Testing survey (test subjects needed!)

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

impiaaa

Testing survey (test subjects needed!)

Postby impiaaa » Fri May 20, 2011 3:52 am UTC

Hi,
I'm doing a project for my AP Statistics class in which I study people's testing behavior. I need at least 15 more subjects in order to make significant conclusions. Please take a few minutes in the name of science (and bettering education!)
http://www.boatcake.net/stats/
Also, please don't cheat.
After you've taken it, you can read what it's really about:
Spoiler:
I'm testing to see how knowing how much time is left will affect one's test score. I will publish my presentation when it's finished. I used released questions from the Algebra I STAR test, here.

Thank you!
Last edited by impiaaa on Thu May 26, 2011 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Testing survey (test subjects needed!)

Postby phlip » Fri May 20, 2011 4:45 am UTC

My initial response (don't read before doing the test):
Spoiler:
I didn't know it was timed, though I suspected it. Regardless, I had to alt-tab away from the test a couple of times for work-related reasons. If I'd seen the timer, I would have instead cancelled the test and done it when I got home, when I'd have no distractions. Just something to consider... I don't know whether that's something you'd want to control for or not, it depends on what you're aiming to measure. But might be worth discussing in your results regardless... "they thought they had time to think about the answer" isn't the only reason they might take longer. And it means the results of this won't be directly comparable to a similar experiment done IRL, which would presumably be comparing distractionless-environment vs distractionless-environment-plus-timer.

The term "opposite number" for the arithmetic inverse isn't one I'd come across before... I'd always heard it as "negation". I suspected from context that that may have been what it meant (given the options about positive and negative numbers in the answers) but I wasn't sure, so I hit "Skip" to be fair. And then checked Wikipedia to confirm that my guess was correct (while still on the clock).

Also, I totally screwed up the 3x+6y=2 question, by misreading it as x+6y=2, and I thought that all of the answers were wrong... and I had a whole line in here about that, but then I realised my mistake (I thought it was a typo, because one of the answers would have been correct if the question was instead x-6y=2). I answered "Skip" to it, though, so I got to the end with no wrong answers (my score was 11-0).
Last edited by phlip on Fri May 20, 2011 5:21 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Interactive Civilian

Postby Interactive Civilian » Fri May 20, 2011 5:04 am UTC

Took the test. Please post your results and analysis when you have them. I'm rather interested to see what you make of things.

Obviously don't read the following if you haven't taken the test, unless you don't intend to participate
Spoiler:
I had no idea the test was timed until it cut me off while I was working out the answer to the 9th question. Still, I'm glad for my own part to know that I managed to do all 8 previous questions in my head and got them all correct. I guess my math hasn't completely left me. ;)

I will be interested to see what the method was. Were all tests given without showing a timer? Some with and some without, assigned randomly? Are you only looking at correctness of timer vs non-timer? Or are you also including or somehow accounting the number of questions answered as well as how many were answered correctly? Basically, I mean how are you calculating score? Number right out of total possible questions? Number right out of answered questions? Will a person who got 2 questions right but only answered 2 questions score higher or lower than a person who got 10 questions right but answered 20 questions? etc.

Anyway, glad to participate and looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :)
I (x2+y2-1)3-x2y3=0 science.

Vaskafdt

Postby Vaskafdt » Fri May 20, 2011 7:04 am UTC

as with the above posters, don't read unless you took the test
Spoiler:
I would have probably done better if I knew it was timed, instead of pausing to browse my facebook feed.
My Art Blog: (Slightly NSFW)

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri May 20, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wow, I felt stupid. I got an answer wrong! This makes me very, very sad. I justify it to myself saying that the last time I did that basic of math was 7 years ago. Still, I'm just bad at algebra! Also, I think I would have done a bit more if I knew the test was timed. I tend to 'get in the zone' when I know I have limited time.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Fri May 20, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Done.

Dicussion:

Spoiler:
Got 10 things correct before running out of time, but I knew it was timed, as I could see the timer. From the above posts it seems like that wasn't the case for everyone. I didn't actually pay attention to the timer however since I didn't know how many questions there were, and just assumed that as long as I didn't get stumped on things I'd have no problem doing things within the time limit.

Mat

Postby Mat » Fri May 20, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Dopefish wrote:Done.

Dicussion:

Spoiler:
Got 10 things correct before running out of time, but I knew it was timed, as I could see the timer. From the above posts it seems like that wasn't the case for everyone. I didn't actually pay attention to the timer however since I didn't know how many questions there were, and just assumed that as long as I didn't get stumped on things I'd have no problem doing things within the time limit.

Me too.
Spoiler:
I did it really slowly and then just guessed at the end as I saw I wouldn't have time to think the question through. The test didn't instruct me to avoid wrong answers. Probably could have done better but I was tired and didn't use a calculator or anything.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri May 20, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Done.
Spoiler:
18-0. I knew it was timed, and that definitely affected how fast I tried to solve the problems.

I had to skip one question (it was about the equivalence of x6x20? with something) because the image was partially covered up by the question mark at the end of the question.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:Done.
Spoiler:
I had to skip one question (it was about the equivalence of x6x20? with something) because the image was partially covered up by the question mark at the end of the question.

Spoiler:
I think it was just x6x2 (it was the only possibility I could see that fit with the possible answers), but I agree the image made me think it was cutting something off too.

I saw the timer, but wasn't sure if it was timed or not, so had a pretty interesting response, I guess (for the purposes of the study). I initially assumed the timer was per-question to stop you just wandering off in the middle of the test, so I took about 90 seconds on the first question, about half that on the second, and by the third I realised I had no idea how many questions there were and about 3 minutes left, so tried to do them as quickly as possible. Ended with 9 right, 1 wrong.

I think the one I got wrong was on the commutative/additive/distributive properties stuff, because I couldn't for the life of me remember what the definitions of the terms were, so I just guessed. I should probably have skipped that one.

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Sat May 21, 2011 6:29 am UTC

Spoiler:
I had no idea this was timed, and looking at other peoples comments, I'm guessing there was a bug with me somewhere along the lines because, well....

Your results
Questions answered correctly: 34
Questions answered incorrectly: 1
Questions unanswered: 0

I have no idea where I went wrong, but I was about to call it a troll and give up just before I was told it was over. (something along the lines of, how many answers will a person make before quitting)
Last edited by Lorenz on Sat May 21, 2011 7:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Sat May 21, 2011 6:34 am UTC

Spoiler:
I finished 10 questions before running out of time. But then, I was fairly distracted - if I'd known it was timed I would have set aside the distractions for a couple of minutes to take the test

impiaaa

Postby impiaaa » Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 am UTC

I've updated the website with my results. Thanks for taking it, and special thanks for all the input! :D

Return to “Science”