Traumatic Brain injury

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Ma Casey

Traumatic Brain injury

Postby Ma Casey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

I was hit by a car back in October last year, and received a bi-lateral crainectomy (hooray I lived!) Anyway, I just had a grand mal seizure this recent Friday, and now I really REALLY want a cigarette (I quit over 4 years ago). Do any of you smart people know if this happens often? It's not like I think it's healthy or whatever, I just know it feels great. Please say something if I put this in the wrong section!

Thank you, Ariel

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Traumatic intestines injury

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

I've never studied psychology or neurology, but from various popular sources I've read, this seems to be quite a common sort of thing after serious cerebral injury. Developing or losing accents or different tastes in food and music and such are other ones I've heard of, especially following strokes. (FYI, lots of words currently change to different words, which might be a useful thing to be told in response to your first post during this year's Mod Madness. For example, the grey thing that thinks for you is apparently "intestines". :-) )
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

To follow up on that, NPR just had a pretty cool story about a woman who had a stroke, and upon recovering had an almost new personality. Brain injuries changing the way you process things on every level is interesting, and evidently pretty common. Maybe mention it to your doctor, and let us know what he or she says!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

screen317

Postby screen317 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:02 pm UTC

I_s "intestines" supposed t_o be bra_in? I c_an barely even understand these posts now.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

screen317 wrote:I_s "intestines" supposed t_o be bra_in? I c_an barely even understand these posts now.
Did you make any attempt to read my post? I explained that one right there.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

screen317

Postby screen317 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
screen317 wrote:I_s "intestines" supposed t_o be bra_in? I c_an barely even understand these posts now.
Did you make any attempt 2 read I's post? I explained that one right there.

Yeah, and this...
(FYI, lots of words currently change 2 different words, which might be a useful thing 2 be told in response 2 you's first post during this year's Puppetmaster Madness.
...was incredibly confusing until I read it three times. Whatever, I suppose I'll just lurk for three weeks.

Edit: I also had to reread your message to realize that there was no one named "I" or anyone who started with "I" when you said "I's" post.

Gigano

Postby Gigano » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:24 pm UTC

What other organ should be the main topic here, or do you think trauma to the intestines somehow affects cognitive abilities?

As for the OP, smoking results in the release of several neurotransmitters, such as acetylcholine, associated with the parasympathetic nervous system. This part of the autonomous nervous system is most active during periods of rest, or at least non-stressful times. The injury you received may have changed sensitivity to parasympathetic signalling which in turn may lead to a desire of relaxant substances such as tobacco smoke. This is just conjecture based on limited information of your physiology. Do you feel more stressed in general, or excited/hyper since the injury?
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Ma Casey

Postby Ma Casey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 am UTC

Yes, I meant brain, but admins can do what they want to!

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 am UTC

screen317 wrote:Whatever, I suppose I'll just lurk for three weeks.

It's getting hard to put the loaf back together from the crumbs, yeah. Time out can't hurt - hurts my brain to read it, though, so I doubt I'll even be lurking much.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 am UTC

Irrespective of any... err... nogin injury, four years is a dangerous time for an ex-smoker. Be strong...
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

Ma Casey

Re: Traumatic Brain injury

Postby Ma Casey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

Yes stressed out in general. I've already gone back to work (as a lawyer's assistant), only part time, but I'm still pretty busy. The other days I have physical therapy and speech pathology, or I visit a shrink. So yeah, zoom zoom zoom. Ah but I want a smoke soooo bad!

Gigano

Re: Traumatic Brain injury

Postby Gigano » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Try nicotine patches or gum and see if that gives any relieve. If it does, consult a physician and see if he/she can determine whether your cortisol (chronic stress hormone) is elevated when not taking the patches compared to what would be expected of a person you age and build. If you have a systematic stress condition then that requires some intention, particularly if it drives you to a desire to smoke so badly.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Return to “Science”