Nerdy Pet Peeves

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have nerdy pet peeves?

Yes, lots
69%
Yes, one or two
31%

Total votes: 156

Fuolornis Fire Dragon

Nerdy Pet Peeves

Postby Fuolornis Fire Dragon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:55 am UTC

Nerds get annoyed by some pretty odd things. Please post some of yours.
Let's see, I hate mispronunciation of Latin. Like when people pronounce "veni vidi vici" as "Venny Viddy Vichy" instead of "Wany Weedy Weaky", or "vice versa" as "vice (like a fault) verse-a" instead of "Weekay Wair-suh".
Oh, and people messing up weight and mass, and centrifugal vs. centripetal, and Republicans, and people who think that the Bible (or any other book, let alone a 2-eon old one that's been translated from Hebrew) is true word-for-word, and people confusing millennia and eons.
"There is, for some unfathomed reason, something almost unbearably sexy about having huge fire-breathing magical dragons flying low about the sky on moonlit nights which [are] already dangerously on the sweet and fragrant side."
-Douglas Adams

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:57 am UTC

Where's the "none" option.

I'm annoyed by ambiguous polls that don't cover every option.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:08 am UTC

The one annoying me currently is that people can't tell the difference between biodiesel and waste vegetable oil. I have many others, though.
ImageImageImageImageImage

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:26 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Where's the "none" option.

ROFL!

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:03 am UTC

"I'm annoyed by your face.

Oh burn!"

...I'm annoyed by comments like that.

I'm also annoyed by people who don't know what things like aglets or ellipses are. Y'know, like random junk.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:07 am UTC

I get annoyed by people spreading misinformation as if it is fact and then pretend to be intelligent when people 'learn' something from them.

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:09 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I get annoyed by people spreading misinformation as if it is fact and then pretend to be intelligent when people 'learn' something from them.

Seconded.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:11 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I get annoyed by people spreading misinformation as if it is fact and then pretend to be intelligent when people 'learn' something from them.

Really? That kind of thing gets me through the day!
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:15 am UTC

It would help my day if they would actually listen to reason. Well... at least it wouldn't have a negative effect on my day.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:16 am UTC

Reason is for sissies (and communists!).
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:24 am UTC

I get annoyed by people who communicate badly then act smug when they're misunderstood.

Actually, while looking for the comic to get the right wording for that I realised I can make that sentence much more concise.

I get annoyed by people.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:31 am UTC

Does being annoyed by nerds count as having a nerdy pet peeve?

Seriously, you guys piss me off all the time.

:evil:

programmerbrad

Postby programmerbrad » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:37 am UTC

Can this just be normal pet peeves?
"Uninspired by the recruiting call; independent we stand, independent we fall."
Streetlight Manifesto - A Moment of Silence

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:52 am UTC

Let's see, I hate mispronunciation of Latin.

Church Latin? Roman Latin?

Not asking what you're adhering to, since I can tell by your phonetics (Roman Latin), but be aware that there are different standards.

Ultimately, it's a dead language, it can be pronounced any way it wants to be. The first quote (veni vidi vici) is actually a quote from a Roman, so I can see being kindof a pronunciation nazi about it, but the second (vice-versa) is practically just an english word now, and if the english standard is to pronounce it like it's spelled....so be it. To insist otherwise opens the door to people trying to revert other parts of our language to their original pronunciation, and I really don't feel like learning old *or* middle english, because.....eww.

(bonus points for anyone who claims "people who hijack threads into tangents" as their pet peeve)

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:56 am UTC

Yeah, just so you know, if for some bizarre reason we are ever in the same vicinity in real life, and I say "vice versa", and you try to 'correct' me, I will punch you in the face.

There, that can be a pet peeve. People who try to tell me how to pronounce things. I don't care if it's the correct way, if I say it a certain way it's how it should be pronounced, damnit.

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:01 am UTC

-When people think I'm a nerd because I actually learned the stuff the teachers were teaching us in school.

-When people say stuff like "wow, you must read the dictionary" because my vocabulary includes words that aren't found in rap songs.

-People who use the word "chillax"

-People who use aimspeak/|337speak/chatspeak.

-Myspace

EDIT: Commenting on the poll options, with polls on the internet, the last option is always a joke, so is the TC just assuming everyone who reads xkcd has lots of nerdy pet peeves?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:07 am UTC

-When people say stuff like "wow, you must read the dictionary" because my vocabulary includes words that aren't found in rap songs.

50 cent/Nelly/whoever don't represent all of hiphop. There are plenty of intelligent and complex phrases, using mammoth libraries of words in lots of hiphop, moreso than most other genres I'd say, given the amount of syllables and type of rhythm allowed in rap compared to singing.

But yes, I tend to dumb down my speech in real life for the pure sake of avoiding "don't try and sound smart with long words :roll:" comments.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:16 am UTC

Wikey wrote:my vocabulary includes words that aren't found in rap songs.

I find that amusing. Sigged.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:08 am UTC

Saladin wrote:Yeah, just so you know, if for some bizarre reason we are ever in the same vicinity in real life, and I say "vice versa", and you try to 'correct' me, I will punch you in the face.

There, that can be a pet peeve. People who try to tell me how to pronounce things. I don't care if it's the correct way, if I say it a certain way it's how it should be pronounced, damnit.

Damn, getting punched in the face is really one of my pet peeves.

Hopefully for my sake you never have to pronounce my name; I'd predict based on empirical evidence that you have about a 50% chance of getting it right. Though our family probably pronounces it incorrectly anyway.

Another peeve of mine is when people spell my name wrong, when they're copying it from a piece of paper given to them BY ME. Which happens all the time. I once flamed my TAs on a class message board for that. Used the "F" word and everything. Several times per sentence. I would have done it to the professor, too, if he'd dared to cross me... but that's just because I was too stressed out and needed to, as Wikey would surely say, chillax more.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:14 am UTC

I like the word 'chillax'.

I don't like websites that have as part of their design a tiny speck, so i think there's dust on my screen and try to brush it off, but it just won't come!

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:19 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:I don't like websites that have as part of their design a tiny speck, so i think there's dust on my screen and try to brush it off, but it just won't come!

That sounds like something that Mr. Munroe would put in a comic.

As in, he would put a little spec in the comic that you couldn't brush off.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:20 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
Wikey wrote:my vocabulary includes words that aren't found in rap songs.

I find that amusing. Sigged.

And just to be an ass - I challenge someone to find me a word that I cannot then find in a rap song. :D

One that Wikey would realistically use in day to day speech in a non-technical conversation, of course.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:01 am UTC

Saladin speaks truth. True hip hop requires mastery of the language because if you only know five words, four of which aren't used in polite society, freestyling won't work well for you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:14 am UTC

Abhorrent (I bet there is a rap using this word, because it's a cool word).

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:36 am UTC

Now the only question is whether I trawl through billions of online lyrics pages, or manually listen throughout my music collection searching for words.

... This may be more work than I anticipated. I'd just post some "intelligent" hiphop lyrics, but I don't want to pull this thread off topic.

Aaaand to keep this post on-topic; nerdy pet peeves. Hmm.

Well.

Crap, I can't think of anything. If only I was more nerdy.

In general pet peeves; I hate...

... I dunno. Sheep. Like that stupid Shrek. How annoying was he? Very annoying.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:42 am UTC

Shrek the sheep is still annoying. They shaved him on an iceberg. Which, when I put it like that, is absurd. So, i guess i'm okay with it.

Another peeve of mine is the word peeve. Ew. It sounds ghastly. What i was actually going to say was when i go to click on a window, but miss, and hit an icon, and then I have to wait for a program to load before i can close the program.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:46 am UTC

"Stupid sheep 'Shrek' shaun in idiotic iceberg incident."

I love EML.

And on the icon note; I hate when I got to close a window, but it's just less than maximised, so when I go to hit where the X should be, I hit the X of the maximised window behind it. Annoying.

P.S. "Shaun" comes up as spelt wrong, but I'm sure it's a word! The internet seems to disagree with me though.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:59 am UTC

not sure how nerdy it is, but (to stick with the theme of close buttons) i hate the new WMP11, with its silly vista-y theme and elongated close button that i have to move my cursor just that little bit extra to click. also, that's one thing i hate about IE7, but let's not go there.

i hate people who use the word guesstimate (well only one because i only know one person who does)

i hate people who don't pay attention to what's going on in the world around them. it seems whenever i try to talk to friends about something, i have to explain it to them because they just won't listen.

and after reading that, i think i just hate people in general, so i'm going cave-hunting.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:49 pm UTC

A lot of geeky pet peeves here...

One of my biggest geek ones is people bitching about speed mods on music games. Shut. The. Fuck. Up. It's an arrow-stomping game, not an arrow-reading game. You want something about reading whatever, go download Mavis Beacon and play THAT 1x no bar. Oh wait, that's about hitting the keys, too.

Strangely, people bitching about the bar only pisses me off about 1/4 as much. I mean, it's possible to play without and I'll do both, but bitching about speed mods...seriously, half of the people who are playing 1x are just memorizing the damn songs eventually anyway and that's how they're "reading" it.

Another thing, people that pretend that if it's math they can't do it. That ESPECIALLY holds true for modular arithmetic. I don't think any more elaboration is necessary here.

Oh yeah, pretending that Eva has some deep meaning behind it. Sorry, folks. It's a bunch of 1.5-dimensional characters, giant robots, and bullshit pretending to be symbolic.

Actually, I could go on all day, but most of them are pretty small. People bitching about speed mods is first on my list.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:44 pm UTC

Like C550?

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:59 pm UTC

Saladin wrote:And just to be an ass - I challenge someone to find me a word that I cannot then find in a rap song. :D

boggle - as in "it boggles the mind to think of how great HYPERiON is"
javascript - as in "javascript" (weird al doesn't count)
I'm sure i could think of more but i'm tired
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:24 pm UTC

Interblag :D
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:45 pm UTC

Neat

leet

Autodeplete

Actually i heard that last one

I still think most rap is mindless and stupid. But i mean I won't be exclusive.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Fuolornis Fire Dragon

Postby Fuolornis Fire Dragon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:09 pm UTC

I use the different names for clouds constantly in small talk (what's smaller than the weather?). I challenge you to find a rap song with the word "cumulonimbus" or "cirrostratus" in it. Hell, the spellcheck function doesn't even have "cirrostratus" in it, so I think I'm safe. Then again, it doesn't have "spellcheck", either.

Oh, and I did include a "none" option, but apparently I missed clicking the button that actually made it part of the poll. Gonna try to add it again now.
"There is, for some unfathomed reason, something almost unbearably sexy about having huge fire-breathing magical dragons flying low about the sky on moonlit nights which [are] already dangerously on the sweet and fragrant side."

-Douglas Adams

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:19 pm UTC

I get annoyed with snobs, with people who think of themself as superior to others and people who think violence is a neccesary path. I am annoyed by people on the more conservative side of the political spectrum and somewhat with people who refuse to have a vaguely nyanced view of conflicts. I'm annoyed with whoever supports and/or voted for Bush.
I am annoyed with people who buy jackets for 500$ and complain about problems in the world, I am annoyed with people who blame people who suffer for suffering, and I get annoyed with people that think apple is innovative.
I am annoyed with people who think the moon landing was faked, and people who think WW1 and 2 was germanys fault. I get annoyed when people think that IQ meassures rationality, and assumes that people with 'lower education' are always stupider.
I get annoyed when people are fretty about grammar.

I think that covers most of it ... some of it is hypocritical but that doesn't really bother me.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:20 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Like C550?

I can understand SOME of the bitching about C-mods since it takes away whatever stops and speed changes, but you know what, there are two points about those which deal with the vast majority of it...

1) it's difficult to time tempo changes with those, probably more so than with standard-style speed mods

2) there are some tempo changes which are just STUPID. See the ending of either Vertex brother. If ITG ever got anything like DDR's Chaos (STUPID STUPID STUPID), that'd be the best possible example of why it's ok to have C-mods. After all, I've never heard of anybody NOT having to memorize the stops in that...

synaesthesia

Postby synaesthesia » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:21 pm UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:Where's the "none" option.

ROFL!

- RG>

I'm annoyed by people who think ROFL! Or LMAOzz! is a meaningful enough insite to warrant an entire post...

I'm also annoyed by bad grammar. Actually, it's more like I annoy other people by constantly correcting their bad grammar. But still, it makes me twitch whenever I hear someone utter "more better" or "he runs fast".
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:52 pm UTC

I am annoyed by people in general, most specifically my own age group.

Getting an A in a class does not make you a nerd, nor does it make you smart. It means you happened to be listening that day.

Life does not revolve around freaking MySpace. Just...'nuff said.

Pull your pants up. Now. They are meant to cover your ass.

You are not "gangsta". Your mother drives you to school and packs your lunch.

We get it. Your family is rich enough to buy you an iPod and cell phone. Don't parade it around the classroom. You can wait the three hours to text your friend about what that one kid totally did in class.

What are you doing with boyfriends and girlfriends and sex? You aren't going to be with that person past two weeks from now and you're just begging for problems and trauma later in life.

Oh, I have plenty more, but the LOTR trilogy is on.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:29 am UTC

I don't think you people suggesting words read my disclaimer about technical terms. :lol:

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:36 am UTC

Air Gear wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:Like C550?

I can understand SOME of the bitching about C-mods since it takes away whatever stops and speed changes, but you know what, there are two points about those which deal with the vast majority of it...

1) it's difficult to time tempo changes with those, probably more so than with standard-style speed mods

2) there are some tempo changes which are just STUPID. See the ending of either Vertex brother. If ITG ever got anything like DDR's Chaos (STUPID STUPID STUPID), that'd be the best possible example of why it's ok to have C-mods. After all, I've never heard of anybody NOT having to memorize the stops in that...

I played Stepmania for a bit and the C speeds make it really easy, it increases the speed without reducing the hit window so it's a million times easier to time things. You still need to be pretty darn accurate to get lots of perfects though. I've played ones where the beats are literally as slow as a snail and it's so fucking hard to time them to get perfect because you're not sure when they're exactly over, C fixes that.

I didn't play it long enough to hear the bitching about speeds.

Return to “General”