Nerdy Pet Peeves

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have nerdy pet peeves?

Yes, lots
69%
Yes, one or two
31%

Total votes: 156

Oort

Postby Oort » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:34 am UTC

I hate people who use one-point perspective when two-point perspective would be more appropriate.

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:00 am UTC

i hate people who jump on bandwagons and don't think for themselves.
people who follow trends, ie one day they're a punk, the next they're an emo because hey guess what, "its the next big thing"
also, people who commit suicide, that irritates me.
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

synaesthesia

Postby synaesthesia » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:57 am UTC

myoumyouou wrote:also, people who commit suicide, that irritates me.

I agree with that. It's selfish, just causes everyone around them trouble and strife.

Eep, sorry, was that jumping on the bandwagon?
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:05 am UTC

People who commit suicide deserve to die.

tapehands

Postby tapehands » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:06 am UTC

i know these are going to be relatively bland, but they are nerdy at least..

1. People that can't tell the difference between an RJ-11 connector, and an RJ-45 connector.

2. Aforementioned people that don't realize that unplugging their phone line from the modem won't disconnect their precious internets.

3. People that don't know their hardware. It's allright that you don't know exactly how many pipelines your processor goes through. But going, "zomg! i just fried my pentium3 because i overclocked! rma skillz!!11!" really irks me.

4. People that refuse to admit math is fun. It really is fun!

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:16 am UTC

tapehands wrote:i know these are going to be relatively bland, but they are nerdy at least..

1. People that can't tell the difference between an RJ-11 connector, and an RJ-45 connector.
You're lucky. I have to deal with people who cant tell the difference between an RJ-45 connector, and a USB A connector. (I was suprised to learn that it is possible to plug a printer of that type into an NIC, not that it makes either one work)
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

rektide

Postby rektide » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:46 am UTC

if i let myself get annoyed by people's lack of geekiness, i would have to kill everyone. i am jacks infinite calm.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:28 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:People who commit suicide deserve to die.

I think that sums it up.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:13 pm UTC

This:
Private message from pjk49 wrote::
Hello, no_genius!

We played a timed blitz game. Through poor time management, you lost on time - irrespective of material - and you can prove it with this simple test.

Play another game on Gameknot blitz, getting down to Kings only. Then keep going till time elapses. You will certainly find that when your time elapses the system will tell you that you have lost !

Best regards

ARGHHH!!!! Does the guy even play chess?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:18 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:People who commit suicide deserve to die.

I think that sums it up.

i believe there used to be the death penalty for attempted suicide here, but that could just be made up.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:09 pm UTC

UK.. yeh I think that is where that law was.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:12 pm UTC

Yeah, that was my favourite fun fact! If you didn't succeed at killing yourself, they'd go and hang you. Excellent public service. Another favourite was when homosexuality in males was forbidden by law, but not females.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:29 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:Yeah, that was my favourite fun fact! If you didn't succeed at killing yourself, they'd go and hang you. Excellent public service. Another favourite was when homosexuality in males was forbidden by law, but not females.

thats cos its not the good kind ;)

challenge time: what do i mean by good? in a) 3,000 words b) 10 words c) infinite words

Also about the suicide thing, I thought it might have been made up, cos it sounded way too be true.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:42 pm UTC

I like that law for suicides, everyone goes home happy. As for male homosexuality being illegal when it's not for girls, I think that's unfair. But also kinda kinky since everyone knows that exclusion from a ban is the same as active encouragement.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:00 pm UTC

To get things back onto "geeky pet peeves", one came up recently...

People having a problem with diversifying a bit regarding Quakeworld team deathmatch maps.

I'll admit that I'm just getting back on after years, but it's like, playing dm3 over and over again sorta killed it for me those years ago. YOU CAN PLAY OTHER MAPS EVERY NOW AND THEN TOO. And don't give me any of this "tb3" ("the basic 3") bullshit, either. Swapping among dm3, e1m2, and dm2 is not really doing that much better. Seriously, you can keep the maps that are all time-tested or whatever, but for the love of God, there's more stuff to play here. Come on, e3m7 (or e3m7tdm if you think the original gets locked down too easily), e2m2 (or e2m2tdm if you think the original is too inaccessible), e2m7, e1m6, e3m2, e4m3, or their tdm equivalents and, hell, even the rest of the tdm maps, cmt4 and even cmt3 or the OTHER cmt's, and if you want to go completely crazy try something like dm7, baldm3, hipark, naked5, or hipdm1! There are a lot of maps out there that are a lot of fun for teamplay so learn a new one every now and then! Switch some around a bit! After all, making a game stagnant is generally not a good idea...

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:03 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:This:
Private message from pjk49 wrote::
Hello, no_genius!

We played a timed blitz game. Through poor time management, you lost on time - irrespective of material - and you can prove it with this simple test.

Play another game on Gameknot blitz, getting down to Kings only. Then keep going till time elapses. You will certainly find that when your time elapses the system will tell you that you have lost !

Best regards

ARGHHH!!!! Does the guy even play chess?

Seriously, we were down to kings! and he suggested we play on!!!! wtmfh? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

hehe, i called him a dick! (i assume he is a guy, can't really see a lady giving that much of a shit).

Edit: i mean, if he was playing a game without time limits, and he got down to kings, would he play on then? I played badly in that game, but managed a draw, and then the fucking dick tells me i should have 'managed my time better'. What a fucking dick! How I manage my time is none of his fucking business! ARGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:17 pm UTC

Wikey wrote:-When people think I'm a nerd because I actually learned the stuff the teachers were teaching us in school.

-When people say stuff like "wow, you must read the dictionary" because my vocabulary includes words that aren't found in rap songs.

-People who use the word "chillax"

-People who use aimspeak/|337speak/chatspeak.

-Myspace

D00d, you are a nerd. Stop thinking its a bad thing or has a stigma to it and move on with your life. Its really not a big deal. You are special and unique, just like everyone else.

In other words, chillax d00d.

I also hate myspace.

As for my nerd peeves:

God damnit, this JUST happened to me about an hour ago. Old people talking about computers in a manner that suggests they fucking invented the laptop and know everything about the latest bleeding-edge technology, yet their actual knowledge of the subject is limited to a) the early '90s, b) the computer they use at work (of which they know approximately nothing outside of MS Office), c) that time they used a Mac 8 years ago, and d) the ridiculous bullshit the bestbuy salesman pushed on them because he knew they would eblieve anything they told him.

For instance: Guy in his forties with kid going to college #1: Ya, my daughter is going into graphic design and they want her to have a laptop. The only problem is, they want it to be one of those "Macintoshes", and they cost about 3-4 times as much as a normal laptop.

Guy in his forties with kid going to college #2: Oh yeah, the thing about those "Macintoshes" is that they are a totally different system. I don't think there is very much software for them at all. Plus, you can't run your windows software.

Oh me yarm Oh!! I just about lost it and stabbed them both in their respective eyes. But I had to restrain myself and grit my teeth because one of the guys hired me.

Also, I hate reading reviews about technology-related products where I know much more than the reviewer and he obviously didn't put very much into the article.

Also, people who confuse "gangsta rap"/pop "hip-hop" with actual hip-hop and its varied forms. Check out Talib Kweli for some intelligent hip-hop. Common is pretty good too.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:17 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:God damnit, this JUST happened to me about an hour ago. Old people talking about computers in a manner that suggests they fucking invented the laptop and know everything about the latest bleeding-edge technology, yet their actual knowledge of the subject is limited to a) the early '90s, b) the computer they use at work (of which they know approximately nothing outside of MS Office), c) that time they used a Mac 8 years ago, and d) the ridiculous bullshit the bestbuy salesman pushed on them because he knew they would eblieve anything they told him.

My grandpa doesn't know a whole lot about computers (not the way you or I do, certainly), but a few years ago he was buying a new one and choosing between an AMD processor and an Intel processor. The Intel, of course, had a higher clock speed but they performed about the same, and he figured that they must be like trucks... that the Intel truck drove faster but didn't carry as much on each trip, on average.

Well, if you get really technical it's more like "there are lots of trucks and Intel releases trucks more frequently but they have a longer road to drive and sometimes a truck crashes and the cargo is ruined so an identical truck plus all the trucks in line behind it have to be re-released so all the goods get there in the right order, and because Intel has more trucks on a longer road this tends to be more devastating for them. But they are really fast trucks, so they do OK in the end."

But even so he came up with a useful analogy for the situation. Of course, processor performance was totally irrelevant for his usage of the computer (as it is for most of us beyond a certain point) but it was still cool.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:07 pm UTC

Wow, he actually knows about the difference in architectures and clock speeds?

That is rather impressive right there. I wouldn't expect your average college student to even know that much.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 pm UTC

Yeah... he's a pretty sharp and intellectually curious dude.

We're all gonna make our fortunes in the Intenet boom, he made his in the soybean boom.

You know, down in Soylicon Valley? Crazy kids those days.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

rektide

Postby rektide » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:31 pm UTC

Air Gear: I could (and have) played e1m8 for eternity. but i am that special kind of pyschotic.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:44 pm UTC

rektide wrote:Air Gear: I could (and have) played e1m8 for eternity. but i am that special kind of pyschotic.

I bet you'd switch off every now and then, which makes you perfectly fine. Hell, I bet you'd switch off even MORE if there were more altered-physics maps out there...

...but let me say, I LOVE YOU. Everybody hates that map EXCEPT us...I wish the guy who did the tdm conversions had done an e1m8tdm. It would have been great...

Oh, it'll be SO hard for me to resist the urge to put e1m8 into one of the brackets somewhere when the tourneys get going...

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:52 pm UTC

Yeah, when I said rap, I was talking about gangsta/pop rap. I know there is good hip hop out there, didn't mean to offend.

Also, I like to consider myself a dork, as I'm not really knowledgable enough about anything to earn nerd status.

EDIT:

New pet peeve, people insisting that I be really specific when making a joke. </potshot>

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 pm UTC

I hate how WMP always tries to connect to/steal my iPod every time I plug it in. It's like, why would I use you, silly assmonkey?

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:23 pm UTC

Saladin wrote:I hate how WMP always tries to connect to/steal my iPod every time I plug it in. It's like, why would I use you, silly assmonkey?

I'll take this even further. I hate all automounters. My system doesn't have any.

OmnipotentEntity

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:37 am UTC

I hate how my boss thinks that Norton is God's Gift to Anti-Virus based solely on his experience with it and Nimda.
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,
Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:13 am UTC

Here's mine.

IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A REAL WORD. Irrespective, irrelevant, irreparable, and regardless are real words. Irregardless is not.

The end.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:23 am UTC

What the hell would irregardless even mean?

P.S. Firefox spellcheck claims its a word.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:28 am UTC

Saladin wrote:What the hell would irregardless even mean?

P.S. Firefox spellcheck claims its a word.

Yeah, that's because it's been used so damn much.

From dictionary.com:
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:32 am UTC

It does sound like a word though. Then you think about it and your brain explodes.

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:15 am UTC

lani wrote:Here's mine.

IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A REAL WORD. Irrespective, irrelevant, irreparable, and regardless are real words. Irregardless is not.

The end.

On a similar grammatical note, I hate when improper grammar and spelling are used in adverts aimed at children/teens.

For instance, there used to be this giant billboard for some rapper near to where I work, and it used sayings such as 'Dem Jeans,' as in 'them jeans.' which even when spelled correctly is completely wrong. Then kids see it and start spelling everything wrong, and it just breeds stupidity.

Edit: forgot to add, said billboard were placed directly opposite a school.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:56 am UTC

lani wrote:
unravel

So I looked to see if "ravel" is an actual word by itself, and it is, but it can mean either "to disentangle or unravel" (note use of "unravel" in "ravel"'s definition... brilliant!) or "to tangle or entangle". If only language was legal move in mathematical proofs we could make 0 = 1 a million ways...

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:09 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Wow, he actually knows about the difference in architectures and clock speeds?

That is rather impressive right there. I wouldn't expect your average college student to even know that much.

but thats because the average college student is an idiot
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

ferret

Postby ferret » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:26 am UTC

I hate it when someone misquotes a movie quote an eensy bit. like replacing "the" with "a". it just bugs me.
candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:00 am UTC

I hate it when people confuse "affect" and "effect". I also hate certain common misspellings, such as using "loose" to mean the opposite of gain, or "rouge" instead of "rogue".
- Doug

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:04 am UTC

I hate the 'Rogue' one. "Yeh what stats should I put up for my rouge?" What the fuck are you talking about?

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:09 am UTC

Seen in the Horde Trade channel on Aman'Thul:

A: "Were is teh rouge trainer in UC?"

B: "Need tips on applying makeup, huh?"

A: "Wat? Fag!"

As another random bit of WoW/rouge goodness, I recall VannA considering creating a rogue named Blush.

<Moments later, I have something more to say. Here it is!>
On the topic of those backstabbing rouges, I must admit that I've begun to consistently say "durid" instead of "Druid" since reading "Alamo teeches u to be a durid" or whatever it was called. A quick googling has given me this linky: http://www.sullivanstreet.us/druid.html

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 am UTC

I played a Rogue. And I was awesome too :P.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:00 am UTC

ferret wrote:I hate it when someone misquotes a movie quote an eensy bit. like replacing "the" with "a". it just bugs me.

Yes, yes, yes. This drives me absolutely bonkers. Even worse is when they're trying to reproduce a stand-up routine.

Improper apostrophe usage.

People who try to analyze TV shows scientifically and fail miserably. For instance, a writer recently panned Battlestar Galactica's recent episode, "The Passage," claiming that it was completely illogical. He stated that the fleet routinely makes jumps of "thousands of light years" and nothing should be too big to go around. It took me all of five minutes to find out what the jump capabilities of the fleet are, as well as the dimensions of a star cluster.

Short version: Don't try to act smarter than everyone else when you're clearly not.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:05 pm UTC

myoumyouou wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:Wow, he actually knows about the difference in architectures and clock speeds?

but thats because the average college student is an idiot
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Return to “General”