A question about plexiglass load bearing capacity.

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Aelfyre

A question about plexiglass load bearing capacity.

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Can anyone tell me how thick a 10' x 10' sheet of plexiglass would need to be to support a 1' deep pool?

I have a project in mind and this in one piece of it. It will be a 10' x 10' sheet with 1' or water sitting on top of it. I have no official education, just a knack for math + google but as I see it. 1' cube of water weighs 62.5 pounds so a 10' x' 10' x 1' pool should weigh in at 6250 lbs which sound like alot but since that is going to be 14400"² so that should only be .43 psi unless I am being stupid somehow.
It is worth noting that this is the only weight the plexiglass would need to support, nothing will ever be placed in the pool so it will just be the water.

EDIT: So far the biggest piece of plexi i can find is 48" x 96" so I think it would be more practical to make it 8' x 8' and just place two of them side by side.
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

oxoiron

Re: A question about plexiglass load bearing capacity.

Postby oxoiron » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

Are you planning on supporting only the edges of the pool? Are you using actual PlexiglasTM or another form of PMMA or perhaps even something altogether different (e.g. polycarbonate)? How much sag in the middle is acceptable?

Also, regarding your two sheet plan: How do you plan to join the sheets? Once you put a seam down the middle of your PlexiglasTM, you will have potentially changed it's mechanical properties.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Aelfyre

Re: A question about plexiglass load bearing capacity.

Postby Aelfyre » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 am UTC

oxoiron wrote:Are you planning on supporting only the edges of the pool? Are you using actual PlexiglasTM or another form of PMMA or perhaps even something altogether different (e.g. polycarbonate)? How much sag in the middle is acceptable?

Also, regarding your two sheet plan: How do you plan to join the sheets? Once you put a seam down the middle of your PlexiglasTM, you will have potentially changed it's mechanical properties.

well I was planning on a 1' edge around the bottom of the plexi, cinder-block if necessary to support it. I would like as little sag as possible since I plan on sitting underneath it.
As far as joining the sheets I suppose I was planning on hoping they have a smooth edge and simply wedging them together. Gonna have to work on that.

I don't care if it is actual Plexi as long as it meets the transparency and load bearing requirements. Ideally it would be a single piece but I don't know how to make that happen for the size I am looking for.
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Return to “Science”