Recomend me some chemicals to read about on wikipedia

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

rtg928

Recomend me some chemicals to read about on wikipedia

Postby rtg928 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

I am trying to get more interested in chemistry and this seems like a good way

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: Recomend me some chemicals to read about on wikipedia

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

What sort of chemistry are you interested in?

In any case I was just reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrodotoxin
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

Hydrogen fluoride, maybe?

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Octanitrocubane!

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Minchandre wrote:Octanitrocubane!

I was going to say this!

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

I think this would be an excellent time for you to get informed on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. :D
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Cynwulf

Postby Cynwulf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

I'd never seen that dihydrogen monoxide thing before, thanks for sharing that. I should pull that on someone at some point.

I've always found PTFE (teflon) very interesting. Great properties, a colorful history, variety of uses.
L'homme est libre au moment qu'il veut l'être. | Man is free at the instant he wants to be.
- Voltaire

kjsharke

Postby kjsharke » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

Opposites:

== FOOF ==
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... uoride.php

Just because of this:
fluorine starts to dissociate into monoatomic radicals, thereby losing its gentle and forgiving nature.

FOOF doesn't really know variety though, it explodes upon contact with almost anything.

== Isoprene ==
This may be one of the most boring-looking molecules possible, but life does some pretty awesome things with it. For starters, it is the monomer for rubber, but put together a smaller number of units in the right way, and there are a lot of chemicals that make things smell like they do. Why do cloves smell like cloves, coffee like coffee, pine like pine, lemons like lemons? It also is the building block for Vitamin A and K, Cholesterol, THC (marijuana), steroids, some hormones... Look up 'terpenes' and 'terpenoids'. Wikipedia has some information on them, but it seems jumbled and incomplete.

(OK, so coffee smells like coffee due to a lot of chemicals, some of which are terpenoids, and some of which aren't. I honestly don't know what the main constituents are, but that might be interesting too.)

turret

Postby turret » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

The variety of uses of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide are quite interesting
and, of course, http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols.htm is always a fun read
You see here what you want to see. It is rather weird that you would want to see something affirming your seeing what you want to see. You, my friend, are a weird person.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

kjsharke wrote:Opposites:

== FOOF ==
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... uoride.php

Just because of this:
fluorine starts to dissociate into monoatomic radicals, thereby losing its gentle and forgiving nature.

FOOF doesn't really know variety though, it explodes upon contact with almost anything.

== Isoprene ==
This may be one of the most boring-looking molecules possible, but life does some pretty awesome things with it. For starters, it is the monomer for rubber, but put together a smaller number of units in the right way, and there are a lot of chemicals that make things smell like they do. Why do cloves smell like cloves, coffee like coffee, pine like pine, lemons like lemons? It also is the building block for Vitamin A and K, Cholesterol, THC (marijuana), steroids, some hormones... Look up 'terpenes' and 'terpenoids'. Wikipedia has some information on them, but it seems jumbled and incomplete.

(OK, so coffee smells like coffee due to a lot of chemicals, some of which are terpenoids, and some of which aren't. I honestly don't know what the main constituents are, but that might be interesting too.)
Pretty much the entire "Things I Won't Work With" series on In The Pipeline is interesting. So is a good portion of the rest of the blog, actually, but if you're looking to read about some rather interesting chemicals, that's a good series to read.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

companion_cube

Postby companion_cube » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:31 am UTC

Most of these would be more interesting to someone who's into neurochemistry, but here you go.

LSD
Epinephrine
Oxytocin
Dopamine

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:09 am UTC

If you're interested in reading about chemistry, just go and read all of the posts on Derek's blog. Especially the Things I Won't Work With and How Not To Do It posts :)
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:48 am UTC

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... s_time.php

”It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Interactive Civilian

Postby Interactive Civilian » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:What sort of chemistry are you interested in?

In any case I was just reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrodotoxin

Wow. Get off my wavelength. Upon seeing the thread title, this is exactly what I thought to suggest. :)

Ok... so here's a fun one: Nitrogen Tri-iodide.

Explosive chemistry can be pretty interesting, but too in-depth searches for such compounds may get you noticed. ;)
I (x2+y2-1)3-x2y3=0 science.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:26 am UTC

Interactive Civilian wrote:Wow. Get off my wavelength.
This one?
Spoiler:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

Minerva wrote:

If you're interested in reading about chemistry, just go and read all of the posts on Derek's blog. Especially the Things I Won't Work With and How Not To Do It posts :)

From the FOOF article:
But I do note that if you run the structure through SciFinder, it comes out with a most unexpected icon that indicates a commercial supplier. That would be the Hangzhou Sage Chemical Company. They offer it in 100g, 500g, and 1 kilo amounts, which is interesting, because I don't think a kilo of dioxygen difluoride has ever existed. Someone should call them on this - ask for the free shipping, and if they object, tell them Amazon offers it on this item. Serves 'em right. Morons.

Does anyone know what level of diplomatic incident it would cause if one were the prime instigator of a company proceeding to dissolve a reasonably sized city in the process of attempting to fill an order?

Does anyone want to find out?
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

I already tried ordering some from that company- I could not find it on their website

Tass

Postby Tass » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Mr_Rose wrote:Does anyone know what level of diplomatic incident it would cause if one were the prime instigator of a company proceeding to dissolve a reasonably sized city in the process of attempting to fill an order?

A kg is hardly going to do that.

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Perfluorocarbons have some interesting properties, notably you can breathe if you're submersed in them and they have really tiny surface tension.
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Mr_Rose wrote:Does anyone know what level of diplomatic incident it would cause if one were the prime instigator of a company proceeding to dissolve a reasonably sized city in the process of attempting to fill an order?

You could just ask MAL Hungarian Aluminium...
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Ave

Postby Ave » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

If you're morbid like I am, you could read up on chemical warfare, chemical disasters. Interesting stuff, there!

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Well, my personal favorites have always been the cyanides; hydrogen cyanide, potassium cyanide, pretty much everything inside your average apple seed's enzymes. There's also hydrogen peroxide, but that's boring compared to something as flighty and dangerous as a neurotoxin.

cjameshuff

Postby cjameshuff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:09 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicyanoacetylene

A good pair to FOOF.

Okay, no, an absolutely fascinatingly terrifying pair to FOOF. But then, so few things aren't...

The very self-descriptive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubane

Ukamoc

Postby Ukamoc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:54 am UTC

Graphene!
When life gives you lemons, shut up and eat your damn lemons!

Return to “Science”