Video Footage of Walking Molecular Motor

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Video Footage of Walking Molecular Motor

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

No, I'm serious. This isn't a model, this isn't a simulation, this is actual AFM video footage of a molecular motor walking along a filament.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... d-movement

This is awesome. All experiments I know of to even extrapolate how this is occurring are by proxy; motors are affixed to beads, and laser trapped filaments lowered onto them, alteration of the lever arms producing differing crystal structures, cryo-EM tomography averages of thousands of motors, etc.

Nope. Here we have footage of one moving. Pretty ridiculous.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

justaman

Re: Video Footage of Walking Molecular Motor

Postby justaman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

That's some pretty sweet microscopy right there. The technology behind this sort of thing has made huge strides in the past 5 years or so, and is really amazing.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

khanh93

Postby khanh93 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Is there a way to view the video without subscribing to the journal or paying for specific article access?

danreil

Postby danreil » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:31 am UTC

khanh93 wrote:Is there a way to view the video without subscribing to the journal or paying for specific article access?

Any decent university library should have access to Nature. Not sure about public libraries but its worth a shot.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Yeah sorry; I think you need journal access to see it, I should have mentioned that.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

khanh93 wrote:Is there a way to view the video without subscribing to the journal or paying for specific article access?
If you click the "Supplementary information" link, you should get a list of all the videos (you don't need to be logged in to download them).

khanh93

Postby khanh93 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:45 am UTC

Awesome! Thank you dropzone.

Here's the direct link to the pages with the videos, to slightly lessen anybody else's search:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... nformation

Agent_Irons

Postby Agent_Irons » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:15 am UTC

I am legitimately really impressed. I'm going to show this to my bioengineering class, we read the paper where they finally settled the method of locomotion of myosins the other day.

Return to “Science”