Braces (the dental kind)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

Braces (the dental kind)

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:46 am UTC

The topic of braces came up again the other day. Previously I've been told that braces are a painful, prolonged, disfiguring, costly ordeal that I should have been pleased to be exempted from, even though I can barely stand to show my teeth at all. But I'm told time has changed, technology has advanced, and none of the things that were once true still applies – except maybe the cost, which I can actually easily afford at this point.

What do you folks think?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Re: Braces (the dental kind)

Postby bluebambue » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:03 am UTC

As of about 10 years ago, they are still painful and prolonged. I don't know where "disfiguring" is coming from, unless they're talking about the aesthetics while you wear them. Depending on how much your teeth will have to be rearranged, you may be able to do invisiligne http://www.invisalign.com/Pages/default.aspx

The pain does depend on the sensitivity of your teeth. I would also say the first week is the worst (though any time they get tightened it will hurt again.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:53 am UTC

I got mine late (they went on when I turned 15, I actually went in to get them on when a friend of mine was getting hers off), so that probably exacerbated the painfulness, but my orthodontist also agreed to 'work faster', meaning more dramatic shifts with each tightening. It wasn't too bad, and I had some extreme stuff done due having a narrow palate and a dramatic overbite. My teeth were sensitive probably a week every two months; it wasn't that big of a deal.

Invisiline can correct crookedness, but isn't so good at correcting bites. Get a consultation though; if your smile isn't to your liking, fixing it may be more affordable than you think. Or it may at least be easier than you think. That said, I do feel adults in braces get a worse rap in terms of pain and social embarrassment. Shrug.
Last edited by Izawwlgood on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:53 am UTC

I had braces to correct my bite and to shift my teeth (I had two of my child teeth fused to the bone, so when they were removed they left gaps). I must say it wasn't really painful at all (although biting into things when they were first installed or when new bands got put in sucked for a few days); the worst part was trying to play my trombone, but for that I got the orthodontist to give me way that I could put over my braces so I wouldn't cut my lip.

They're not at all disfiguring, nor are they particularly prolonged (depending on how bad your teeth are, anyway); the only real criticism there would be the 'costly', but if it's something you want you should have yourself looked at and get a quote, and since you can afford it, I don't think that there's much of a problem.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

I had a pretty dumb orthodontist, so I had braces for way longer than I should have. It wasn't painful, except for maybe the first week. It was just frustrating all the foods I couldn't eat.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

I have No Clue what your teeth look like.

I do know Orthodontic Braces are a Big Deal.

When you have the choice, do not talk to One and Only One Professional about this The Subject.
Three. Three is ususally The Magic Number.
Five is an other good Magic Number.

Keep Notes.
What words do They use.

What do You want? Why?

What do They want? Why?

Without Orthodontic Braces some people can not chew the food that is inside of their mouths.
Some People. Well; You know. Some People.

Can you chew your food?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

My sister and I both had them, and we had different experiences. Mine were extremely painful when they were first put on, but stopped hurting after that, except when tightened. I had mine for a two years. My teeth were crooked and I usually didn't smile before the braces. My sister had more crooked teeth, and a weird gap where she had to have a tooth removed. Her braces were barely painful ever and she only had them on for six months, even though her teeth were really messed up. The only problem we had was playing flute when we got them on. They aren't bulky for normal speech, but it's weird to try to play a wind instrument.
I recommend them if you don't like the way your teeth look or if you have problems eating. They were extremely expensive, but if you can afford them, go for it. I don't regret mine at all.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

I had braces on my top teeth for three years and my bottom teeth for two years. My teeth were fucked up.

They didn't really hurt much, except for the time where they tried to put some kind of permanent top-retainer in. It had sharp edges that constantly stabbed my tongue...it was only in for a day because of that.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Mine hurt every time they tightened them which was once a month. Other than that they weren't too bad.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Mine shredded the inside on my cheeks. Also I got them after my tongue piercing, and had to take it out; which I resented.They went on obscenely late, and I ended up jacking them in early. I was doing it because I was told I would regret it otherwise; but by the time I was 18, I realised I didn't care about what anyone thought of my teeth.

So really, the only take away for you is make sure you're doing it cause you want to. It sounds like that's the case.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:03 am UTC

3fj wrote:Mine shredded the inside on my cheeks.

I had this problem, too. My teeth did get straighter, although they didn't really fix my overbite. I don't know if that reflects poorly on my orthodontist of I just have a jaw too buff to be corrected by puny strips of metal.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

First step is find a good orthodontist - ask around, I don't know your age range but if you know either adults with teens and find out who they recommend, or if it's not creepy and you know teens with braces, ask them who their ortho is and if they like them.

I have a very small mouth (had 4 incisors pulled, and 4 premolars, adult teeth this is, to make room in my mouth. And later all 4 wisdom teeth - two were coming in crooked (same side) but the other side that were coming in "straight" would have never fully poked through my gum as they were too far back in my mouth, which would have caused lots of issues) and a slightly side-to-side crooked bite. In front I had some overlapping teeth on the bottom mostly, some on the top.

I didn't have any huge gaps to close, teeth pulling happened at good logical times for the next line of perminant teeth to come in and stuff shifted somewhat naturally.

I had braces for like 18 months and a retainer for about two years, which I really only wore for one year. I found my retainer about a year ago and tried it on for kicks, and it wouldn't go on and I wasn't about to force it, haha. I have one tooth on the bottom row that as soon as I stopped wearing the retainer shifted a bit cockeyed again, otherwise everything stayed mostly put.

I liked my ortho a lot, I had the classic kind of braces although my retainers were the invisalign style. I remember moving up to thicker wires to move things around better was painful for a few days, and also when I had to wear the rubber bands, that would be sore for a few days. Standard adjustments I don't remember being particularly painful, although I do remember taking advil before every trip to have it in my system. That seemed to really help, as when I forgot, I do recall it being more sore.

I stayed away from things like peanut brittle and popcorn and butterfingers, the stuff that can get mashed and gummed into things prettymuch. Otherwise I ingored the "do not eat" list. I was a bad girl, LOL. But it didn't seem to matter. I think part of the "do not eat" list is a catch-all, but if you are careful, and take good care of your teeth and braces, it's not an issue (hope that makes sense.)

I did have troubles with one bracket making the inside of my cheek raw, but the ortho gave me wax to put over the braket to make it smooth and that helped, but I had issues getting the wax to stay. So he started to double-band it (those little bands that hold the wire on) in a way that covered the "prong" that was bothersome and that was a perminant fix.

Like I said...it's probably a lot about your ortho, I had a good one!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri May 03, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

I just remembered being able to select the colors of my braces' rubber bands. I think I usually went for blue and yellow alternating for most of the year, yellow and black around halloween, and red and green around christmas. Used a lot of wax also.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri May 03, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

I wore an "appliance" for ages before I got braces. It was adjusted regularly and meant to make more space for my teeth so that none had to be pulled. Once we adjusted it too quickly and I woke up with a huge gap in my teeth. I was sore a lot.

Once I got braces, I didn't have to use them for too long, due to the aforementioned appliance. My teeth were sore for a few days after tightening, but other than that they were just annoying to keep clean. Sometimes they poked my cheeks, but I had wax to put on them for that.

Please wear your retainer. I know it ends up fine for some people, but you never know. I wore mine a few years, then stopped. My teeth have started to shift back. I don't mind the bottom because they don't show when I smile, but the two teeth next to my front teeth on the top are moving back behind them, and it sucks. I am quite self-conscious about my smile in photographs, and this stuff is expensive, and I'm superbly bummed that I'm going to be worrying about how my smile looks on our wedding day. And I am terribly guilty that I've wasted the ungodly amount of money I'm sure my mom spent on all the work.

Return to “General”