at what pressure will water condensate from air

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

brötchen

at what pressure will water condensate from air

Postby brötchen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

given temperature and humidity of the air , how do I calculate how much pressure I would have to apply in order to get the water to condensate ? (assuming that the pressure heating is compensate by an heat exchanger that will keep the outside air and the air inside the pressure vessel at the same temperature). I think condensation will begin when the partial pressure of the water content of the air exceeds the vapor pressure at ambient temperature but I'm far from sure about that.

please excuse my bad English, its not my native language.

sikyon

Re: at what pressure will water condensate from air

Postby sikyon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

I have actually been trying to learn more about pressure from a thermodynamic viewpoint lately, and your question intrigues me. However, I am by no means an expert on this material.

It seems to me, as a guess, that you are right. If you were to simply have a container and you were to compress it, you would get condensate when the partial pressure of the water was greater than the vapor pressure of water.

You, sir, name?

Re: at what pressure will water condensate from air

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

When the relative humidity is near 100%. Which in turn occurs when partial pressure of the water equals the vapor pressure.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “Science”