Favorite home experiments

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Re: Favorite home experiments

Postby hyperion » Tue May 27, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

oxoiron wrote:The gas produced during the reaction builds up pressure until the bottle explodes.

Does it get hot enough to ignite the hydrogen or is it just pressure?
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue May 27, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Just the pressure...I think.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

drumbum99

Postby drumbum99 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

That sounds like fun. Ill have to try that and not die, thanks =)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

oxoiron wrote:
drumbum99 wrote:Does anyone have a home experiment that makes a bang. Also that is a gom eexperiemtn so you can get ahold of the stuff easily and it is not illegal =P
I won't vouch for the legality in your neighborhood, but the reagents for this are readily available and it will go 'bang'!

THIS IS DANGEROUS, SO DON'T KILL YOURSELF!

The gas produced during the reaction builds up pressure until the bottle explodes.

Wow, that's ridiculously easy to do.
This produces hydrogen does it?
I can see myself doing this.
Ⓞⓞ◯

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri May 30, 2008 2:09 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
oxoiron wrote:
drumbum99 wrote:Does anyone have a home experiment that makes a bang. Also that is a gom eexperiemtn so you can get ahold of the stuff easily and it is not illegal =P
I won't vouch for the legality in your neighborhood, but the reagents for this are readily available and it will go 'bang'!

THIS IS DANGEROUS, SO DON'T KILL YOURSELF!

The gas produced during the reaction builds up pressure until the bottle explodes.

Wow, that's ridiculously easy to do.
This produces hydrogen does it?
I can see myself doing this.

How much hydrogen, exactly? This would make a great substitute for a grenade. Flying shards everywhere!
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Fri May 30, 2008 4:10 am UTC

It depends how much aluminum and acid you use.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Make sure you're far enough away to dodge any of that acid!

kandalf

Postby kandalf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:20 am UTC

Yeah that Aluminum Chloride will burn. Same thing also works with aluminum and draino (sodium hydroxide).

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

i made me a batch of the super-saturated sodium acetate and put it in a bag with a metal popper I cut out. Now to boil it and see if it works (or if it needs more/less water).

Does anyone know of a reaction that can take place at or near one's fingertips without producing or using dangerous chemicals, but which produces around 110-120°F heat?

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

quintopia wrote:i made me a batch of the super-saturated sodium acetate and put it in a bag with a metal popper I cut out. Now to boil it and see if it works (or if it needs more/less water).

Does anyone know of a reaction that can take place at or near one's fingertips without producing or using dangerous chemicals, but which produces around 110-120°F heat?

Umm, the one you just described using?
Supersaturated liquid sodium acetate -> Crystals

And I still can't think of a good bag for the batch I made :(
ave matthew, je m'appelle matthew, mi nomas matthew, me llamo matthew, I'm matthew.

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAPTORATTACK!!!

Re: "burn" your hand

Postby RAPTORATTACK!!! » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Razer4229 wrote:Yeah, I've done that too- It's really annoying how you don't feel the acid until it really starts to burn your skin.

That happened before? I had a friend who had "acid"* on his skin, and it was a bit hot. When he washed it off there was a black mark.

*No, I don't think it was acid, but he said so.

silver nitrate does that. I got HCl on my gloves once and they started smoking. It was... surprising.
Team 246 OVERCLOCKED!

pi(e)lover

Re:

Postby pi(e)lover » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

Fuller wrote:Exploding Paste (ass seen on UK tv show Brainiac:)

First of all, you need only two ingredients: Iodine crystals and Ammonium Hydroxide [...] Bang!

My A-level maths teacher described this process to our group once. Apparently when he was at school he used to squidge the paste into chalk-shaped pieces before it dried then randomly leave it next to blackboards and wait for the exploding hilarity to ensue. Once he finished telling us, he realised we were all *exactly* the sort of people who would immediately try this, and he spent the rest of the lesson getting more and more desperate, warning/begging us not to do it

TaintedDeity

Re: Re:

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

pi(e)lover wrote:

First of all, you need only two ingredients: Iodine crystals and Ammonium Hydroxide [...] Bang!

My A-level maths teacher described this process to our group once. Apparently when he was at school he used to squidge the paste into chalk-shaped pieces before it dried then randomly leave it next to blackboards and wait for the exploding hilarity to ensue. Once he finished telling us, he realised we were all *exactly* the sort of people who would immediately try this, and he spent the rest of the lesson getting more and more desperate, warning/begging us not to do it

Did any of you try it?
I imagine that could be rather painful if too strong.
Ⓞⓞ◯

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

I actually can't imagine how it was placed on the chalkboard without exploding in the first place. Unless it was still wet, and dried there.

Teppic

Postby Teppic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

If you can find a cheap usb monochromating spectrometer (100 pounds on ebay) you can study colour centres in salt. Since you can get accurate predictions from particle in a well wave equations its fun to show your kids the weird world of quantum. Which the british school system will not.

Alright its not very interesting, and I did my undergrad dissertation on it, but you can do it at home.

steelmole

Postby steelmole » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Here's a few cool experiments/demonstrations you can do with a bike wheel and perhaps a little modification.

Number 1:
Attach some sort of handles to either side of the bike wheel, but make sure it can still spin freely. Get a friend to sit on a swiveling chair and hold the wheel. Spin the wheel in the vertical direction. Now when your friend tilts it horizontally one way they turn in one direction, when they flip it over they turn the other one.

Number 2:
Get your bike wheel and tie a string to one side. Again spin it up in the vertical direction, hold the side without the string attached to keep it steady. Now when the wheel is suspended by the string it will stay vertical and rotate. Most people have seen gyroscopes but it justs seems more amazing when an everyday bike wheel is used. Feel free to pretend you have magic powers.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

I do have magic powers.

steelmole

Postby steelmole » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

oxoiron wrote:I do have magic powers.

I hope this was confirmed by a reliable source such as a horoscope.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

ave_matthew wrote:Umm, the one you just described using?

Uh, no. You have to have that one in a bag. And it's impossible to have a bag small enough to be at your fingertips. I'm talking about putting the chemicals directly on your hands. No ideas?

Is there a way to produce heat at the fingertips electrically?

Mother Nature's Son

Postby Mother Nature's Son » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:21 am UTC

This one's a bit tricky, but uses only objects I found lying around the house, as per the topic.Electrolysis has already been covered at least once that I've seen in this thread, but after doing multiple experiments with it, I found a way to maximize the effects.

The basic idea of electrolysis is using an electric current to break apart the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in water so that you get either hydrogen gas or, even more explosively, a perfect fuel-air mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. You can do this easily using (as noted at least once before in this thread) paper clips for electrodes and a battery.
In an attempt to scale the experiment up, my friends and I decided to use copper tubing and a much larger battery used to charge cars. we used excess plumbing parts and a mason jar to build a rig that would maximize the surface area of the electrodes while preventing arcing.
This worked well, because copper is a much better conductor than whatever alloy is used in your average paper clip, but production sloped off quickly. This is because, with pure oxygen condensing on the anode (if memory serves) it corrodes quite quickly. The water in the jar became a seething, roiling soup of chlorine, cupric oxide and saltwater. Also, even with the large volumes we were working with, we couldn't manage to sustain a flame. After considering the experiment for a while, I came up with some improvements which have been tested and work very well.
First, electrolytes increase the effectiveness of the experiment drastically. I'm sure there's a cutoff point at which adding more salt ceases to make it more effective, but I haven't found it. At one point we made a slush of water and salt, and when we placed a pair of low-gauge copper wires in it as electrodes, it let off a massive gout of smoke and boiled the plastic insulation off of the wires. Obviously this was beyond the optimum conductivity levels.
After much consideration, I decided that to prevent corrosion, graphite was the best choice for electrodes. I experimented briefly with pencil lead, but it has a high percentage of resin and doesn't work too well. To obtain pure carbon electrodes, you can dismantle a carbon/zinc battery, preferably a D-Cell for the size. This isn't dangerous, as it would be with an Alkaline battery, so make sure you've got the right kind first. I used shrink tubing to give it a watertight seal when connected to the copper wire I was using. I suppose you could use gold-plated copper to prevent corrosion, but I think the carbon is cheaper.
Next, to prevent the batteries from draining, I replaced them with an AC converter, also used for charging car batteries.
Third, I turned my attention to the problem of sustaining a flame. Since the carbon electrodes I had were much smaller than the large copper ones we'd been using, it was obvious that I wouldn't get enough hydrogen that way. Instead, I decided to collect it. This I did by getting a cooking syringe, the type for injecting moisture into chicken, and removed the plunger, then capped the nozzle with melted wax. I upended it under the water in my saline solution tank (A coffee can) and then, with all the air gone, placed it over the cathode. It was impressive how short a time it took to fill up with hydrogen, and once it had, I replaced the plunger, still under the water line so that no oxygen could get in. By using a candle to melt the wax off of the nozzle and then depressing the plunger, I was able to produce a seven inch gout of orange flame from the tip of the syringe.

One thing to consider is that this experiment produces amazing amounts of chlorine gas as well as hydrogen and oxygen. It was enough to make me feel slightly ill at one point, and I would definitely recommend doing this outside.
Cave et audi.

krikke

Postby krikke » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Mother Nature's Son wrote:One thing to consider is that this experiment produces amazing amounts of chlorine gas as well as hydrogen and oxygen. It was enough to make me feel slightly ill at one point, and I would definitely recommend doing this outside.

if it produces chlorine gas(from the salt you added), it must have produced sodium metal somewhere (wich would sponatneously form Na2O and hydrogen in water)?
weird, i thought this was only possible by elektrolysis with molten NaCl

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

krikke wrote:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:One thing to consider is that this experiment produces amazing amounts of chlorine gas as well as hydrogen and oxygen. It was enough to make me feel slightly ill at one point, and I would definitely recommend doing this outside.

if it produces chlorine gas(from the salt you added), it must have produced sodium metal somewhere (wich would sponatneously form Na2O and hydrogen in water)?

It produces Na, which forms NaOH and H2. If the Cl2 reacts with water you can get NaClO.

This is a nifty experiment which can be done at home. You extract acetylsalicylic acid from aspirin, then hydrolize it to acetic acid and salicylic acid with HCl.
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:02 am UTC

LavaLampMaster wrote:And on that note, I was talking to my Chem AP teacher about the mustard gas so she and I tried to figure out how mustard gas was made en-masse in the Great War. We got about as far figuring out that the cheapest and most effective, and therefore most likely process, for making it is by reacting sulfur dichloride and etylene

excuse the terrible look of this equation; I'm too tired to figure out how to do subscripts in BBCode
SCl2 + C2H4 <-> (CH2CH2Cl)2S
Via, at least what the Merck manual calls the "Levinstein process." I don't know what it is, but I'm guessing there's catalyzation in a high pressure system at work there.

That would certainly do the trick - but it's usually made via the chlorination of thiodiglycol with HCl or phosphorus trichloride.

bmorrow492 wrote:by Bugs on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 pm UTC
"Do you know what sulphur hexaflouride is commonly used for?"

SF4 is used in distribution transformers (the garbage can-looking things on power poles) as an insulator.

If you know people that work in laboratories, you might want to ask anybody who works around high voltage particle accelerator power supplies such as Van deGraff generators and Pelletrons - they're usually filled with the stuff - , or anybody who works with CVD or semiconductor materials work or anything like that.

pi(e)lover wrote:

Personally, that crap [Brainiac] doesn't deserve to be even mentioned in the science forum. If it were any less science, it would be hosted by Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.

NI3.NH3 (nitrogen triiodide, which in practice is almost always complexed with ammonia) really isn't that dangerous, because you just can't get enough of it in the one place without it exploding for it to create a really destructively powerful explosion - it will explode under its own weight. So, it's really not that dangerous.

It's probably nigh on impossible to make at home anyway, since elemental I2 is closely watched or restricted since it's used as a methylamphetamine precursor.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Mother Nature's Son

Postby Mother Nature's Son » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:16 am UTC

krikke wrote:

Indeed. I often wondered where the Na went, and I was likewise surprised that the salt was even effected by the electrolysis, but chlorine is rather a hard smell to mistake, and it was in abundance. I also know that one way to mass-produce hydrogen is to combine sodium and water. This just makes things more interesting.
Cave et audi.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:01 am UTC

Minerva wrote:It's probably nigh on impossible to make at home anyway, since elemental I2 is closely watched or restricted since it's used as a methylamphetamine precursor.

How is it used in meth synthesis? The structure has no iodine in it.

Also, isnt iodine tincture easily available in any pharmacy? It should be a fairly simple matter to boil off some alcohol and crystalize the iodine.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Minerva wrote:It's probably nigh on impossible to make at home anyway, since elemental I2 is closely watched or restricted since it's used as a methylamphetamine precursor.

How is it used in meth synthesis? The structure has no iodine in it.

Also, isnt iodine tincture easily available in any pharmacy? It should be a fairly simple matter to boil off some alcohol and crystalize the iodine.

I might be wrong here, it's not exactly something I have practical experience with :|

I think hydroiodic acid is formed in situ, which acts as a mild reducing agent, in such an organic reduction.

3 I2 + 2 P + 6 H2O → 2 PI3 + 6 H2O → 6 HI + 2 H3PO3
2 HI + R-CH(OH)-R' → R-CH2-R' + I2 + H2O

So, basically, I2 is just a catalyst.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:17 am UTC

I remember seeing that it was a catalyst also. I think the NaOH is as well, but that could be a OH- source as well.
ave matthew, je m'appelle matthew, mi nomas matthew, me llamo matthew, I'm matthew.

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:43 am UTC

NaOH is used, just as in any other organic synthesis, just for general workup, and preparation of the precursors and stuff. For example, converting the psuedoephedrine hydrochloride back to free psuedoephedrine.

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Minerva wrote:NaOH is used, just as in any other organic synthesis, just for general workup, and preparation of the precursors and stuff. For example, converting the psuedoephedrine hydrochloride back to free psuedoephedrine.

Ah,ok.

cooldude76
Location: North Side of Chicago, Illinios, United States, North America, The Western Hemisphere, Earth,

Postby cooldude76 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

I read the first page and immediately tried the Non-Newtonian liquid, which I failed at because I added way to much water, and the Pressure in the cup makes the water rise experiment. The second one impressed my family quite a lot, oohs and aahs and whatnot. I played with it a few times and because I used wax for the base I had an idea. I wondered what would happen if you raised the match higher. In my brief non-rigorous experiments it had less effect at a higher altitude. Yeay science!
"... And How are Things in the Hallway..."
-- A Clockwork Orange.

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:30 am UTC

Hey, I got one! Get a bunch of paper, and staple it all together. 5-10 minutes. Voila! You've got a box!

What?! There was a lot of used paper. What was I supposed to do with it? Recycle it? Phff! What are you, nuts?

On the other hand, where does one go to get chemicals anyhu? I haven't done much home stuff because the stuff I get is from my teacher, where I'd give him a few bucks for some of the stuff at school. And everytime I ask him, he starts but then drifts off somewhere, bleh bleh bleh, as if he doesn't want me to get them myself. For whatever reason.

I'm sorry if you think me stupid for such a question, but if you got a problem, I'll gladly kick your ass in Team Fortress 2. Or get you a box of chocolate. Your choice.
~Sun Tzu

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

You might be surprised how many chemicals are available in a typical hardware store, for some purpose or other, or even a grocery store for that matter. Failing that, all but the most dangerous chemicals can easily be ordered online.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 am UTC

ManaUser wrote:You might be surprised how many chemicals are available in a typical hardware store, for some purpose or other, or even a grocery store for that matter. Failing that, all but the most dangerous chemicals can easily be ordered online.

True and the whole point of this thread is to use things that are commonly available or at least easily attainable, right?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

Say, Ace Hardware?

Grocery stores I'm not so sure, never seen any that have these kind of things. Wouldn't people rather keep chemicals away from their food?
~Sun Tzu

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

I used to buy saltpeter at the grocery store when I was a kid. A lot of food chemicals are great for experiments.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Tums and water produces 100 degrees Fahrenheit if i'm correct (CaC + H20?)
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

GCM wrote:Say, Ace Hardware?

Indeed. Hardware stores have a good selection of solvents in particular. Some acids too.

GCM wrote:Grocery stores I'm not so sure, never seen any that have these kind of things. Wouldn't people rather keep chemicals away from their food?

Believe it or not, people put chemicals in their food. Chemicals like sodium bicarmonate, sodium chloride, acetic acid. (Let's ignore the fact the food is made out of chemicals to start with.) Then there's hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol, in pharmacy section. And sodium hypochlorite, ammonium hydroxide, in the household cleaners section. You might find too ammonium nitrate and sodium hydroxide too if you're reasonably lucky.

All of those have potential for home experiments, I'm sure someone could think of alot more.

krikke

Postby krikke » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

ManaUser wrote:You might find too ammonium nitrate

I doubt that :shock:.
Or not in pure form atleast , it's notorious for its use in homemade explosives.
If you buy a reasonably big amount i'm pretty sure you'll end up on some sort of "suspected extremist terrorist"-list.
(like anyone who's into some home experimenting these days, d*mn governement and their fearmongering :( )

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Well you wouldn't find it in a bottle labeled "ammonium nitrate", but you might find it in a little bag, along with a smaller bag of water, in a box labeled "instant cold packs". Of course this would be a very inefficient way to get enough for a bomb, which is probably for the best.

That's the trick to buying chemicals without going to a specialty store. You just need to know something common they're used for.

mediocre person

Postby mediocre person » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Ok, I diden't read any of the above, so pardon if these are repeated but...
first, get some dry ice, 2 liter soda(empty), and some magnesium
you should be salivating at this point.
ok, make a chunk of dry ice that can hold magnesium (think jack-o-lantern)
be in a place that wont burn down. dont make it too bigmake it huuuuuge manin the dark is better.
light magnesium. it should burn w/ the dry ice and generaly make flaming awsome.
DO NOT EXTINGUISH W/ water!!!
use dirt etc.
also, learn how to do this from someone smarter than me. honestly. dont do this soley on my directions. wikipedia or summin man.

then, take the litter bottle, put 2 parts dry ice 1 part water(or summin like that)
replace cap, run.
it can take a while to go off, so DONT go to check it.
this thing will set off car alarms for a block man.
also, dont do this.
imagine doing it.
this is the reason you cant buy dry ice easily any more!
(try using one of those little aqua-pods for less destruction)
My avatar took 15 minutes to make on ms paint. Then like 4 days fishing out my brother with one of those dinosaur jaw grips from carnivals after he was sucked into the enless pixelated void.
ATEMPTED WIT!

Return to “Science”