Physics for beginners?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Toadise

Physics for beginners?

Postby Toadise » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 am UTC

I am looking for some introductory resources for beginners in physics. I would prefer to stay away from textbooks. I'm not necessarily interested in taking notes/studying the text. I just want something that I can read/view to get a general understanding, and then launch my focuses on physics from there.

Thanks. :D

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Re: Physics for beginners?

Postby Qaanol » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Khan Academy has good, accessible videos on lots of topics. Each video is fairly short and focuses on a single concept.
wee free kings

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:32 am UTC

My favorite resource is hyperphysics. It's sort of like browsing through wikipedia, but with demonstrations of all the math.
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

Sagekilla

Postby Sagekilla » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:06 am UTC

Hyperphysics is immensely awesome. It's amazing how many topics it touches upon in a good amount of detail.

It can get a bit overwhelming though with how it links everything together.

Definitely recommend it though if you wanna see diagrammatically how all the pieces relate to each other
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin#Sinking wrote:Researchers found a cheese sandwich which exhibited no visible signs of decomposition, and was in fact eaten.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:23 am UTC

If you're okay with physics without math, there's a Berkeley course called Physics for Future Presidents that you might want to check out. The professor is a physicist, so I assume the physics he teaches is correct, but I know he makes several mistakes in the jet/rocket lecture.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:48 am UTC

You'll probably enjoy this resource. It's a video series covering freshman physics, with about a third lecture, a third CGI illustrating the concepts, and a third live action historical reenactments of the scientists involved. It's really well done, and the graphics are remarkably good for the mid 80's. It was produced by Caltech, and it's hard to go wrong with them when physics is involved!
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Adam Preston
WINNING

Postby Adam Preston » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

After just browsing Hyperphysics for several seconds I can tell you it looks like an amazing library of resources.
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

Toadise

Postby Toadise » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

thoughtfully wrote:You'll probably enjoy this resource. It's a video series covering freshman physics, with about a third lecture, a third CGI illustrating the concepts, and a third live action historical reenactments of the scientists involved. It's really well done, and the graphics are remarkably good for the mid 80's. It was produced by Caltech, and it's hard to go wrong with them when physics is involved!

This resource is excellent, I've already watched the first video. Do you know of any books to read as well?

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

I believe there was an accompanying text, but it may be out of print. You might get lucky and find one used, but new it'd be your typical stupidly expensive college textbook price. Just search amazon or whatever for "mechanical universe". Any freshman text would do, Halliday and Resnik is popular, and it shouldn't be hard to find used copies of older editions cheap. There are threads on this topic, go forth and search, young person!
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “Science”