Twenty empty 375mL cans

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:40 am UTC

You guys drink a shit load of soda, I'm going to do the same with milkbottles, collect them in my cupboard!
=]

djn

Postby djn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:55 am UTC

__Kit wrote:You guys drink a shit load of soda, I'm going to do the same with milkbottles, collect them in my cupboard!

Heh, indeed. 631 cans is approaching my usage for the last decade.

pi-3 orionis

Postby pi-3 orionis » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:25 am UTC

What I always do is wait a week for glasses, dishes, and pop cans to take upe the entire desk space. Then once you can't take it any longer, and you just have to give yourself some elbow room, and you finally face the fact that you need to clean up. . . throw some of the cans on the floor. My brother used to have an entire garbage bag filled with plastic bottle caps. I think I may need to start up a collection of those myself.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:And very, very few grocery stores carry milk-in-a-bag any more.

Really? Out here on the east coast at least it's very difficult to find milk that isn't in a bag, and it was that way back when I lived in Ontario as well.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

What the hell is milk-in-a-bag? If it's what I imagine it to be, why doesn't it spill?

Well, I guess it makes sense. I wouldn't want to let it sit on the floor of my car though, with the way I drive. I would imagine jugs are more my-driving-proof.
Last edited by ZeroSum on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

they put a cow in a bag and sell it to you
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Well, I guess it makes sense. I wouldn't want to let it sit on the floor of my car though, with the way I drive. I would imagine jugs are more my-driving-proof.

I have yet to see any bags of milk burst while driving, and I've being buying them pretty much my whole life.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

Master Gunner wrote:
ZeroSum wrote:Well, I guess it makes sense. I wouldn't want to let it sit on the floor of my car though, with the way I drive. I would imagine jugs are more my-driving-proof.

I have yet to see any bags of milk burst while driving, and I've being buying them pretty much my whole life.
My car has accessible sharp bits where I put my milk. Jugs tend to survive those brushes with death. I doubt any plastic bag that's more recyclable than jugs would.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Dude, you guys just blew my mind. You haven't experienced the milk-in-a-bag?

...I'm not even joking, I thought this was commonplace everywhere. In Ontario the bag variety is the one that sells most, they have jugs but not nearly as much. So you guys get milk in those 2-litre jugs like orange juice comes in? Wait, oh my god...

Do you guys have ORANGE-JUICE-IN-A-BAG? It all makes sense now!

ZeroSum wrote:I wouldn't want to let it sit on the floor of my car though, with the way I drive. I would imagine jugs are more my-driving-proof.

Why, is the bottom of your car littered with nails? They're pretty durable bags. Plus they come in a milk-bag-bag, another plastic bag that holds 3 bags each. I really don't know why they chose to sell it by the 3 litre.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 am UTC

We get gallon and 1/2 gallon (and quart for people who drink that little) jugs of milk and orange juice. Gallon jugs of water are also sold here.

I have an '88, back when they didn't do things like make sure pointy bits for the seat brackets are covered and such.

Oh, and 1/2 gallon, quart and pint cartons.
Last edited by ZeroSum on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

djn

Postby djn » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:42 am UTC

I have nothing to add, I would just like to document the only way I've ever bought milk, or seen it for sale: Cardboard cartons. There are 1 and 1.5L available, this is 1L.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Rippy wrote:Dude, you guys just blew my mind. You haven't experienced the milk-in-a-bag?

...I'm not even joking, I thought this was commonplace everywhere. In Ontario the bag variety is the one that sells most, they have jugs but not nearly as much. So you guys get milk in those 2-litre jugs like orange juice comes in?

Hell, it isn't even commonplace on a national level. I used to live in Alberta, and had never even heard of milk-in-a-bag until we moved here (Ottawa) a few years ago.

Yeah, we got them in jugs out west, 2L I think...or was it 4L? Can't remember...
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Damn you, Meowsma...
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:20 am UTC

I buy HomeBrand (cheap) in 3L bottles

EDIT: also by checking the nutritional information, I found it was EXACTLY the same as the most expensive brand.

My dad - who is a meat worker - also says he went to some large factory or something and all the peanut butter was the same.
=]

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:34 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:Why do you want Reese's pieces? Don't they have them in NZ? They aren't even Canadian, I don't think.

Well, I've never seen them, and I've heard people raving about them...

Its... uhh... not actually that good.

SpitValve wrote:Are "grocery stores" like supermarkets or more like corner shops? The picture that comes to mind is somewhere in between, but I'm not sure...

Like a supermarket, sort of. I generally think of them as being a bit smaller but not much.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

__Kit wrote:I buy HomeBrand (cheap) in 3L bottles

EDIT: also by checking the nutritional information, I found it was EXACTLY the same as the most expensive brand.

My dad - who is a meat worker - also says he went to some large factory or something and all the peanut butter was the same.
But does it keep as well and taste as good?

I can taste the difference between brands of milk. Then again, I really lurve my milk.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
SpitValve wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:Why do you want Reese's pieces? Don't they have them in NZ? They aren't even Canadian, I don't think.

You're... uh... not actually right.

And I'm in Ontario, and drink my milk from bags. FYI, the 1L bags of milk are put into a handled container for ease of pouring. You can drink straight from those, if you're lazy, but it's difficult not to pour the milk all over your chest.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 am UTC

this is the first time Ive heard of the milk bag.. its.. a little unerving.. what else is out in the world Ive never heard of but people experience every day?? Altho on a side note, the milk bag doesnt seem as visually appealing as a jug or carton of milk. But milk is getting so expensive here that people would forsake the looks for a nice cheap bag of milk.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

djn

Postby djn » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:32 am UTC

It's interesting to note that milk and gasoline have cost about the same per volume here for as long as I can remember.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:34 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:
SpitValve wrote:

Shhhh! If he knows, he'll have them imported or something, and there might come a day where I go to the store and they're sold out, and when I ask why, the shopkeep will angrily (and probably throwing a hat to the ground in disgust) say "They were shipped to the goddamn Kiwis!"

And then I'll be sad. SpitValve will not, but I will be.

So don't tell him! Tell him they're nasty, disgusting, and not actually food!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:38 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:
SpitValve wrote:

Shhhh! If he knows, he'll have them imported or something, and there might come a day where I go to the store and they're sold out, and when I ask why, the shopkeep will angrily (and probably throwing a hat to the ground in disgust) say "They were shipped to the goddamn Kiwis!"

Talon's correct, peanut butter and chocolate are a vile combination.

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:47 am UTC

Shizo wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:
SpitValve wrote:

Talon's correct, peanut butter and chocolate are a vile combination.

It's really made of baby seals. It's a big secret, so don't tell anyone.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 am UTC

Remember to delete the inner-nestings of the quotes, otherwise it gets frikkin' enormous.

And don't worry about New Zealanders depleting your supply: I'm moving to Canada to be closer to the source.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:33 am UTC

Neuman wrote:It's really made of baby seals. It's a big secret, so don't tell anyone.

Also, that brown stuff? It isn't chocolate.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:41 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:Remember to delete the inner-nestings of the quotes, otherwise it gets frikkin' enormous.

And don't worry about New Zealanders depleting your supply: I'm moving to Canada to be closer to the source.

I'm pretty sure the mean IQ of New Zealand will drop by about 10...
=]

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:52 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:
SpitValve wrote:

And I'm in Ontario, and drink my milk from bags. FYI, the 1L bags of milk are put into a handled container for ease of pouring. You can drink straight from those, if you're lazy, but it's difficult not to pour the milk all over your chest.

What are you smoking? Read what you just wrote again, and then read what you were replying to...

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Verator

Postby Verator » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:01 am UTC

I think the two statements aren't interconnected. You know, the milk in a bag comment not pertaining to the quotes....
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:04 am UTC

Verator wrote:I think the two statements aren't interconnected. You know, the milk in a bag comment not pertaining to the quotes....

Oh. Disregard my last comment.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

I always disregard you, Twas.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:Remember to delete the inner-nestings of the quotes, otherwise it gets frikkin' enormous.

The Smith Falls factory is closing in 2008, so we won't be a source anymore. :(

And Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are much better than Reese's Pieces in my opinion. I love my PB&C.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

The first thing that came to mind was stacking them in a pyramid and shooting it down with rubber bands/an airsoft rifle.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

EDITED TO PRESERVE OKITA'S PRECIOUS SELF-ESTEEM.
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:22 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:You can use them all to make concave mirrors capable of lighting paper on fire. Use a piece of chocolate to polish the bottom (and then don't touch it with your fingers, because the exposed metal is, apparently, toxic) and you can use the can, and the sun, to light stuff on fire.

Thank you, "Survivorman" and the History channel!

Okita wrote:You can use the bottom of one + chocolate in order to make fire. You rub the chocolate on the bottom of the can, which gets rid of the can's coating and makes the bottom really shiny. Since the bottom is also concave (or is it...convex?) you can use it and the power of the sun to start a fire in some sort of raptor infested post apocalyptic world scenario.

Le, sigh. /me feels ignored.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:24 am UTC

Delbin wrote:The first thing that came to mind was stacking them in a pyramid and shooting it down with rubber bands/an airsoft rifle.

OK... currently I have 16 cans, 4 left to drink. A vertical stack of 12 cans is quite impressive, I'll take a pic soon. It's also fun to shoot a staple gun at the stack to try and knock it over. I decided to wear sunglasses after a staple hit me in the forehead near my eyes.

Current plan is to build a Gateway Arch type thing with them. (The Gateway Arch is a landmark). And probably burn it.

justbecause

Postby justbecause » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:I don't find Dr. Pepper.

Do they have it in Canada? I might have to try it. Add it to the list along with Tim Horton's, some sort of peanut butter cup thing, milk-in-a-bag, and moose-jousting.

ZOMG - I'd completetly forgotten about milk-in-a-bag! (Prolly because I rarely drink milk.)
I highly recommend NOT TRYING ANYTHING Canadian ever. That way when you run out of money for school and can't find a job and have to move back home, you won't miss anything. Um, or maybe that's just me.

Um. And CoffeeCrisp bars are nifty. Too nifty for the USA, apparently.

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Dr. Pepper is by far the best pop ever... sadly, it is fairly unpopular outside of the US... I dunno if you will find it either, but Mr. Pibb(or Pibb Extra) tastes quite similar to it....

of course, the worst thing I've tasted is a Pibb Extra that was about 3 years past it's expiration date...
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

Dr. Pepper rocks. And yes, we have it in Canada.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:Current plan is to build a Gateway Arch type thing with them. (The Gateway Arch is a landmark). And probably burn it.
Since we're on the topic of building and destroying landmarks... To learn about Nagasaki and Hiroshima in 3rd grade, our teacher had us build a little city. Then he nuked it. (Firebombed, really, but the sentiment was there.)

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

I think Dr. Pepper tastes like cough medicine. Even that name is synonymous with medicine!

Btw, don't forget to put mini fireworks in each can for weight + firey awesomeness?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Return to “General”