How do YOU make decisions?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:03 am UTC

If it's a minor decision, I'll usually just go with routine. I've had Weetbix for breakfast every day for the last 8 months, so I'll have it for breakfast today. If the choices are equal, or inconsequential, I'll flip a coin and go with the result. It took a while to train myself to do it, but I'm better at handling regret now. In fact, I make most of my decisions by coin. It's easier and I don't really care about most stuff. If it is important, I'll use my severely retarded decision making process to achieve the wrong outcome.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:11 am UTC

pollywog wrote:If it's a minor decision, I'll usually just go with routine. I've had Weetbix for breakfast every day for the last 8 months, so I'll have it for breakfast today.

You're never going to get laid again.

pollywog wrote:If it is important, I'll use my severely retarded decision making process to achieve the wrong outcome.

Yep.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:44 am UTC

Apathy helps when making decisions.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:08 pm UTC

I just think.... usually. Occasionally I ask people stuff, sometimes I research. It really depends, but life-changing choices are usually actually the most emotionally driven. So usually I just think. I'm not very good at doing life-changing things. I've thought about seeing a therapist to help, but again, that hasn't happened yet.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

When choosing what to spend a significant amount of money on:

First I establish a set of minimum acceptability requirements and maximum price. I then eliminate any choice that is not an improvement over a cheaper option. So now I have a range of options where each increase in price has real additional value to me. I then decide which choice has the most "good per dollar" increase over the cheapest option.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:If it's a minor decision, I'll usually just go with routine. I've had Weetbix for breakfast every day for the last 8 months, so I'll have it for breakfast today.

NO! STOP! SAVE YOURSELF MAN! Seriously, I did that! Now I can't eat Weetbix without feeling terrible! Weetbix is only for the times when there is NOTHING ELSE AVAILABLE. You save it for when the zombies have you boxed in a bunker, or when it turns out there really WERE aliens on Mars, and they thought Spirit and Opportunity SUCKED. If you eat it every day, you're not gonna be able to stomach it anymore, and so when it's all you have in that situation, you'll be screwed. I usually eat some of whatever I had for dinner the last night for breakfast.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

The hell is weetbix, anyway?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:23 pm UTC

Some Aussie food thing. Kinda looks like Shredded Wheat, but not really. More flake than spindle.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

It's basically sorta wheaty stuff packed into a compact rectangular form. Very dry, usually milk is added to make it easily edible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet-Bix

It's made by lots of places though, not just Sanitarium. They just own the Weetbix brand, lots of companies make similar products, though not all of them have the same nutritional value.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Weetbix has sugar in it though I think? vita brits are similar but less sugar. With them you can break them in half and stick butter or margarine inside, and vegemite or something. They dont usually break in half cleanly though... jus thte sugar in weet bix makes it taste wierder...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

I kinda-sorta-not-really-but-maybe-a-little have a split personality thing going, so things which need deciding get fought over until all parties involved have beaten each other to a bloody pulp and they've all agreed never to speak of it again. Then I'm all "Hey, I decided!"

If I need a quick answer, I just answer in the manner of whatever me is at the forefront at the time.

For the really tough ones I just submit it to my subconscious and it gives me an answer in, like, a day or so. It's a nice subconscious. It doesn't do so good with math problems, though. One time it took a whole week for a difficult geometry proof. That was frustrating. I was all, "Subconscious? Can I get you any more data? Would you like a popsicle? Maybe a fizzy drink?"

Aeltar

Postby Aeltar » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:02 am UTC

I think about it for a long time, and then be indecisive. If it's a question of "Get stuff now, or do good and get stuff later" then I always choose the latter, however.
functionally_stupid wrote:If you ever feel the urge to say "I love you" to a friend, a lover, a parent, who-the-fuck-ever - say it. SAY IT. I cannot stress this enough.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:15 am UTC

For some reason, if the answer doesnt matter, i can just pick arbitrarily. Apparently it's not as common as I think it is.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:32 am UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:

NO! STOP! SAVE YOURSELF MAN! Seriously, I did that! Now I can't eat Weetbix without feeling terrible! Weetbix is only for the times when there is NOTHING ELSE AVAILABLE. You save it for when the zombies have you boxed in a bunker, or when it turns out there really WERE aliens on Mars, and they thought Spirit and Opportunity SUCKED. If you eat it every day, you're not gonna be able to stomach it anymore, and so when it's all you have in that situation, you'll be screwed. I usually eat some of whatever I had for dinner the last night for breakfast.

I probably eat 10 Weetbix a day, up to 13 or 14 on weekends. It's the master food. I also drink about half of my family's milk. I love it, and it's easy. I usually have some after dessert.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:43 am UTC

ewww.. weetbix is only edible when mixed with hot water, little milk and LOTS of brown sugar. I only eat it when Im sick and regular food hurts my throat.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

Return to “General”