Putting on gloves

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Putting on gloves

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

So, now that I'm doing a lot of work in the lab, I've been struggling with my gloves and being quick at getting them on and off (it doesn't help that I have pretty sweaty hands).  When I worked in the pharmacy one of the ladies there showed me that blowing into your gloves helped a bit, and here I've found that my supervisor turns hers inside out (so I guess this would only work for powder free gloves), wraps the glove around the hole a couple of times to trap the air in, and then push in to pop out the fingers, which is working best for me (especially as you don't get your humid breath inside the glove).

So, what weird and wonderful methods do you use?

edited for font
Last edited by Angua on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

qetzal

Re: Putting on gloves

Postby qetzal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

My preferred method is to throw them into the trash and get a new pair. :D

I do have the sweaty hands problem, though, which makes it hard to put on even a new pair right away.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Off topic, and dealt with:
Spoiler:
Off topic, but something strange is going on with your fontage.
Last edited by Yakk on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

Sorry about the font - a combination of being briefly on a computer set to a chinese keyboard (which I changed to chinese-english instead of british english), and then poor resolution of the screen leading to me not noticing it was weird.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Second the 'just grab another pair' thing. In the rare rare rare scenario I'm going to need to put gloves back on, I flip one onto the other, inside out.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

I'm confused - I mean putting on just one pair of gloves - she actually turns them inside out before putting them on the first time round.

As in, get gloves from box
turn inside out
flip round to trap air
push air in so fingers pop out,
put on
use
take off gloves and throw away
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

As in put gloves on, use gloves, throw gloves out.

If I need to take off gloves and put the same pair on (which is rare) I invert one of the gloves, put it on the other, do my things like pushing elevator buttons or typing on a keyboard, and flip it back and put it on again.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

I guess you have an easy time trying to get gloves on. I take forever trying to get them around my hands if I don't open them up somehow, and my supervisor's method seems to be the best so far.
GNU Terry Pratchett

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

My mistake. I thought you were talking about re-using gloves. (My PhD advisor wanted us to do that to save $.)

If it's hard for you to put on even a new pair, you should consider either a larger size or a different brand - perhaps one with powder? Even for powder-free gloves, I find that different brands can be easier or harder to put on, wear, etc. Chances are whoever you buy gloves from can give you free samples of at least 3-4 other brands.

You could also dry your hands thorougly and then sprinkle on a very light layer of talcum powder. Same result as using powdered gloves.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

A larger size (medium) leaves me with too much space on my fingers, making it hard to open sterile pipette packets. Also, my method is working pretty well for now :)
GNU Terry Pratchett

iop

Postby iop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 am UTC

I second checking different brands. We intermittently switched to another brand, where I snapped every other glove because my hands got stuck - and I don't have the patience to do magic to the gloves before putting them on. I'm glad it turned out that the other brand was not twice as cheap, so we switched back.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:44 am UTC

are they Latex or Nitrile?
i never liked putting on powered latex gloves, which they used in my first lab job, but since most places use nitrile powder free gloves now, due to latex allergy scares and powder contamination etc, they are much easier to put on, even mediums which are too tight for me slip on really easily

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

They are nitrile.

My hands just get really, really sticky :P
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:48 am UTC

I blow in gloves before putting them on. Due to cost concerns about gloves we're encouraged to reuse them so I invert them, then when I need them again I put re-invert and blow them up. (If I'm feeling fancy and am in the right lab maybe I'll use the nitrogen blower...)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 am UTC

Maybe keep some baby powder or cornstarch on hand to dust onto your palms before adding gloves? Take pinch of powder, rub all over hands, clap off excess, and enjoy instant very-short-term dryness.

I've never actually tried that with gloves, though, so ymmv.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:01 am UTC

I get pretty sweaty palms doing certain things too, like working near flames or in incubators. Powder gloves help, and wiping your hands down might too. If that fails, try spritzing your hands with ethanol and waving them around. But blowing into gloves just made them damp, and I've never really been in a situation where I had to wear the same gloves for extended periods of time and had to remove them frequently.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I blow in gloves before putting them on. Due to cost concerns about gloves we're encouraged to reuse them so I invert them, then when I need them again I put re-invert and blow them up. (If I'm feeling fancy and am in the right lab maybe I'll use the nitrogen blower...)

we are encouraged to reuse ours for cost reason, but also encouraged to not reuse them for GLP reason lol!

i think the best way might be to wash and dry them every time before putting on the gloves, or try using that self drying alcohol hand sanitizer stuff that a lot of labs have to dry your hands quickly, (edit: just noticed izzawl suggested similar idea)
i've never had a sweaty palm issue because i work around loads of laminar flow cabinets that keep a good cool airflow going,

iop

Postby iop » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Due to cost concerns about gloves we're encouraged to reuse them

How much money can you save by reusing gloves? $25 per month, if you re-use them a lot (i.e. if you manage to not buy two boxes of gloves every month)? I don't see how that is making any difference compared to what you spend on other reagents.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

iop wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Due to cost concerns about gloves we're encouraged to reuse them

How much money can you save by reusing gloves? $25 per month, if you re-use them a lot (i.e. if you manage to not buy two boxes of gloves every month)? I don't see how that is making any difference compared to what you spend on other reagents.

i suppose it depends on what reagents are being used, and how quickly.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

I'd be more concerned about someone being an idiot and when going to reuse gloves, end up with their skin in contact with the already contaminated exterior of the glove when doing all those inversions. I'm sure gloves are a tiny expense compared to medical bills.

Of course, most of my chem lab experience was in undergraduate courses where there's like 40+ potential idiots so they stressed safety a bit more. Things did seem a bit more lax when I did a chem research project (so only a couple people in the lab at once), so I suppose trading off to-the-letter safety protocol to cut a few costs is fair enough if you're dealing with people you can have faith won't be idiots.

Anyway in terms of putting on gloves, rinsing my hands and thoroughly drying them beforehand seems to work fine. Things might get a bit gross by the time it comes to take them off, but that part is easy, especially if you don't need to try to reuse them.

iop

Postby iop » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

Dopefish wrote:I'd be more concerned about someone being an idiot and when going to reuse gloves, end up with their skin in contact with the already contaminated exterior of the glove when doing all those inversions. I'm sure gloves are a tiny expense compared to medical bills.

I'm usually more concerned with contaminating my cells (which, incidentally, will cost a lot more than a box of saved gloves) than with contaminating myself. But it comes out to the same thing. "When in doubt, throw it out" should also apply to previously-worn gloves, and you should always doubt their sterility.

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

iop wrote:

Ruined experiments, wasted time, and exposing workers to dangerous materials is a lot more expensive. We pay about $0.10 per glove. Even if I routinely used 12 pairs of gloves during a full day's lab work (I wouldn't normally use that many), and even if I could reuse each glove 4 times (I doubt that's realistic), I would only save $1.80/day, or $423/year.

Just one contaminated experiment or one case of worker exposure per year due to glove reuse would likely be much more costly.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

qetzal wrote:
iop wrote:

Ruined experiments, wasted time, and exposing workers to dangerous materials is a lot more expensive. We pay about $0.10 per glove. Even if I routinely used 12 pairs of gloves during a full day's lab work (I wouldn't normally use that many), and even if I could reuse each glove 4 times (I doubt that's realistic), I would only save $1.80/day, or $423/year.

Just one contaminated experiment or one case of worker exposure per year due to glove reuse would likely be much more costly.

well it also depends on what kind of lab Angua is working in, but i see your point.
also i generally use one pair of gloves a day, and depending on workload, i would possibly wear that pair of gloves 12 or more times. (a smaller workload could mean less instances of gloves on/off, a higher workload could reduce the point of taking gloves off so regularly)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

I haven't been told to reuse gloves yet, so I'm going for the use new ones approach. I'm an undergraduate doing a dissertation project in a proper lab (ie has post docs and PhD students mainly) so my supervisor is I think more worried about me hurting myself than she would otherwise be for other people in the lab.

Washing hands and drying htem sounds like a good idea.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

You can always flame dry the ethanol off.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 am UTC

We don't have any flames.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 am UTC

Angua wrote:We don't have any flames.

pretty sure he was joking, :|

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

Er, I was. Flame drying your hands? Angua, you fail lab safety. Pipette 10x 500 microliter 100% glycerol MCTs and recite the periodic table through Nitrogen!

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:42 am UTC

I work at the UC Berkeley Nanolab, and they have a solution. They have a hand blow dryer in the gowning room.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

C4 Redalert

Postby C4 Redalert » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:09 am UTC

At work I remember some employees (and myself occasionally) put on disposable cotton gloves (socks for your hands?) first then add the latex gloves over them. The latex won't stick to the cotton and the only down side is that all the sweat will make the cotton gloves smell after some time. Given this was dealing with Haz-Mat in a production setting, not a lab.

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:43 am UTC

One issue with that is that 1. the handsocks might make it harder to quickly wash off toxic chemicals that penetrate glove holes and 2. they might make it harder to notice liquids penetrating glove holes. Still a pretty cool idea though.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

C4 Redalert

Postby C4 Redalert » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

ikrase wrote:One issue with that is that 1. the handsocks might make it harder to quickly wash off toxic chemicals that penetrate glove holes and 2. they might make it harder to notice liquids penetrating glove holes. Still a pretty cool idea though.

Agreed on your second point. The cotton glove would only take a second or so extra to take off so I'm not convinced your first point would be significant, but I could see the cotton potentially absorbing more and spreading a particularly lively chemical around in your glove faster. Plus the extra bacterial growth could cause some problems in a biolab.

This was something people did in a carbon composite parts manufacturing plant where I did a co-op rotation. The gloves kept the resin from stock fiber off your hands. The resin dries out skin and ingestion would make you sick. So it's not like if some got on you, you would need to take a chemical shower, just exposure over a day would cause irritation. (Last, putting the resin as a topping on your pizza is ill advised)

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Do you have short fingers compared to your palm size? Hands are as varied as feet and gloves tend to be one-proportion-fits all. Maybe go for the smaller size and stretch the palms sideways before putting em on.

Return to “Science”