Nerdy Pet Peeves

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have nerdy pet peeves?

Yes, lots
69%
Yes, one or two
31%

Total votes: 156

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:07 am UTC

In a similar vein, every single shift at work my ears are assaulted with the question "Is your computer clogged with pictures that you don't know what to do with?", and every single shift I want to punch something. I don't know where exactly it's wrong, I don't know what they need to do to make that sentence right (other than scrap it and start again!), but in terms of sentences that is the most lumbering, primative, slapped-together thing, and every time I hear it, my ears cry.

The other favourite is "All mortgage brokers are not the same", when really, with what he's trying to tell us it should be "not all mortgage brokers are the same". And our EFTPOS machines flash up the instruction "Enter PIN number". ARGH!

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:33 am UTC

people who mix up positioning of the word just, as in:

'you can't just do that'
and
'you just can't do that'

THEY'RE TWO DIFFERENT SENTENCES DAMMIT
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:49 am UTC

warriorness wrote:
superiority wrote:
warriorness wrote:the subjunctive tense

Subjunctive mood, I think you'll find.

"Mood" is stupid; the way I learned it it's a tense and so I will call it a tense >_>

What you learned was wrong. The subjunctive, as a linguistic term, is a type of mood, and not a grammatical tense. Spanish, for instance, has several different inflections that can be termed "subjunctives" (I want to say four, but I might be mistaken on that), that differ in tense/aspect too.

Now, it happens that in many European and other languages, it occurs that the subjunctive mood is marked in a similar way as tense/aspect, or that the morphemes that indicate mood and tense are fusional (i.e., there's no way that you can point to part of a verb inflection and say that one part inidicates one grammatical category and another part indicates another, separate category). So in certain cases it makes sense to classify the subjunctive mood in the same way that you'd classify tense, and so informally you will generally be understood if you refer to the subjunctive as a "tense", even though that is wrong from a strict linguistic perspective. It certaintly ain't "stupid" to call it a mood.

I now have a new pet peeve; people who post linguistic pet peeves that don't impede understanding in any way, especially if they don't have their facts straight. And the demonization of natural linguistic change in spoken language as something "bad" or "incorrect". You act like it's some kind of God-given Order that English has to have different Nominative and Accusative pronouns, or that prepositions cannot occur at the end of a clause on pain of death! Languages change, folks, and the rules of a language's spoken register are determined by popular usage. If people actually say "Me and Tim went to the ball" or "I know that I was on fire", then the language is changing so that the pronoun "I" and a separate subjunctive are being lost. This is how languages have changed for tens of thousands of years. This is how English went from Proto-Indo European's 7-case system (roughly) to our current system where we only mark a Nominative/Accusative distinction, and that only on certain pronouns. This is how come "Hwæt, we Gardena in geardagum" is no longer correct English (or even recognizable in English), even though it was correct enough to make it into Beowulf a millenium and a half ago. Language changes, and it's silly to get mad at it.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:32 am UTC

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE GREET ME WITH, "what's up?"

It just irks me, right here! *jabs pancreas* Or... well around there! But seriously, I can't stand it! So I started responding to it in a really obnoxious way, like by saying, "What is up? Why, up IS the opposite direction to the summative forces of gravity upon your physical being! I suppose you could also say that up is simply the opposite of down, or that up is where your head is. Don't confuse up with up-your-arse, which is where my shoe might get stuck next time you ask me that question."
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

hrryank

Postby hrryank » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:12 am UTC

People abusing "begging the question." "Velociraptor intelligence has increased at an exponential rate. This begs the question: who's lunch are you going to be?" Begs the question? IT DOES NO SUCH THING!!!
That's one of it's meanings - outside of the study of logic, the same phrase has a similar but different usage, namely the one

Like "theory"? Jesus almighty if people would settle down and get an objective non-emotional-knee-jerk-omfg definition this world would be a better place
People mixing up effect and affect.
People mixing up continuous and continual. It's one of those things that can make you sound smart, but people are fail when they misuse the words.
Yes, I just said "are fail." It's a colloquialism from Red vs. Blue.
I can deal with "netspeak" (I engage in it continually), but when people say "r u" it makes me want to rip their canines out and shove pointy chopsticks into the holes.
I hate "I'm lovin' it" and "Where you at?" I AM NOT LOVING ANYTHING. I DON'T FUCKING CARE WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED PRESENTLY, OR WHERE I AM, OR IF YOU KNOW WHERE I AM, OR IF I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!!!

Phew, that feels better.
Raptor Apologist, bitch.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:30 am UTC

"I'm lovin' it" sure beats... erm... what was that other slogan they tried again?

Oh yeah:Image

Yes. McDonalds claims their cheeseburgers are so good you will wish to perform sexual intercourse with them.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:07 pm UTC

Aoeniac wrote:"Yes. McDonalds claims their cheeseburgers are so good you will wish to perform sexual intercourse with them.

Which is of course an absurd suggestion. Whereas their apple pies are just asking for it.

Framling

Postby Framling » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:38 pm UTC

Homophone confusion.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
their = belonging to them
they're = they are
there = not here

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

I guess my area of expertise in the world of subjects would be language. English and french, really. But more English. So, it really bothers me when someone misspells something that is really easy to spell. I'm sure that pretty much everyone here feels that way, but I've been like this since I can remember. In grade 2, a girl asked me how to spell "of". She thought there was a "v" instead of an "f". I pretty much freaked out at her. "You're in grade 2 already! You should be able to spell that!" Needless to say, I got in trouble for that. Oh well. It just confuses me when people in my grade aren't as able in school as I am. I feel that I'm very unintelligent myself, comparitively (with other people.. Not these idiots.), so how can these people be even less intelligent than I am?

I also get really mad in french class when people volunteer to read out whatever book we're working on at the moment (It got particularily difficult during Marius by Marcel Pagnol, because of the way they speak in the south of France) and they completely butcher the words. Or say a word with a similar spelling but completely different pronounciation and MEANING. I mean, if you stumble over the words and go back to correct yourself, fine, but don't just keep going. I think they just don't realise the mistake they've made. :x

digitrev

Postby digitrev » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:04 am UTC

My personal issue is when people use horribly ambiguous language, and then can't explain what they actually meant with a synonym. It's especially bad when talking to people online. Even worse is when people forget words. Though it happens so often, that I automatically correct people's sentences into the proper form.
Together we will make the octopus nervous.

Anoria

Postby Anoria » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:07 am UTC

svk1325 wrote:* use the word "addicting" as an adjective. You have no idea how many times my friends do this. Next time, I will whack them with whatever book I happen to have with me
[...]
* use internet acronyms to the point that it takes longer to interpret than type. It is so annoying, I sometimes wish that I could throw something at them over the internet. Learn to type, dang it.

YES. My biggest issue with netspeak is that it actually gets in the way of comprehension. I play one massively multiplayer space conquest game, and most of the people I play with are much more involved, playing WoW and such, and use gamerspeak much more fluently (and I admit that it's with actual neccessity when it's a real-time game) than I do. I'll get a message saying "u get pds n kill cap, ur guy no have pegs" and have to ask for clarification three times before I know whether "pds" was a typo of "pods/pod-ships" or an abbreviation for "personal defenses" which also come into play and UGH.

However:
svk1325 also wrote:* try to memorize pi as far as they possibly can. It's pointless, since 20 decimal places is enough to draw a circle around our galaxy with +10^-6 cm accuracy.

I see that as along the line of memorizing poetry - I do both. Pi is something convenient and semi-popular that people who need something egotistical and harmless to do with their brains can have good fun with. Writing out what I know of it around the edge of my scratch paper helps me relax before exams, even more than starting on Earendil was a mariner... does. Knowing pi to a dozen or four decimal places doesn't make you smart, but it's harmless.

Also, I'm a guerrilla grammar nazi. I erase misplaced apostrophes on whiteboards around my uni, and use the Sharpie on my keychain to change things on signs in stores when necessary.
Conversely (it annoys me that I still don't know the exact distinction between inverse and converse, even though I've looked it up several times), it annoys me when certain of my English friends correct American spellings whenever they see them, including sometimes in my writing. I already got cheated out of the cool accent by being born in the wrong place, I don't deserve to be looked down upon because I didn't learn to spell "color" with a u too.

Wow, that's one heck of a first post. Hi all, by the way :P

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:57 am UTC

aisling wrote:I guess my area of expertise in the world of subjects would be language. English and french, really. But more English. So, it really bothers me when someone misspells something that is really easy to spell.

Someone on another thread wrote "...paralell (sp?)...", so being a mod, I just fixed it and removed the brackets.

And that is why I love wikis.

One of my pet peeves is that it is the editor, not the writer, that makes the headlines in a newspaper. You go to all the effort to get the reporter to understand that there are bike lanes, and there are pathways [that are not restricted to bicycles], and so the article doesn't mention "bike paths" once. But the editor has to go and make the headline "something something bike paths".

The reporter also doesn't write the callouts and summaries. I had one newspaper quote me as saying that it is safest to cycle in the middle of the road.

On the other hand, it's nice to have an editor's balls in your hand (metaphorically) when you call to complain. So afraid.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Anoria

Postby Anoria » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:34 am UTC

Oh, forgot one.

"Definately."

Twitch.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:44 am UTC

I'll get a message saying "u get pds n kill cap, ur guy no have pegs" and have to ask for clarification three times before I know whether "pds" was a typo of "pods/pod-ships"

So, Caldari then?

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:36 pm UTC

aisling wrote:I guess my area of expertise in the world of subjects would be language. English and french, really. But more English. So, it really bothers me when someone misspells something that is really easy to spell. I'm sure that pretty much everyone here feels that way, but I've been like this since I can remember. In grade 2, a girl asked me how to spell "of". She thought there was a "v" instead of an "f". I pretty much freaked out at her. "You're in grade 2 already! You should be able to spell that!" Needless to say, I got in trouble for that. Oh well. It just confuses me when people in my grade aren't as able in school as I am. I feel that I'm very unintelligent myself, comparitively (with other people.. Not these idiots.), so how can these people be even less intelligent than I am?

I also get really mad in french class when people volunteer to read out whatever book we're working on at the moment (It got particularily difficult during Marius by Marcel Pagnol, because of the way they speak in the south of France) and they completely butcher the words. Or say a word with a similar spelling but completely different pronounciation and MEANING. I mean, if you stumble over the words and go back to correct yourself, fine, but don't just keep going. I think they just don't realise the mistake they've made. :x

Grade 2 is seven years old in America?

Also, (and I will award one internet for anyone getting this), I see that french thing could be a real pain in the neck...
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Framling

Postby Framling » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

aisling wrote:I also get really mad in french class when people volunteer to read out whatever book we're working on at the moment (It got particularily difficult during Marius by Marcel Pagnol, because of the way they speak in the south of France) and they completely butcher the words. Or say a word with a similar spelling but completely different pronounciation and MEANING. I mean, if you stumble over the words and go back to correct yourself, fine, but don't just keep going. I think they just don't realise the mistake they've made. :x

You would have hated me in French class. Honestly, I don't know how people that are that lazy about consonants can be that picky about vowels. They've got, what, a hundred and forty trillion distinct (to them) vowel sounds?

As for digits of pi, I was in a quiz-bowl-type thing once in high school where, after about half a dozen tie-breakers to determine a winner, the mediator threw up his hands and said "Whoever can list the most digits of pi wins." I knew four more than the math professor they had on hand, and way more than the other team. Won each person on my team forty bucks.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
their = belonging to them
they're = they are
there = not here

fredxor

Postby fredxor » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

-MySpace

-"gangsta" stuff

-Emo people - other people have it a lot worse than you! For instance, your mom might make you go to bed at ten, but the kid in the third world country has to worry about what he's going to eat tomarrow.

-yuppie people (you know the rich people who wear expensive sweaters around their shoulders and speak out of their noses)

-snobby people

-racist people

-conspiracy theorists

-fundamentalists

-hell houses - trying to scare people into joining a religion

-how what children are taught by many religions gets a free pass when if it were not part of a religion, it would be considered child abuse

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

fredxor wrote:-MySpace

-"gangsta" stuff

-Emo people - other people have it a lot worse than you! For instance, your mom might make you go to bed at ten, but the kid in the third world country has to worry about what he's going to eat tomarrow.

-yuppie people (you know the rich people who wear expensive sweaters around their shoulders and speak out of their noses)

-snobby people

-racist people

-conspiracy theorists

what he said
also:
Basic Human Decency
those 'new atheists' that are supposedly raiding youtube and giving atheists a bad name
wtf is happening to america? all these stupid, rights-violating laws keep getting passed. stand up for yourselves
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

fredxor

Postby fredxor » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 pm UTC

HYPERiON wrote:wtf is happening to america? all these stupid, rights-violating laws keep getting passed. stand up for yourselves

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Whenever I talk to people my age about it (mid teens, ~15-18), they tell me that it's a good idea to limit our rights so much and that we shouldn't have so many rights. It greatly upsets me.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

Framling wrote:You would have hated me in French class. Honestly, I don't know how people that are that lazy about consonants can be that picky about vowels. They've got, what, a hundred and forty trillion distinct (to them) vowel sounds?

Actually, the consonants can be quite as annoying. For instance, the difference between the verb "mourir" conjugated in imparfait, using "Je ..." (I ...) as an example, is "Je mourais". Quite simple to pronounce. However, "mourir" conjugated in futur simple is "Je mourrai". There are 2 "r"s. Do you know how annoying it is to distinguish the pronounciation of those two? If one were to take away the second "r" in the futur simple version of the verb, then you would find that they are both pronounced exactly the same, even though the futur simple doesn't have an "s". But that phacking double r makes it so you have to "roll" your "r". Goddamit.

I like how I used the verb "to die" as an example :D

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Whenever I talk to people my age about it (mid teens, ~15-18), they tell me that it's a good idea to limit our rights so much and that we shouldn't have so many rights. It greatly upsets me.

Well they're right. Teenagers shouldn't have rights.

And they should get the hell off my lawn.

::shakes cane::

In all seriousness, though, they actually said that? How depressing.

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:20 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:wtf is happening to america? all these stupid, rights-violating laws keep getting passed. stand up for yourselves

They are too comfortable in their SUVs and prime-time TV to bother.

fredxor

Postby fredxor » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 pm UTC

I recently acquired a new pet peeve: nonsensical slang phrases

My friend uses this wierd phrase which he picked up at his school:
Good lookin' out

It's generally used in a manner that means, "good job completing that task", or the like. I had to ask him what the hell he meant by it after he used it the first 5 times.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 am UTC

fredxor wrote:I recently acquired a new pet peeve: nonsensical slang phrases

My friend uses this wierd phrase which he picked up at his school:
Good lookin' out

It's generally used in a manner that means, "good job completing that task", or the like. I had to ask him what the hell he meant by it after he used it the first 5 times.

hehe, i really like a lot of these when they spring up, over here you get some great slang words and it's fun to either try to work out where they came from, or just revel in the fact that by meaning nothing, they actually mean more than they could've before
slow down, you move too fast

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

An english teacher at my school insists on calling things he finds good, "Well choc chip" on the grounds that "well mint" doesn't make sense, and then "choc chip" tastes better.

StuMo

Postby StuMo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

My first pet peeve that I can think of is when people draw a radical like this:

Code: Select all

______
    / number
 \/

Instead of like this:

If they don't draw that little closing bit at the end, how on Earth am I supposed to know which numbers are underneath the square root sign and which are just outside of it? It's like opening a bracket without closing it, oh it makes me mad.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:An english teacher at my school insists on calling things he finds good, "Well choc chip" on the grounds that "well mint" doesn't make sense, and then "choc chip" tastes better.

you're in the uk aren't you? ever seen nathan barley? it's by chris morris (who is a genius) and it is a brilliant scathing satire of fashionable cultuure etc... but my point is that the characters are always making up ridiculous ones of these such as "well jackson", "well shitbox" or "well weapon". anyway, the show is great is the gist of this i guess...
slow down, you move too fast

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:53 am UTC

I had some friends who used 'jackson' to replace any word they saw fit. There was a message on the whiteboard in their kitchen that they were out of jacksons. They meant rubbish bags. And everyone knew that.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:13 am UTC

StuMo wrote:My first pet peeve that I can think of is when people draw a radical like this:

______
    / number
 \/

Instead of like this:

If they don't draw that little closing bit at the end, how on Earth am I supposed to know which numbers are underneath the square root sign and which are just outside of it? It's like opening a bracket without closing it, oh it makes me mad.

You're supposed to wrap the radical operation in quotes,

_________
\/(5+5+5+5+5+5+5)

i hurd u liek mudkips???

StuMo

Postby StuMo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:35 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:You're supposed to wrap the radical operation in quotes,

_________
\/(5+5+5+5+5+5+5)

On the computer, yes, but I'm talking about on paper.

Anyway, more pet peeves that I have:
People that say "quotes" when they mean "parentheses". ;)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:47 pm UTC

StuMo wrote:My first pet peeve that I can think of is when people draw a radical like this:

______
    / number
 \/

Instead of like this:

I just draw the top line all the way across the numbers I want to encompass. I've never come across the closing bit; that said, I don't do so much maths any more.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

______
    / number
 \/

Instead of like this:

I fix that problem not by closing the radical but by putting everything else BEFORE it. People write these stupid things like sqrt(5) pi or sqrt(5) i or something like that...just write it as pi sqrt(5) or i sqrt(5) and everything is dealt with.

StuMo

Postby StuMo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:47 pm UTC

I hate when people say "right way up" when they're talking about something being oriented correctly, I don't get that. I think that if something is oriented correctly then the proper description should be "right way right" or "up way up".

Something similar to this that annoys me is the phrase "head over heels", in reference to being in an odd position. But your head is over your heels in NORMAL standing positions. If you've tripped on something or something then your state should be described as "heels over head".

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

In response to several things:

"Good looking out," should mean, "Thanks. I almost screwed up there, but you saved me from potential embarrassment." Using it to mean, "Good job completing that task," is crazy like a box.

"Jackson" = "Smurf"

Grade 2 is generally seven years old in America, since kindergarten is typically started at the age of five. Kindergarten, first grade, second grade.

Instead of homophones, homographs. While context usually prevents any misunderstandings, I have run into confusions stemming from the word "read". "I read this." Are you saying that you read, past tense, this particular update, or do you read, present tense, this site in a continual sense?

'sup?

This isn't really a nerdy pet peeve, but I'm throwing it in regardless: people who don't play 8-ball by the real rules. So many people are used to 'bar rules' that when I try to play the proper way, they are convinced I'm trying to cheat. The ball does not go behind the head string after a scratch! (Unless it's off the break, but that's not the point)

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

StuMo wrote:I hate when people say "right way up" when they're talking about something being oriented correctly, I don't get that. I think that if something is oriented correctly then the proper description should be "right way right" or "up way up".

They're using right's well-known other meaning: correct.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

fredxor wrote:

I'm almost done reading a book called "Not in front of the children" by Marjorie Heins. It talks about the history of censorship in the US and the UK, particularly the legal angle, and how absurd the debate is on protection vs. rights. It's a good read.

aldimond wrote:
StuMo wrote:I hate when people say "right way up" when they're talking about something being oriented correctly, I don't get that. I think that if something is oriented correctly then the proper description should be "right way right" or "up way up".

They're using right's well-known other meaning: correct.

See above for the third.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

xnull

Postby xnull » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

People who think you explode in space.
People who think their name tells them something deep and meaningful about themselves.
People who scroll down every line of code indead of using grep.
People who take pictures of their iPods.
Dane Cook.
This statement is false.

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

xnull wrote:People who think you explode in space.

If Internal pressure > External Pressure => Pressure wants to be even on both sides, wall between internal and external not strong enough to withstand the pressure = explosion, doesn't it? You vapourise (or, at least liquidify, or failing that, internal fluids vapourise resulting in big internal pressure = explosion) because there's so little pressure?

xnull

Postby xnull » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

That isn't the case at all. You do swell a little bit, but human tissue is able to hold itself together. You just have to make sure you exhale within the first few seconds your your lungs will explode.

Run a quick google search to verify it. http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=741 is one of the better links.
This statement is false.

der_bAUer

Postby der_bAUer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

I cannot stand:
    My Computer Science Teacher (knows nothing about CS, but complaining would only have any effect if the whole class would complain, and the others are content with a teacher who gives a B or C 'for free' without requiring any effort at all.

Neo-Nazis (how can people even be as stupid as to vote for NPD?)

German Telecom. And DSL ads. Hell, by the time we get a reasonable broadband connection to the internet, and not just to the web via a proxy and satellite, I will probably have moved into a student flat already, where I can get normal DSL, and won't have any time to play online games.

Being kicked out of Warcraft III online games because I have ISDN.

Return to “General”