Nerdy Pet Peeves

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you have nerdy pet peeves?

Yes, lots
69%
Yes, one or two
31%

Total votes: 156

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Nerdy Pet Peeves

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
LaserGuy wrote: Someone who is passionately interested in say, watching/following/playing basketball would generally not be considered a nerd.

If you have ever been around a rabid sports fan rattling off statistics, following a fantasy team online, or discussing the inherent strategic differences between players, you would say otherwise.

Obviously LaserGuy is not nerdy enough to be a sports Nerd. He might as well just get up and go get another beer from the concession stand, because he is clearly not even paying attention to the game.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:17 pm UTC

philsov wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
LaserGuy wrote: Someone who is passionately interested in say, watching/following/playing basketball would generally not be considered a nerd.

If you have ever been around a rabid sports fan rattling off statistics, following a fantasy team online, or discussing the inherent strategic differences between players, you would say otherwise.

Some people's ability to recite the offensive roster for the majority of NFL teams (as they change year to year) is really an impressive feat. It's the equivalent of being able to name the majority of pokemon, only with less social derision. But I fear we're dipping too close to the nerd vs geek thing.

Indeed, my only hope is that someday i am as passionate about ANYTHING as they are about that stuff.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

Hopefully ones with better social skills and hygiene regiments.

Oh come on!

You were doing really well about being inclusive, and then jump on the whole "basement-dwelling neckbeards" thing?

Whatever. I agree with 90% of what you said -- I have absolutely no issue with people not being "devoted enough", or even being "jocks who are interested in this stuff now", just like I don't have an issue with someone being ignorant of science until they take pride in that ignorance. I'm saying that it's rubbing salt into the wound when the specific assholes who oppressed you for being a nerd now try to coopt that from you while continuing to oppress you. The guys yelling at female cosplayers at cons are absolutely going into full-on McCarthyist witchhunting bullshit, no arguments with that, but let's not claim that every single eyeroll or ounce of disgust at someone claiming to be a nerd is unjustified.

There're absolutely fake nerds, and they're the ones more concerned with finding a reason to ostracize others or call others "too obsessed/creepy/emotionally stunted/outgoing/pretty/etc." than to just enjoy their hobby.

(Yes, I'm aware that includes the gatekeepers being complained about. I agree they're asshats.)
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:You're welcome to like sci-fi or fantasy or comics or whatever shit you want. You're welcome to immerse yourself in the fandoms of those communities as much as you want. That doesn't mean you're a nerd.
Really? You have a rather odd definition of what makes someone a nerd. What the hell else criteria does someone need to meet if being obsessed with a particular fandom isn't enough for you?

Well...I would expect More.

Obsessed Masses are Entertaining all on their own.
Still...Hang up your Nerd Badge if all you have done is memorize imaginary shit.

A Real Nerd memorizes Real Shit.
Like, The Periodic Table.

I know; The Seven Dwarfs does not count as Real.
That is like Pokeman. Random Delightful Imaginary Facts.

ech.
You Go Nerds.
Go to The Show.

Do we get to Loop all the way back around?
What do you Know?
How do you Know it?

Why would anyone express disapproval of a person that understands a subject better than a Fan of that subject?
Well..?How many US Evangelical Protestant Preachers want to discuss The Nature of God with Eastern Philosophers?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:
Hopefully ones with better social skills and hygiene regiments.

Oh come on!

You were doing really well about being inclusive, and then jump on the whole "basement-dwelling neckbeards" thing?

Too many memories of LAN events where only a few of us would bother to leave to shower.

Day 2 wasn't so bad. Day 5? Jesus Christ.

And yes, part of the nerd identity currently involves poor social skills. Which creates the cycle of people who are nerds not wanting to self-identify as such, and people who are nerds not understanding that people don't give a shit that they wear Star Trek shirts (except for Chad, but he's a dick to everyone)... people give a shit that it's the only fucking thing the nerd talks about - whether or not people are giving the nonverbal social cues that say "Shut the fuck up already, we get it, you think Kirk is the best Captain. You're also an idiot, because Picard runs rings around him, and Sisko runs rings around Picard"

But yes, being basement dwelling Ablutophobics is in no way a requirement for being a nerd. It is, however, part of the outsider's view. So doing everything in our power to make sure people who really aren't that nerdy have no problem self-identifying as one is a good thing.

So's bathing. And letting the socially oblivious control the identity by virtue of them simply being the only ones speaking is fucking moronic. You can call yourself a sports fanatic if the only thing you do is follow the Chicago Bulls. You don't like other teams, you don't like other sports, you don't even live in Chicago, you just like the Bulls and follow their games? No one cares if you call yourself a sports fanatic.

Don't give a shit about anything nerdy but Dr. Who? You're called a fake.

Fuck that. Who gives a shit that Dr. Who's popular right now? Who gives a shit if that is a person's first encounter with Sci-Fi? Throw a few other suggestions at them, if you must. If they bite - great! If they don't and just stick with Who - and even then, just stick with the 9th one onward (as apparently that's important? I know fuck all about Who) who gives a shit? Doesn't hurt you in any way that they call themselves a nerd because they watch Who. Because they're a fucking nerd who watches Dr. Who.

(and yes, I did have to look up ablutophobia. I'm not that up on Phobia names, just know they exist. And hilariously to me at least, it's more common in women.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

LAN, whatever that is, is a five day CampIn?
That sounds like fun.

Yes. Your group of people might smell bad for a few days.
Real Campers smell bad too. Well...Some do. It's Tricky.

Camping inside a City with Five Hundred People that Understand The World the same way you do?
It sounds Great!

Now. How can you live that Life, EveryDay?
Do you want to? Or; Would they get on your Nerves?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

If you'll notice, I'm not at all advocating gatekeeping. I agree that nerds should encourage everyone around them to enjoy their own brand of nerdism.

I have two claims:
1) There is definitely some co-opting going on, and the reason it's noxious is not that they aren't "true nerds", it's that it's being done while they continue to kick downward (whether that be against the introverted, or girls, or cosplayers, or what have you).

and

So's bathing. And letting the socially oblivious control the identity by virtue of them simply being the only ones speaking is fucking moronic.

2) Switching gears midsentence to kick down at those you think are "dirty" or "socially maladjusted" is also noxious.

By all means, build a big tent (it's what I always try to do), but don't try to kick out the people who were there first.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

If the tent's full of shitty people, I'll build my own.

With blackjack. And hookers.

Seriously, I can't find much to disagree with there. Maybe something about kicking shitty people out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:If you'll notice, I'm not at all advocating gatekeeping. I agree that nerds should encourage everyone around them to enjoy their own brand of nerdism.

I have two claims:
1) There is definitely some co-opting going on, and the reason it's noxious is not that they aren't "true nerds", it's that it's being done while they continue to kick downward (whether that be against the introverted, or girls, or cosplayers, or what have you).

and

So's bathing. And letting the socially oblivious control the identity by virtue of them simply being the only ones speaking is fucking moronic.

2) Switching gears midsentence to kick down at those you think are "dirty" or "socially maladjusted" is also noxious.

By all means, build a big tent (it's what I always try to do), but don't try to kick out the people who were there first.

What if someone comes along and tells you,
"Your efforts are needed in The Real World."
"Put The Game down and Look Up."

Would that be one of those Super Judgmental Types that does not understand Nerd?

I must ask:
Are you dirty?
Why?

Are you socially maladjusted?
Why?

I am not dirty.
I do seem to be socially maladjusted.

I may be ill adjusted to the Social Life of Prisons.
I am also ill adjusted to your Nerd Social Life.

I don't do well with the Tea Bag crowd.
I'm not Gay enough to be a Drag Queen.

My Religion and Geo-Politial views make me unpopular with The Ruling Party.
(I can keep those Ideas to myself. Most of the Time.)

I dress funny.
I tried dressing Normal.

That didn't work.

Others knew I was Not one of them.
And; I was as comfortable as a Pig on RollerSkates.

Who is Kicking you to The Gutter?
Why? Because you are weird?

Hell-o. I'd like you to meet me.
Pound for pound I out-weird you.
(i am willing to bet on it)

I suffer the social consequences for that, too.
I can't stop being Me!

You should try it.
It's hard!

And; Darned Lonely.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm UTC

Are you dirty?
Why?

No.

Are you socially maladjusted?
Why?

No, because being an introvert isn't "maladjusted".

Who is Kicking you to The Gutter?
Why? Because you are weird?

Among a litany of other examples, the people who got me expelled in multiple schools -- once because I responded with a sarcastic "yes" to some taunt I didn't understand as they were bullying me with a teacher's approval, another time because I have some sort of psychosomatic BS that makes it impossible for me to stay awake in meetings/most classes, despite retaining high grades and good behavior -- meanwhile the popular kids who frequently ridiculed me get to stay, despite their also breaking various laws. I guess maybe I'm at fault there for trying to be a mensch and not tattling on them.

I'm not concerned with who gets to "qualify" as a nerd, I'm concerned with the idea that people frustrated at being pushed out of enjoying the few things they have left are "shitty people". Because, yeah, having the people who tormented you start showing up to the comic book shop you frequent makes it hard for you to go there, and it really doesn't matter whether they like it sincerely or not, now you can't go there because you don't want to put up with any more ridicule. Sometimes the ones acting as gatekeepers and claiming to be "true nerds" are the ones doing the bullying. Doesn't stop me from being able to go there.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:51 am UTC

This is not about being a Nerd.
This is about being Bullied and Intimidated.

That is the way I read your post.
When you are at school or work,
You can be and have been hurt.

You had One safe place.
Where you were understood and treated well.

People that have hurt and frightened you showed up.
That! Is Fucking! Horrible! I am so sorry.

These are the exact same people that Bullied you in the Past?
argh.. I have no idea how to contend with the problem you have.

Other Posters here may very well have better answers than I do.
If you had Three Larger Older Brothers, we would not be having this conversation.

I know what it is like to have one's heart sink when a person walks into the room.
or; When required to walk into a room with a Problem.

I know it is possible to gain or regain a fearlessness.
It is Not possible to do that all on your own.

That is not about Nerd.
That is about Bullying.

Some people want to know what you did to deserve being Bullied.
You and I know, if it were not you, it would be someone else.

My guess is;
It, just, happened to be you.

It is So hard to stand up to Bullies.
I think it is a good idea for people that are not the Target to speak up.

That is Hard, too.
Bullies can change Targets, fast.

I am so sorry.
(fuck) The world starts to look very very small.
Does it not?

I'd go there with you.
Then we would be an InGroup.
They would be an OutGroup.

We could play that Game until they lost the ability to read.
Have you ever read In-Group/Out-Group dynamics?

Internet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-group_favoritism
That is Basic Stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups
some more of the Same.

Will reading that stuff help?
A Little.

It will let you know, you are part of an In-Group.
They make you feel like The Out-Group.

That is a very painful thing to do to a Human Being.
The way we are HardWired does not allow us to Thrive under such conditions.

You have both a right and a responsibility to Make a Change.
How? You must get the assistance of Other Real Humans.

Who do you have to turn to?
If you were within several hundred miles of me,
I'd give it a Go.

I might not fix anything.
Almost nothing would be The Same.

Think about it.
How funny would That Be?

I'd do it in a Flash.
I might piss off your little Not Friends.

We would need a Plan B.

Run? No way.
We need a Taxi waiting.

Walk with a Steady Gate.
Keep your eyes forward.

I will insult them and be right behind you.
All you need is a bunch of Big Brothers.

Where are you going to get That?
Tell your Mom what a disappointment she is.
You need Brothers! What did she give you?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:If you'll notice, I'm not at all advocating gatekeeping. I agree that nerds should encourage everyone around them to enjoy their own brand of nerdism.

I have two claims:

The "kicking downward" is just as terrible regardless of if co-opting happens or not. Wearing a batman t-shirt while saying something does not make you more or less of a jackass.

Uh, terrible bathing habits are a legitimate issue. Not all communication is verbal. Have you never seen a kid and his dad walk into a room of particularly smelly gamers, stop, get hit by a wave of odor, turn around and walk out? That's a sign that those folks ARE creating a problem that's keeping folks out.

Full Disclosure: I own a gaming store. This is a significant ongoing issue that needs to be managed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm UTC

I'm spoiled by my comic shop. I'll admit it. Place is clean, isn't cramped at all, dudes behind the counter are super friendly and don't say a goddamn thing about what someone's buying. If anything, they look at what you're buying and do the right thing of suggesting more stuff like it that you may not have seen. They'll sit and discuss stuff with patrons, sure.. but at the same time when you get near the counter they put the conversation on hold and see if you're ready to go or whatever.

There's a couple of other shops around town that vary on those, but the only other one that comes close is a bit too far away. And there's some that fit a ton of the stereotypes and are just unpleasant to go in because of that. Some I've basically had to wait a few minutes for the conversation the clerk and another customer were in to hit a lull before I could actually pay for my crap and go. Some are dark and cramped and because of that always feel overcrowded even though there's only one or two other people in the shop with you. Some have clerks who quite literally make fun of what a person's buying, usually not to their face...but sometimes to their face. Which is jaw-droppingly moronic. And some just have unwashed gamer smell.

Which is.. one thing if it's a one time thing. It's quite another when it's a permanent part of the store. No place of business should have unwritten rules about not going to the place on Thursday because that's the day they have in-store events and more than half the crowd hasn't bathed in a week despite the average age being 35.

And that's before we even get into the shops that give my wife weird looks for, y'know.. being a girl and only seem to back out when they realize she's with me. And then find it weird when she buys something.

So yeah, treating someone like they don't belong when you don't know them simply because they appear to possess different dangly bits? That's a shitty person, and I've got no problem kicking them out of the Nerdom tent or, if they won't go, making a better one.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:00 pm UTC

may I ask how things so quickly developed to swinging ban boots around the nerd tents and calling people smelly?

Honestly, I know there are some really, really, vile people out in the nerd community, but when you start outright banning people from nerdom left and right, when does it end? today, its hygiene standards, tomorrow it'll be the vocabulary you use to discuss nerd subjects, and someday down the road someone feels the almighty banhamemr for wearing the wrong shirt.

lets just all agree to calm down a bit, and go by a case by case basis. if someone smells like a high school locker room, regardless of nerd or not, yes, im gonna tell em to take a shower. setting up a "bathed nerds only tent" is just going to exacerbate the problem.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:06 pm UTC

So yeah, treating someone like they don't belong when you don't know them simply because they appear to possess different dangly bits? That's a shitty person, and I've got no problem kicking them out of the Nerdom tent or, if they won't go, making a better one.

And I've said multiple times that I don't like the bullies. If that's what you meant by "better social skills", I guess I don't have a problem with it, but the fact that you said it in the same breath as criticizing people for whatever health/hygiene issues are their own damn business made it seem an awful lot like shaming people for being introverted.

I'm with you on not letting the bullies control the culture. God, am I with you on that. But there's bits where I felt you went too far.

lets just all agree to calm down a bit, and go by a case by case basis. if someone smells like a high school locker room, regardless of nerd or not, yes, im gonna tell em to take a shower. setting up a "bathed nerds only tent" is just going to exacerbate the problem.

And sometimes they just don't have a place to shower.

I've met homeless nerds. Gave one a ride to the busstop from a YuGiOh tournament. Why he had time and money to play YuGiOh instead of getting food (which, yeah, I bought for him) I dunno, but it's not my place at all to say he's not allowed to participate because he smells weird.

That's one of the reasons why picking on the stereotypical nerd for having "poor hygiene" really ticks me off.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:16 pm UTC

Fair points.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Fair points.

This, this right here is why you are my role model, sexytalon :D

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:26 pm UTC

Nah, if I was a role model, I'd have added "I'm probably in the wrong here" at the end of that.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:46 pm UTC

That thing about a person having to choose between
A. Taking a Bath and Eating.
B. Nurturing The Soul with Social and Intellectual Pursuits.

That's fucked up.
That is a fucked up Choice for a Human Being to be forced into.

If this issue touches your chosen culture,
You Must Speak Up and Act Up.

If by some reason, unknown to me, the sort of folk that use their imaginations the way Gamers do lose Physical Inhibitions.
Well....Physical Inhibitions?

I know Homeless People go without 21st Century Hygiene.
It does not, usually, hurt a person to skip bathing.

It sure Can!
From a Public Health view,
Poor Personal Hygiene is A Big Ole' Red Flag.

Do you pass around Scabies?
Lice? Body? Hair?

How about Warts?
MERSA? Worms?

The common fucking cold?
The Flu? Syphilis?

Oh. You think not?
You think Wrong!

One person that for some reason is not able to meet basic personal hygiene standards is a problem that should be addressed.
For the Good of Many, we must provide for the Well Being of Each. An entire self selecting Group?? Call The Authorities!

(oh, fuck)Freedom. Remember?
"They hate us for our Freedom."

In Freedom we can 'Fuck Right Off'.
These are Nerds? People that do not know how or care to Bathe?

I would like to be excused from Association with such people.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:And I've said multiple times that I don't like the bullies. If that's what you meant by "better social skills", I guess I don't have a problem with it, but the fact that you said it in the same breath as criticizing people for whatever health/hygiene issues are their own damn business made it seem an awful lot like shaming people for being introverted.

Poor hygiene isn't quite the same as introverted. There are a lot of folks who are some degree of introverted and/or socially awkward, but manage to avoid being unwashed, etc. Some of the people who fall a bit short sometimes just honestly don't know, and, if everyone avoids the topic(and them), they may not realize how to improve.

And sometimes they just don't have a place to shower.

I've met homeless nerds. Gave one a ride to the busstop from a YuGiOh tournament. Why he had time and money to play YuGiOh instead of getting food (which, yeah, I bought for him) I dunno, but it's not my place at all to say he's not allowed to participate because he smells weird.

That's one of the reasons why picking on the stereotypical nerd for having "poor hygiene" really ticks me off.

I'm not worried about if he is or isn't a nerd, but if he wants to partake in a large social event, poor hygiene is going to be an issue. You get too many of those people, and you start, in practice, excluding other people.

Now yes, there's no reason to be unnecessarily rude, but sometimes you do have to as politely as possible suggest that someone is perhaps unprepared for an event, be this due to lack of bathing or dress or whatever. I'm not saying that people dress up for magic in suits and ties or anything, but...maintaining normalish social standards is part of being open to new folks.

For some reason, YuGiOh gets a strangely large share of dysfunctional people. Not a clue why, but the entire game does not exist in my store to avoid the unhealthy atmosphere.

Wallydraigle

Postby Wallydraigle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 am UTC

It kind of bothers me when they don't get plants right in like movies and stuff. Just as an example, Kirk Douglas starred in a movie called The Vikings in 1958. At one point he's standing overlooking the fjord near his Scandinavian village. The problem is that he's standing in front of a drift of goldenrod in full bloom. Solidago is a New World genus, and while goldenrods have become fashionable garden plants in Europe in recent decades, they were certainly never trod on by genuine Vikings in old Scandia. And since most directors aren't plant people, this happens all the time.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:55 am UTC

Wallydraigle wrote:It kind of bothers me when they don't get plants right in like movies and stuff. Just as an example, Kirk Douglas starred in a movie called The Vikings in 1958. At one point he's standing overlooking the fjord near his Scandinavian village. The problem is that he's standing in front of a drift of goldenrod in full bloom. Solidago is a New World genus, and while goldenrods have become fashionable garden plants in Europe in recent decades, they were certainly never trod on by genuine Vikings in old Scandia. And since most directors aren't plant people, this happens all the time.

Then you will probably love this article on Misplaced Vegetation

WARNING! TvTropes link, click at your on risk

addams

Postby addams » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:16 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
Wallydraigle wrote:It kind of bothers me when they don't get plants right in like movies and stuff. Just as an example, Kirk Douglas starred in a movie called The Vikings in 1958. At one point he's standing overlooking the fjord near his Scandinavian village. The problem is that he's standing in front of a drift of goldenrod in full bloom. Solidago is a New World genus, and while goldenrods have become fashionable garden plants in Europe in recent decades, they were certainly never trod on by genuine Vikings in old Scandia. And since most directors aren't plant people, this happens all the time.

Then you will probably love this article on Misplaced Vegetation

WARNING! TvTropes link, click at your on risk

This, I can understand.
It is so funny.

Overlooking wrist watches on Roman Solders.
And; Putting Eve on behind Barney Rubble.
(Betty will not be pleased.)

It's the Little Things, at first.
it's a slippery slope.

People don't notice the Golden Rod and the Wrist Watches.
Then they think Donald Trump and Sarah Paylin eating Pizza is a World News event.

Man raises his hand against his Brother over the Honor of The Green Lantern and Dogs and Cats are sleeping together.
Where does it Stop??

If only there was fidelity in Media.
Of course, There is the classic response.

ech, Ya' nerd.
The sky is not falling and it is only a Make Believe Story on a Screen.
Now Shush. We are having a Test on this at school, tomorrow.
My teacher says Kirk Douglas discovered America years before Columbus.

There is no fighting it.
Most Americans know there were Vikings.
They know because of TV and Movies.

Vikings eat Sheep raw on the way home from school.
Go! Mythical Man!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon May 05, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

I have two:
1) Incorrect pluralisation of pokémon (and individual pokémon names). The word pokémon and each individual pokémon name are singular and plural. One pokémon, six pokémon, three pikachu, a flock of zubat, etc. I think possibly technically they're supposed to be capitalised as well maybe? But that doesn't bother me at all, evidently.
2) Ascribing 'loyalty' to Gryffindor. Loyalty is a Hufflepuff trait. I will fight you.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 06, 2014 3:40 pm UTC

Gryffindor - Jackasses
Hufflepuff - Jackasses
Ravenclaw - Jackasses
Slytherin - Jackasses
Zerthimon - Now there's a bunch of hoopy froods who know how to party.

I like mixing media. And lying.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Tue May 06, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

2) Ascribing 'loyalty' to Gryffindor. Loyalty is a Hufflepuff trait. I will fight you.

It is kind of interesting how Rowling got us to cheer for the group of popular-kid jocks over the nerds and friendly guys.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 09, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:

It is kind of interesting how Rowling got us to cheer for the group of popular-kid jocks over the nerds and friendly guys.

yup. Ravenclaw for LIFE. screw the jocks.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:It is kind of interesting how Rowling got us to cheer for the group of popular-kid jocks over the nerds and friendly guys.

I remember reading a series of short summaries for book series, and for HP it was along the lines of "Popular jock thinks he can get away with anything. Is right."
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 10, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

it’s a story about a trust-fund jock who cheats off of his smart friend, is basically just good at sports, and who grows up to become a cop who peaked in high school. Aimed at nerds.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Sat May 10, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

yurell wrote:
KrytenKoro wrote:It is kind of interesting how Rowling got us to cheer for the group of popular-kid jocks over the nerds and friendly guys.

I remember reading a series of short summaries for book series, and for HP it was along the lines of "Popular jock thinks he can get away with anything. Is right."

Well, He is right.
Maybe, that should be a Pet Peeve.

So many people hold the stupid idea that the good guys win.
pfft.

Another bunch of people hold other ideas.
Those other ideas are Reality!

Spoiler:
In Science we like The Truth.
The truth is water is heavy.
Other clear fluids are heavier.

Who cares what we know?
Might makes fucking Right.

Who has the weight and pull.
That is the important question.

Somewhere along the line people started thinking Bad Guys were not happy like Good Guys.

What a Fucking Crock!
Bad Guys are Happy Bastards.

Good Guys are dead or miserable.
In my experience; Not all, but a lot.

That's not a peeve. Is it?
That's a Rant.

Spoilered for being a Rant not a Peeve.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sun May 11, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
it’s a story about a trust-fund jock who cheats off of his smart friend, is basically just good at sports, and who grows up to become a cop who peaked in high school. Aimed at nerds.

I keep seeing the "HARRY POTTER WAS A JOCK" thing and it's always bugged me for reasons I am still exploring. Partly it's probably because I never saw him as a "jock" and the recontextualization disturbs me. I'll admit that. Now I'm thinking it's more the "He's a JOCK. And you're supposed to CARE ABOUT HIM. And you DID care about him, despite being a NERD. You were TRICKED. You CAN'T care about a JOCK. You could NEVER sympathize with a JOCK and if you do something's gone HORRIBLY WRONG."

If it was a story about a jock? Who the fuck cares? It worked. It's not some sort of travesty that nerds read books about a jock and *gaaaasp* liked them. It's the high-school nerd/jock Ravenclaw/Slytherin divide all over again and I thought our intention was to be better than that. People analyzing the books look so often on the arbitrary House rivalries with justified disdain and yet here we are. "But you can't like him! He's a JOCK and you're a NERD!" Jesus Christ. If he'd been portrayed as the sort of jock who looked down on "nerds" I'd understand, but I remember none of that whatsoever. Zero Ravenclaw mocking. Sometimes he took Hermione's study habits as obsessionism and perfectionism and general overwork but as a Hermione myself I'd say that was pretty much accurate, and, while met with incomprehension and exasperation sometimes, I remember no contempt. (Ron sometimes maybe. But no one's complaining about Ron.) If the idea were that Harry Potter was a jock who was a dick to nerds and yet nerds liked him anyway? I'd get it. But I never see it go there. It just stops at Harry Potter was a jock and nerds liked him anyway. Like it's supposed to be a bad thing that nerds could like or show compassion for someone in a different arbitrary social category. Like jocks are inherently terrible just by virtue of being athletic. I understand that there is resentment of "jocks" because they are often dicks to "nerds" and because they are a more highly socially privileged class, but none of that makes them all inherently evil. It is not some sort of betrayal of your class to read about the more privileged and not hate them. NERDS sympathized with a JOCK? Well, GOOD, god damn it all. GOOD.

So that's my nerdy pet peeve.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun May 11, 2014 1:49 pm UTC

Was he really a "jock" though? I know this is a pretty nerdy area, but to me Jock seems to be a title which encompasses a little more than just "he's pretty good at a sport".

And, I mean, if we look at his life beforehand, and basically whenever he returns to the "normal" world, this stereotype does not generally follow.

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 11, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

There is a fine line between a Rant and a Peeve.
We seem to be planted directly on that line.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun May 11, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:"But you can't like him! He's a JOCK and you're a NERD!"
Is anyone actually saying that?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 11, 2014 5:42 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
ameretrifle wrote:"But you can't like him! He's a JOCK and you're a NERD!"
Is anyone actually saying that?

Any little Poster lacking a pet peeve can develop one.

I don't want that one.
You can have it.

The Peeve is Push Back against Peeves.
Peeves are a necessary part of human development.

Peeves come and Peeves go.
Some become woven into the fabric of our beings.

First they are Pet Peeves,
Then they are Philosophical Doctrine.

We can take a Peeve out for a spin,
without turning it into Doctrine.

Push back forces our companions to defend their Peeve.
It's like defending an acquaintance.

We are human.
We will get our Asses Kicked for someone or something we don't know well enough to care about.

Why??
Because, We take everything personally.
It is in our Nature.

That is the Good News.
That is the Bad News.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 12, 2014 2:02 am UTC

Like it's supposed to be a bad thing that nerds could like or show compassion for someone in a different arbitrary social category. Like jocks are inherently terrible just by virtue of being athletic.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that it was ironic that, where every other "teen" media aimed at nerds goes with the standard jocks vs. nerds, Rowling got us to love basically the exact stereotype that those media portray as the devil.

I have no problems with jocks, hell I was technically one of them. (I mean, I was dead last in my team and by no means a sports star, but I was still on a team.)

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Was he really a "jock" though? I know this is a pretty nerdy area, but to me Jock seems to be a title which encompasses a little more than just "he's pretty good at a sport".

And, I mean, if we look at his life beforehand, and basically whenever he returns to the "normal" world, this stereotype does not generally follow.

Sure, there's usually a certain element of anti-intellectualism, at least, per the steriotypes. Harry isn't the most bookish person around. There was also a strong element of sports-like challenge beyond the quidditch games, too. The tri-wizard tournament would be a fairly overt example.

Right, because in secret fantasy world, we ALL want to be jocks, right? :D

But yeah, it's funny because it subverts expectations, and makes you look at something differently. That's all. You don't have to hate jocks now. Or the books. It's just amusing, just like football players who make fun of the math in D&D, and proceed to memorize ALL the statistics evar.

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 12, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

I am not sure what a Jock is.
I have seen the SteoType in Media.

I knew the Captain of the Crew team.
Is that a Jock?

He was required to maintain a respectable GPA.
I have heard of corruption in Sports.

The Captain of the Crew team in a tiny little University did not dabble in corruption.
The Poor Baby had to be out of bed before I did, on some mornings.
The other mornings I slept in.

They have to be on the water before the sun comes up, for some reason.
It has to do with the wind. (shrug)

Jocks are the Bad Guys?
Nerds are the Good Guys?
What is Black Hat Guy?

ohhh. Black Hat Guy is an Individual.
He has depth and character.

It might be fucked up to be his girl friend.
Still, That Stick Figure is not a Jock.

A Jock would put him in the trunk and deliver him to The Coach?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed May 14, 2014 4:16 am UTC

FWIW, in Yudkowsky's Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality Harry is in Ravenclaw and he doesn't play Quidditch: he thinks the rules / scoring of Quidditch is stupid. The HPMOR Harry is definitely more nerd-ish than the original, but I guess he still has jock elements in his personality, e.g. he's a leader in the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor's war games.

There's a thread for this "fanfic" in the Books forum: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62115

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Wed May 14, 2014 5:37 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:FWIW, in Yudkowsky's Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality Harry is in Ravenclaw and he doesn't play Quidditch: he thinks the rules / scoring of Quidditch is stupid. The HPMOR Harry is definitely more nerd-ish than the original, but I guess he still has jock elements in his personality, e.g. he's a leader in the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor's war games.

There's a thread for this "fanfic" in the Books forum: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62115

He's a leader in the war games because he focuses on tactics and the thinking, not training the skill itself. Harry in Quidditch isn't the one behind the tactics, he's a jock who focuses on skill.

Yudkowsky's fic basically says "forget all that 'jocks and friends who are friends just to be friendly and not because they are of use to you' nonsense, let's just turn this into a standard nerdfic". Meh.

Return to “General”