to do might sound really stupid considering that rhenium is slightly radioactive. I'm actually planning on making jewelry out of said materials so I will only need rather small quantities. I'm not sure jet what material i should coat the rhenium with to shield the slight radioactivity (the half life of rhenium 187 is about 4*10^10 or about one magnitude larger than that of U238 and the energy of the emitted beta particles is about 0.003 Mev or about 3 orders of magnitude lower than that of the alpha particles emitted by U238 so it should not be all that hard to shield the radiation to an acceptable degree)
nehpest wrote:The best place to get these metals (I will assume you're looking for pure, unmachined ingots) is from industrial suppliers. I know my company sources our platinum and palladium primarily from Johnson Matthey in New York.

do you think Johnson Matthey or other industrial suppliers will even sell me small quantities at all ?

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

If I remember right isn't Iridium also radioactive? In addition, wouldn't its extreme density and weight make it difficult to be jewelry? The thought of a 5 pound bracelet probably isn't an appealing one. Though, wearing a metal normally only found in asteroids or meteorite impacts is intriguing.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

brötchen

Postby brötchen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

Vyn wrote:If I remember right isn't Iridium also radioactive? In addition, wouldn't its extreme density and weight make it difficult to be jewelry? The thought of a 5 pound bracelet probably isn't an appealing one. Though, wearing a metal normally only found in asteroids or meteorite impacts is intriguing.

I think both the naturaly ocuring iridium isotopes are stable. rhenium isn't all that much more dense than gold( ~21(for rhenium)/~22 (for iridium) gramms per cm³ vs ~19 gramms per cm³) so that shouldnt be to much of a problem.
Vyn wrote:Though, wearing a metal normally only found in asteroids or meteorite impacts is intriguing.

thats the point :D

Return to “Science”