Nerdy Pet Peeves

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have nerdy pet peeves?

Yes, lots
69%
Yes, one or two
31%

Total votes: 156

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I hate the 'Rogue' one. "Yeh what stats should I put up for my rouge?" What the fuck are you talking about?

Giant in the Playground (OotS site) Forum member explains it all.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:35 pm UTC

Fluff wrote:
lani wrote:Here's mine.

IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A REAL WORD. Irrespective, irrelevant, irreparable, and regardless are real words. Irregardless is not.

The end.

On a similar grammatical note, I hate when improper grammar and spelling are used in adverts aimed at children/teens.

For instance, there used to be this giant billboard for some rapper near to where I work, and it used sayings such as 'Dem Jeans,' as in 'them jeans.' which even when spelled correctly is completely wrong. Then kids see it and start spelling everything wrong, and it just breeds stupidity.

Edit: forgot to add, said billboard were placed directly opposite a school.

There is a local comapny that does tax returns I think? Their name has the number 4 in place of the word "for".

Local ads are great for this type of thing. It kills me inside.

Drunk Male Prostitute

Postby Drunk Male Prostitute » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:30 am UTC

I hate White Wolf games.
My brain hurts.

Tryke

Postby Tryke » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:15 am UTC

My nerdy pet peeve is people misusing the phrase "Begs the question." People tend to use it in a sentence like this:
And so this begs the question, what is the meaning of life?

I'm sorry, I believe the phrase you were looking for was "raises the question."

"Begging the question" is also known as circular logic, and is a fallacy. Here is an example (and I don't mean to start a religious discussion here, it is just the easiest one I can think of):

"God exists, because the Bible says so."
"How do you know that the Bible is right?"
"Because it is the word of God."

programmerbrad

Postby programmerbrad » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:15 am UTC

Drunk Male Prostitute wrote:I hate White Wolf games.

My friend would tear your limbs from your body upon hearing that.
"Uninspired by the recruiting call; independent we stand, independent we fall."
Streetlight Manifesto - A Moment of Silence

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:36 am UTC

Tryke wrote:My nerdy pet peeve is people misusing the phrase "Begs the question." People tend to use it in a sentence like this:
And so this begs the question, what is the meaning of life?

I'm sorry, I believe the phrase you were looking for was "raises the question."

"Begging the question" is also known as circular logic, and is a fallacy. Here is an example (and I don't mean to start a religious discussion here, it is just the easiest one I can think of):

"God exists, because the Bible says so."
"How do you know that the Bible is right?"
"Because it is the word of God."

That's one of it's meanings - outside of the study of logic, the same phrase has a similar but different usage, namely the one you initially quoted.

ian_evil

Postby ian_evil » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 am UTC

American English vs. English.

I know I can't just recalibrate my pronunciations overnight, but more than anything its the spellings that bother me. I use the extra "u" in "colour" and put "re" at the end of "centre" and, well.. at some point it just seems useless.

Who cares if Americans make up there own English spellings? We're America. We just win.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:19 am UTC

**their.

^Pet peeve.

ian_evil

Postby ian_evil » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:20 am UTC

crap.

How did that happen!?

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:36 pm UTC

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the misteak :P

'Their' used on purpose, but God it's awkward to look at. Ew. I don't know if I can actually post that. Ok, now I've changed it. I couldn't stand it being wrong. Misteak is fine though, I'm cool with that.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:45 pm UTC

I hate White Wolf games.

I hate new White Wolf games.

Your lack of a specification, however, means you're a heretic that should be burned.

digitrev

Postby digitrev » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:26 pm UTC

I cringe when I hear out of tune anything.

But my biggest pet peeve is when movies distort science for their own purposes. Science fiction is an exception, because they key idea of a sci. fi. movie is that it's going to have its own explanation for things, and they usually address it at some point. But when I see a regular old movie where they screw up some quantum issue, I want to stab something.
Together we will make the octopus nervous.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:14 pm UTC

I even don't make exceptions for some sci-fi.

"Timeline" by Michael Crichton? Blech.

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:54 am UTC

I really dislike it when people use shorthand while chatting or typing. It really makes you look stupid if you type something like 'r u there?'

When I was working at McDonald's, I would secretely correct all the signs that said "i'm lovin' it" by capitalizing the I and adding a g.
They never figured out who was doing it.
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

Drunk Male Prostitute

Postby Drunk Male Prostitute » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:00 am UTC

programmerbrad wrote:
Drunk Male Prostitute wrote:I hate White Wolf games.

My friend would tear your limbs from your body upon hearing that.

Belial wrote:I hate new White Wolf games.
Your lack of a specification, however, means you're a heretic that should be burned.

My nerdy pet peeve is when other nerds get fanboy violent when I don't like something they like.
My brain hurts.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:08 am UTC

Pau! wrote:I really dislike it when people use shorthand while chatting or typing. It really makes you look stupid if you type something like 'r u there?'

I generally dislike the aesthetic of a lot of the abbreviations, and they generally slow down my reading (perhaps if I read stuff like that more often it would be faster, though I do not intend to find out), but it is more efficient to type. I'm not gonna hate on people trying to save themselves from carpel tunnel!

When I was working at McDonald's, I would secretely correct all the signs that said "i'm lovin' it" by capitalizing the I and adding a g.

Yay.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

digitrev

Postby digitrev » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 am UTC

Pau! wrote:When I was working at McDonald's, I would secretely correct all the signs that said "i'm lovin' it" by capitalizing the I and adding a g.

Shit. I should've done that.
Together we will make the octopus nervous.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:34 pm UTC

My nerdy pet peeve is when other nerds get fanboy violent when I don't like something they like

Less talking. More burning. ;P

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:20 pm UTC

I don't have many pet peeves, nerdy or no. That being said, it has always annoyed me when other people denounce "bad grammar that teaches children to write poorly", as was being done in this thread several posts back. Most of what people call "bad grammar" is just nonstandard orthographic convention anyway, and in some cases represents the language more straightforwardly. "i'm lovin' it" orthographically indicates the /iN/ > /In/ sound change that has already occured in the various -ing derivations of verbs. The <Dem jeans> thing mentioned earlier is a way of orthographically marking the fact that the initial sound in <them> is pronounced as a /d/, not as a /T/ (or /th/, whichever you prefer). This change currently only effects informal registers of speech, so it makes sense that the advertisers would purposefully write in an informal style, because they are trying to market jeans as an informal product. I find it hard to say that the fact that a different register of speech has emerged is "bad"; languages have done that naturally for thousands of years, long before the invention of writing.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

svk1325

Postby svk1325 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:44 pm UTC

I hate it when people...

* write "pi" as "pie". What has the world come to?
* use the word "addicting" as an adjective. You have no idea how many times my friends do this. Next time, I will whack them with whatever book I happen to have with me.
* try to act smart but really aren't as smart as they think they are. One of my friends tried to solve a cubic equation and messed it up horribly by following bad logic. By his logic, apparently 5 - 7 = -35
* try to memorize pi as far as they possibly can. It's pointless, since 20 decimal places is enough to draw a circle around our galaxy with +10^-6 cm accuracy.
* use internet acronyms to the point that it takes longer to interpret than type. It is so annoying, I sometimes wish that I could throw something at them over the internet. Learn to type, dang it.

Um... yeah...
"Insanity in a measured dose is a good thing - the difficulty lies in the measurement."

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:23 pm UTC

Eschatokyrios wrote:I don't have many pet peeves, nerdy or no. That being said, it has always annoyed me when other people denounce "bad grammar that teaches children to write poorly", as was being done in this thread several posts back. Most of what people call "bad grammar" is just nonstandard orthographic convention anyway, and in some cases represents the language more straightforwardly. "i'm lovin' it" orthographically indicates the /iN/ > /In/ sound change that has already occured in the various -ing derivations of verbs. The <Dem jeans> thing mentioned earlier is a way of orthographically marking the fact that the initial sound in <them> is pronounced as a /d/, not as a /T/ (or /th/, whichever you prefer). This change currently only effects informal registers of speech, so it makes sense that the advertisers would purposefully write in an informal style, because they are trying to market jeans as an informal product. I find it hard to say that the fact that a different register of speech has emerged is "bad"; languages have done that naturally for thousands of years, long before the invention of writing.

I am annoyed by people who pronounce "them" as "dem".

I'll give you the "lovin" thing though.

Taejo

Postby Taejo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:46 pm UTC

ian_evil wrote:American English vs. English.

I know I can't just recalibrate my pronunciations overnight, but more than anything its the spellings that bother me. I use the extra "u" in "colour" and put "re" at the end of "centre" and, well.. at some point it just seems useless.

Who cares if Americans make up there own English spellings? We're America. We just win.

I probably would have adopted the more sensible spelling years ago. If it weren't for Americans.
Indiscreet Mathematics, a comic about maths

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:48 pm UTC

I don't have much of a problem with spellings that indicate a more informal pronunciation. "Dem jeans" is just plain incorrect grammar. It might just be an informal grammar, and I can tell the difference, but some kid might not. If you're marketing things to kids I think you ought to get the grammar basically right and not give kids bad habits.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:45 am UTC

synaesthesia wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:Where's the "none" option.

I'm annoyed by ambiguous polls that don't cover every option.

ROFL!

- RG>

I'm annoyed by people who think ROFL! Or LMAOzz! is a meaningful enough insite to warrant an entire post...

I share your annoyance, but I'm more annoyed that the Slashdot moderating system isn't available on other sites/forums, namely this one.

There are MANY things I'm annoyed about. I'm annoyed that I haven't had the time to start listing them on my blog.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:34 pm UTC

Eschatokyrios wrote:I don't have many pet peeves, nerdy or no. That being said, it has always annoyed me when other people denounce "bad grammar that teaches children to write poorly", as was being done in this thread several posts back. Most of what people call "bad grammar" is just nonstandard orthographic convention anyway, and in some cases represents the language more straightforwardly. "i'm lovin' it" orthographically indicates the /iN/ > /In/ sound change that has already occured in the various -ing derivations of verbs. The <Dem jeans> thing mentioned earlier is a way of orthographically marking the fact that the initial sound in <them> is pronounced as a /d/, not as a /T/ (or /th/, whichever you prefer). This change currently only effects informal registers of speech, so it makes sense that the advertisers would purposefully write in an informal style, because they are trying to market jeans as an informal product. I find it hard to say that the fact that a different register of speech has emerged is "bad"; languages have done that naturally for thousands of years, long before the invention of writing.

I am bugged by non-indented, non-paragraphed posts that take longer to read than to write.

jwwells

Postby jwwells » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:36 am UTC

Has anybody said "spammers" yet?

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:05 pm UTC

jwwells wrote:Has anybody said "spammers" yet?

You.

superiority
Location: location is a social construct: rise up, throw off your geographical shackles!

Postby superiority » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:48 pm UTC

svk1325 wrote:* use the word "addicting" as an adjective. You have no idea how many times my friends do this. Next time, I will whack them with whatever book I happen to have with me.

It's a reasonable mistake. The present participle is identical to the progressive present tense for lots of words after all, e.g. talking, talking.

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:29 am UTC

no-genius wrote:
no-genius wrote:This:
Private message from pjk49 wrote::
Hello, no_genius!

We played a timed blitz game. Through poor time management, you lost on time - irrespective of material - and you can prove it with this simple test.

Play another game on Gameknot blitz, getting down to Kings only. Then keep going till time elapses. You will certainly find that when your time elapses the system will tell you that you have lost !

Best regards

ARGHHH!!!! Does the guy even play chess?

Seriously, we were down to kings! and he suggested we play on!!!! wtmfh? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

hehe, i called him a dick! (i assume he is a guy, can't really see a lady giving that much of a shit).

Edit: i mean, if he was playing a game without time limits, and he got down to kings, would he play on then? I played badly in that game, but managed a draw, and then the fucking dick tells me i should have 'managed my time better'. What a fucking dick! How I manage my time is none of his fucking business! ARGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe the "draw by 3-fold repetition" rule prevents infinitely long chess games. Also, once a player runs out of pawns, the other player has 60 turns to achieve checkmate or the game is a draw anyway.
- Doug

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:22 pm UTC

I've always heard it as 50 rather than 60. Either way it's kinda stupid to keep playing when you're down to kings--that should be an automatic draw.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Kurasuke

Postby Kurasuke » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:35 pm UTC

I cannot stand people using "irregardless". I do laugh when people say things like "Use proper grammer" though. I have others but I cannot think of any right now.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:36 pm UTC

Kurasuke wrote:I cannot stand people using "irregardless". I do laugh when people say things like "Use proper grammer" though. I have others but I cannot think of any right now.

Irregardless, you should use proper grammer.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:42 am UTC

Most of mine are grammar-related.

The biggest one is misuse (rather, non-use) of the subjunctive tense. It exists in English, so why isn't it taught in English classes? "If I was smart like you..." should be "If I were smart..."

Another big one is overuse of "<subject> and I". I can almost stand it when people say "Me and Bob went to the store", but when people say "The gift was bought for Bob and I" it makes me want to slap them.

Another thing: Apparently, in situations such as above (store",) the punctuation is supposed to go inside the quotation mark. I hate that. My computer scientist mind feels that it makes more sense to have it outside when it's not supposed to be part of the String.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:26 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:I am annoyed with... people who think WW1 and 2 was germanys fault.

Um... what? All the history I've read suggests that World War 2 was caused largely by Hitler's expansionism, along with the eventual refusal of England to look the other way and allow another nation to be swallowed up.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:25 am UTC

Pathway wrote:Um... what? All the history I've read suggests that World War 2 was caused largely by Hitler's expansionism, along with the eventual refusal of England to look the other way and allow another nation to be swallowed up.
My understanding is that the Treaty of Versailles ended up leading to the economic ruin and military emasculation of Germany, which made it a hell of a easier for a nationalist like Hitler to come to power. They were the aggressor state, but they weren't treated fairly by the other nations. Its a little simplistic to say that it was all Germany's fault.

Edit: oh and people who say 'for free' instead of 'free' is a bit of a peeve for me.

superiority
Location: location is a social construct: rise up, throw off your geographical shackles!

Postby superiority » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:47 am UTC

warriorness wrote:the subjunctive tense

Subjunctive mood, I think you'll find.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:10 am UTC

I WILL HAVE SPOKEN ONLY IN THE EXTREMELATIVE CASE WITH THE AWESOMETIVE MOOD AND THE... WELL THE FUTURE PERFECT TENSE, GODDAMNIT! :?
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

superiority

Postby superiority » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:34 am UTC

I remember seeing Timesplitters: Future Perfect in a store for the first time, and thinking, "Hmmm...if I buy that game, then I will have bought it! Bwahahahaha!"

Seriously.

Yeah, I know. Me = !life

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:44 am UTC

superiority wrote:
warriorness wrote:the subjunctive tense

Subjunctive mood, I think you'll find.

"Mood" is stupid; the way I learned it it's a tense and so I will call it a tense >_>

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:51 am UTC

Some TV channel calls its weather forecast "Futurecast". That shit has got to go.

So does the Subaru slogan, "It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru." PUNCTUATION FOUL, BITCHES!

Return to “General”