Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineering)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
colinrmitchell
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby colinrmitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
colinrmitchell wrote:

welcome to the thread!
i can imagine just from my personal experiences with ford vehicles, plan on alot of money being dropped and alot of frustration ahead.

as far as my vic goes, well, as soon as i get the truck, its getting parked out back to have its rear end fixed, trans partially rebuilt, new paint, and then its off to find a buyer. someone else can deal with it.

its not that i hate the car, it drives quite well. just its expensive as all hell to operate and more expensive to fix.


Thanks!

I've only had Fords, and they haven't really given me any troubles. Mostly just expected maintenance stuff. I don't blame rotors and balljoints for going out after 12-16 years. I've never had major engine or transmission problems. But that's the joy of owning mid-to-late '90s vehicles: I can go to the junkyard and get a replacement motor or trans for next to nothing. I can get the transmission out of my Ranger in under two hours.

I figured that the F150 would need some work since I just bought it from a skeezy car lot. But it was the only one in the area that had the specs that I wanted: standard cab, long bed, manual 4x4 with the 5.4L.

As Archimedes always said, "Give me a welder and a plasma cutter, and I can fab the world."

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

colinrmitchell wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
colinrmitchell wrote:

welcome to the thread!
i can imagine just from my personal experiences with ford vehicles, plan on alot of money being dropped and alot of frustration ahead.

as far as my vic goes, well, as soon as i get the truck, its getting parked out back to have its rear end fixed, trans partially rebuilt, new paint, and then its off to find a buyer. someone else can deal with it.

its not that i hate the car, it drives quite well. just its expensive as all hell to operate and more expensive to fix.


Thanks!

I've only had Fords, and they haven't really given me any troubles. Mostly just expected maintenance stuff. I don't blame rotors and balljoints for going out after 12-16 years. I've never had major engine or transmission problems. But that's the joy of owning mid-to-late '90s vehicles: I can go to the junkyard and get a replacement motor or trans for next to nothing. I can get the transmission out of my Ranger in under two hours.

I figured that the F150 would need some work since I just bought it from a skeezy car lot. But it was the only one in the area that had the specs that I wanted: standard cab, long bed, manual 4x4 with the 5.4L.

As Archimedes always said, "Give me a welder and a plasma cutter, and I can fab the world."



you. go buy lottery tickets. NOW.

haha i have not had such luck. every ford i owned has been problems from the day i got it to the day i got rid of it.

i too, visit scrap yards, as its the only way to get parts for these vehicles without getting gouged by the dealership.
Image

User avatar
colinrmitchell
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby colinrmitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Here's another project that I have been working on on-and-off for the last couple of years. It's a go-kart made from a retired lawn mower. I got the lawn mower for free from some old guy who couldn't maintain it. The float needle went bad in the carb and the crankcase filled up with gas. A carb kit later, and I had a running lawn mower.

This is a hoot to drive. It has a manual six-speed gear box. I designed and built a new belt drive system for it with a clutch pedal, so I can jam gears like I am from Fast and Furious while looking like a member of the fat-twins-on-mopeds parade.

It also has a wheelie bar! Drop the clutch in second gear and I can walk it across the yard. I call it "The Super-Pissed Bee."

Spoiler:
Image
Gotta rep the sponsors. :P

Image
From this angle, you can definitely see where I got the name from.

Image

Image

Image


I have another one in the works. I still needs a belt drive and pedals. It's going to be the "Mauve Avenger II." The first Mauve Avenger was KIA.

Spoiler:
Image
Paint job was inspired by Courvoisier.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

colinrmitchell wrote:Here's another project that I have been working on on-and-off for the last couple of years. It's a go-kart made from a retired lawn mower. I got the lawn mower for free from some old guy who couldn't maintain it. The float needle went bad in the carb and the crankcase filled up with gas. A carb kit later, and I had a running lawn mower.

This is a hoot to drive. It has a manual six-speed gear box. I designed and built a new belt drive system for it with a clutch pedal, so I can jam gears like I am from Fast and Furious while looking like a member of the fat-twins-on-mopeds parade.

It also has a wheelie bar! Drop the clutch in second gear and I can walk it across the yard. I call it "The Super-Pissed Bee."

Spoiler:
Image
Gotta rep the sponsors. :P

Image
From this angle, you can definitely see where I got the name from.

Image

Image

Image


I have another one in the works. I still needs a belt drive and pedals. It's going to be the "Mauve Avenger II." The first Mauve Avenger was KIA.

Spoiler:
Image
Paint job was inspired by Courvoisier.

hehehehe oh that brings a smile to my face.
love it. keep up the good work. i wanna build soemthing like that, but would have nowhere to drive it, with Californias stupid laws on EVERYTHING.
Image

User avatar
colinrmitchell
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby colinrmitchell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:hehehehe oh that brings a smile to my face.
love it. keep up the good work. i wanna build soemthing like that, but would have nowhere to drive it, with Californias stupid laws on EVERYTHING.


God bless the fly-over states, eh?

I haven't driven it in a while. I might just have to get it out and torment the neighborhood tonight. It's a fun project to work on with buddies over a couple of beers on a rainy night.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

colinrmitchell wrote:
God bless the fly-over states, eh?

I haven't driven it in a while. I might just have to get it out and torment the neighborhood tonight. It's a fun project to work on with buddies over a couple of beers on a rainy night.

well perhaps my truck will become my project to work on like that. wanna put a lift kit, better tires, etc on it.
Image

User avatar
Lokiparts
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Lokiparts » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Awesome thread guys! I knew if I looked around for a little while I would eventually find some of my people here.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:Awesome thread guys! I knew if I looked around for a little while I would eventually find some of my people here.

welcome!

here have a complimentary grease flavored mint.
Image

User avatar
colinrmitchell
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby colinrmitchell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 am UTC

I started a new project this week. I took the body off of my mud truck to strip and paint the frame. I'm considering swapping in a 300 straight six. I'd like to get an early '80s, carbureted version, but I could probably handle a simple late '80s, early '90s FE engine. I'd like to simplify the truck as much as possible.

Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Yes, that is the way professionals remove bodies. :D


You can view larger versions at http://colinrmitchell.endoftheinternet.org/photos.php?album=11.

After the frame is finished, I am going to move the cab into the garage for work. I had plastic racing seats and five points in it already. I am planning on taking out the dash, and the AC/heater unit. I will then make a simple dashboard out of sheet steel and tubing. I'd like to keep the dash simple: water temp, oil pressure, a push-button for the starter, a toggle for the fuel pump, and a toggle for the kill. And a few switches for the winch, headlights, and auxilary lights. All the carpet and plastic has been removed, and I will either bedline or simply paint the inside of the cab. I will probably sell the doors and keep my "safari doors" on it all the time.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:05 am UTC

colinrmitchell wrote:I started a new project this week. I took the body off of my mud truck to strip and paint the frame. I'm considering swapping in a 300 straight six. I'd like to get an early '80s, carbureted version, but I could probably handle a simple late '80s, early '90s FE engine. I'd like to simplify the truck as much as possible.

Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Yes, that is the way professionals remove bodies. :D


You can view larger versions at http://colinrmitchell.endoftheinternet.org/photos.php?album=11.

After the frame is finished, I am going to move the cab into the garage for work. I had plastic racing seats and five points in it already. I am planning on taking out the dash, and the AC/heater unit. I will then make a simple dashboard out of sheet steel and tubing. I'd like to keep the dash simple: water temp, oil pressure, a push-button for the starter, a toggle for the fuel pump, and a toggle for the kill. And a few switches for the winch, headlights, and auxilary lights. All the carpet and plastic has been removed, and I will either bedline or simply paint the inside of the cab. I will probably sell the doors and keep my "safari doors" on it all the time.


awesome!

as for the itnerior, have you thought about using some kind of anti skid, like this: http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find-the ... paint.html

probably a good idea for floors and such.
Image

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

New car comes on a truck tomorrow, wheee!

In related news, I had no idea cars were this tech-ful now. I like my 80's and 90's cars, so the 2008 I'm picking up blows my mind. It tells you the % life of your oil remaining, the pressure in each tire, how old your battery is, when your lamps need replacing...like, damn, that is not stuff I knew was standard these days.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Congratulations!

FYI, it's still good to physically check your oil now and then. The Oil Life is just the computer's guess at how nasty it's getting, based on how far and how hard you've been driving. There's no actual sensor there. It's a much better guess than the old "every 6 months," but the best check is still to rub some between your fingers and see if it's brown and clear or black and gritty.

The tire pressure gauges and battery checker are legit, and awesome.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm contemplating setting alarms for every month in some app or another to check things like fluid levels, quality, lamps on/off, etc.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

User avatar
colinrmitchell
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby colinrmitchell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
colinrmitchell wrote:I started a new project this week. I took the body off of my mud truck to strip and paint the frame. I'm considering swapping in a 300 straight six. I'd like to get an early '80s, carbureted version, but I could probably handle a simple late '80s, early '90s FE engine. I'd like to simplify the truck as much as possible.

Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Yes, that is the way professionals remove bodies. :D


You can view larger versions at http://colinrmitchell.endoftheinternet.org/photos.php?album=11.

After the frame is finished, I am going to move the cab into the garage for work. I had plastic racing seats and five points in it already. I am planning on taking out the dash, and the AC/heater unit. I will then make a simple dashboard out of sheet steel and tubing. I'd like to keep the dash simple: water temp, oil pressure, a push-button for the starter, a toggle for the fuel pump, and a toggle for the kill. And a few switches for the winch, headlights, and auxilary lights. All the carpet and plastic has been removed, and I will either bedline or simply paint the inside of the cab. I will probably sell the doors and keep my "safari doors" on it all the time.


awesome!

as for the itnerior, have you thought about using some kind of anti skid, like this: http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find-the ... paint.html

probably a good idea for floors and such.



That paint would be awesome on the floor boards and the tops of the rocker panels. I wonder how much it is? I looked at a gallon of bedline, and it's between $90 and $150. That's a little more than I was hoping to spend.

This one is for the womens:

Spoiler:
Image
8-)

14-month calendars available upon request. :P

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

colinrmitchell wrote:Image


http://weknowgifs.com/gif/black-guy-lau ... -boat-gif/

edit: why is it not easier to make gifs work here?
Image

User avatar
colinrmitchell
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby colinrmitchell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
edit: why is it not easier to make gifs work here?


Image

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:edit: why is it not easier to make gifs work here?
It's super easy.

You're just doing it completely wrong.

Wrong Thing #1 - your URL isn't to an image, but an HTML page. Shit's never gonna work.

(potentially) Wrong Thing #2 - your URL is to http://weknowgifs.com. I have no idea if they allow hotlinking, and their servers appear...slow. Better to reupload it to imgur and then provide a {shamelessly stolen} sort of link for sourcing, as sourced as this can be.

Wrong Thing #3 - you're just hammering in the URL with no tags.

This is what you have -

Code: Select all

http://weknowgifs.com/gif/black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif/


This is what you wanted -

Code: Select all

[img]http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif[/img]


(There's an Img button along the top. Just push it, then put the direct image URL between the {img}{/img} bits. Only it doesn't look like that, but like [img]. If I did the correct thing, it wouldn't show. Not without the [code] tags.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:edit: why is it not easier to make gifs work here?
It's super easy.

You're just doing it completely wrong.

Wrong Thing #1 - your URL isn't to an image, but an HTML page. Shit's never gonna work.

(potentially) Wrong Thing #2 - your URL is to http://weknowgifs.com. I have no idea if they allow hotlinking, and their servers appear...slow. Better to reupload it to imgur and then provide a {shamelessly stolen} sort of link for sourcing, as sourced as this can be.

Wrong Thing #3 - you're just hammering in the URL with no tags.

This is what you have -

Code: Select all

http://weknowgifs.com/gif/black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif/


This is what you wanted -

Code: Select all

[img]http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif[/img]


(There's an Img button along the top. Just push it, then put the direct image URL between the {img}{/img} bits. Only it doesn't look like that, but like [img]. If I did the correct thing, it wouldn't show. Not without the [code] tags.



hmmm thats interesting, i did try throwing it into the [img] tag, just ended up with the word "image"

pretty sure its a combo of thing one and thing two.


I LEARNED SOMETHING TODAY
Image

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 am UTC

..no, it's not a combo of one or two things. It's all three of them. You did all three.

Don't do any of what I said not to do.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:..no, it's not a combo of one or two things. It's all three of them. You did all three.

Don't do any of what I said not to do.


well yeah i only violated thing three to get the link in there.
Image

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:11 am UTC

So, driving home tonight, my car starts shaking when I accelerate, and the check engine light comes on (and flashes...which I was unaware meant pull over immediately). When I got home (about two miles later), I turned the car off, then turned it back on to see what would happen, and it starts up to only 750-1k rpm unlike the usual 1.5-2 rpm. Clearly have a problem with power output. What could cause this?

I am worried most that it could be a cylinder head. I still haven't fixed the gasket, or had it fixed, but I've kept it with good amounts of coolant for the past eight months.

Edit: searches suggest the following possibilities:
catalytic converter (especially because I continued driving)
O2 sensor
Fouled spark plug
fuel injector?
EGR valve (not quite sure what this is)

I purchased a cheap code reader which should work with a 2001 altima...not driving it anywhere, and not having it towed so I can drop $75 more just to have the error codes read.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Hawknc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:58 am UTC

EGR is exhaust gas recirculation, effectively pumping some of the exhaust back into the fuel-air mixture in the cylinder for a more efficient burn. I wouldn't pretend to know exactly what is causing your problem, but if it's shaking on acceleration it suggests maybe an engine imbalance, like one of the cylinder isn't firing right, so the spark plugs are probably worth checking. They're also thankfully a cheap fix.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:So, driving home tonight, my friend Catherine starts shaking when I accelerate, and the check engine light comes on (and flashes...which I was unaware meant pull over immediately). When I got home (about two miles later), I turned the cat off, then turned it back on to see what would happen, and it starts up to only 750-1k rpm unlike the usual 1.5-2 rpm. Clearly have a problem with power output. What could cause this?

I am worried most that it could be a cylinder head. I still haven't fixed the gasket, or had it fixed, but I've kept it with good amounts of coolant for the past eight months.

I purchased a cheap code reader which should work with a 2001 altima...not driving it anywhere, and not having it towed so I can drop $75 more just to have the error codes read.

so, have you had an issue with the head gasket before? that would almost certainly turn your power output to shit.

if you could post those codes, it would be super helpful.

also: im not sure of the tendencies of an altima, but take a quick look around the engine bay. specifically, open up your engine coolant, go get a flashlight, look in the resevoir. what color is it? if its chocolate milk, you have a bad bad problem.

also, look on the side of the block, near the cylinder head. chocolate milk there means you have a problem, and you will not be going on the roads today.
Image

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

It turned out to have been a bad spark plug wire causing cylinder 3 to misfire.

The cylinder head gasket has been leaking for about a year now; as long as I keep the coolant amount maintained, the engine doesn't overheat, and it doesn't seem to be speeding up in coolant loss (except for a time where the water pump was leaking).

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

new car day!

(well it was about two weeks ago. but still)

spoilered for HUGE
Spoiler:
Image


Spoiler:
Image


Spoiler:
Image


been steadily working away at it. some distinctions between this and the vic:

the parts don't cost as much as fighter jet parts. (some crown vic components cost more than their fighter jet counterparts)

i can actually REACH everything in the engine bay. often times without getting a single grease stain on my shirt (lovely for impressing the lady friends)

it doesn't actually break down every 3 days.


loving it.

however, its a 77. sooo yeah learning alll about carbeurated vehicles, vaccum lines, breaker points, and manual transmissions. WOO.

a couple days ago had an issue with the choke failing wide open, made it damned finicky to drive and less power (terrible mileage to boot) all better now, this thing has some get up and go.

shockingly, it has 90 horsepower as it sits, but it feels like more. no trouble at all getting it to pony up and move.

ill let you guys know the tales of this truck :)

(as a side note, if anyone is in los angeles anytime soon and absolutely must have a crown vic, im selling XD)
Image

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

i did a thing.

ordered a carb rebuild kit, took carb off the truck, completely cleaned and rebuilt it.

running perfectly now, loving it.
Image

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

Nice! I changed the oil on my car, WITHOUT making a huge mess.

Does anybody know anything about fuel lines? My brother's old Pontiac is leaking. Can I just repair it, or do I have to replace it? Anything I should look out for?

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:34 am UTC

I'd replace. Fuel is too risky to mess around trying to duct tape a solution together.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

yeah fuel line is cheap (like 2-3 dollars a foot at the local store) just replace em. they are also pressure vessels, so "duct tape" fixes could get hazardous
Image

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:18 pm UTC

Thanks. When I'm done do I need to refill the line or can I just fill the gas tank and start-er up?

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 pm UTC

probably no refill necessary (though some frustrating chugging before it starts up)

it does depend on the fuel pump type. the mechanical on-block type fuel pump may need a little juicing to get it moving.
Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests