What textbooks would you recommend in the following courses?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Re: What textbooks would you recommend in the following cour

Postby doogly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:46 am UTC

Purcell is better written but still only at a freshman level, so in that sense it isn't comparable to Griffiths.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

soggybomb

Postby soggybomb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:02 am UTC

To be honest, I haven't spent much time with Purcell's text, it was just that my instructor referred to a couple proofs in there that I looked up, and it seemed fine. But, now that I think about it, that was at the very beginning of the semester, and he stopped doing that once we got to more advanced material. But I still do like Griffiths' QM book. It saved my ass on a few homework problems that were set by the professor.

masher

Postby masher » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Dopefish wrote:
Electrodynamics
Quantum Physics

Griffiths for electro as mentioned, but I prefered Townsends book "A modern approach to Quantum Mechanics" for quantum, although I've read both. Griffiths might be more approachable at first as it stays away from bra ket notation for awhile, but Townsend dives right in with them and I feel like it builds a stronger foundation then griffiths does in the long run.

I liked Townsend, especially the first chapter. I actually read that book from cover to cover for enjoyment!

Return to “Science”